Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Melon

Does UDMF entirely obsolete Doom in Hexen format?

I've been thinking this is the case, but I'm not totally sure, so I just want to double-check.

As far as I can tell, UDMF is exactly the same as Hexen format except a bunch of features are easier to use, UDMF is a bit more flexible and it is the format that will gain any new features that might be implemented. I'm aware of all the technical differences, but from the standpoint of someone who wants to map with all of ZDoom's features, is there any reason to use Hexen format now that UDMF is around?

I understand that some may still be very familiar with Hexen format and unwilling to switch over, that's fine, and that some seem to be really anal over the file size of their ZDoom map (which is silly given the differences we're talking about here). To give an example, if you've never used either format before and wanted to map with all of ZDoom's features, would there be any point in using Hexen format these days? I'm mainly wondering why some people would still rather map in Hexen format, not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, just curious.

Melon said:

I'm aware of all the technical differences, but from the standpoint of someone who wants to map with all of ZDoom's features, is there any reason to use Hexen format now that UDMF is around?

The only reason not to use UDMF for ZDoom would be if you don't have Windows, since the only UDMF-compatible map editor at the moment is inextricably tied to this OS.

Gez said:

The only reason not to use UDMF for ZDoom would be if you don't have Windows, since the only UDMF-compatible map editor at the moment is inextricably tied to this OS.

That's something I never would have considered, I guess I'm just too used to using Windows. Thanks for the info.

Gez said:

How many editors are still there for other OSs?

printz said:

How many editors are still there for other OSs?

Not very many.

Yadex is one for Linux, based on DEU (fairly primitive editing, no undo) and it hasn't been updated for 5 years or so.

I think SLADE had a Linux port too, and DB1 probably works with WINE.

So, should I adjust my Doom in Hexen format ZDoom maps?

Will it be more difficult to edit with i.e. will the selections in Doom Builder be the same?