Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkRev_666

Painkiller

Who else has played it/is playing it?

I think its great....needs the 1.6.1 patch to work right sometimes but still...

One thing that i wonder about is why there was never a custom map community for it. It would have been great.

I also find it quite lulzy that in the front flap on the Black edition of painkiller it quotes Computer Gaming World as saying "Doom Who" when referring to the game.

I liked the game yes.....but it didnt make me forget about doom lmao.

HAY GUISE

It's a fun game, but it loses a lot of its fun once you realize that it is nothing more than "Enter chamber, kill things, exit chamber, repeat". I managed to force myself through the original campaign, but I never bothered with the "Battle out of hell" expansion.

The insane asylum level was pretty cool, at least. I liked the one evil village early in the game (that also appears in the demo).

You have a point Nomad....i feel absolutely no need to finish the last level of the game....much less play Battle out of Hell.

It was really fun for a little while...

Might either of you have a good alternative? Something in the vein of serious sam and games like that?

Ignore my accidental quote of myself....

DarkRev_666 said:

You have a point Nomad....i feel absolutely no need to finish the last level of the game....much less play Battle out of Hell.

It was really fun for a little while...

Might any of you have a good alternative? Something in that vein of games....like serious sam and whatnot?

Actually the final level was kind of cool, and it was a welcome change from the kill rinse repeat from the rest of the game. Though it took me forever to figure out how the fuck to kill satan. I think I ended up having to consult GameFAQs.

I really wanted to like it but there's no real level design, just series of arenas without much purpose or sense of progression. Bosses looked cool but felt gimmicky quick. A game that was great to look at but ultimately tedious to play, for me.

I love painkiller ;/

Though I probably wouldn't play it again because I pretty much wore it out years ago.

Hell yeah, Painkiller! :)

It's great if you love mindless shooting. There's not much more to it than that, and the bosses aren't great, but the fighting is fun as hell and the weapons are nutty enough to kick all sorts of ass.

For what it's worth, I thought the BooH expansion was the best of set. A couple of disappointing maps (Lab needed more mad science and Pentagon was a waste), but others were just a blast (Loony Park, Leningrad, Stone friggin' Pit). Loved the new weapons, too -- the Boltgun is awesomely absurd.

I most definitely give the game a thumbs-up, but Overdose is worth a pass and Resurrection should never have existed.

Can levels be made for it? I didn't play it much (on my older computer it had excruciating FPS) but it looked like having tons of Doom-like potential, despite the reported (and probably confirmed) monotonous gameplay.

It's pretty good. The card system changes up the gameplay a lot, since the level design doesn't.

The "kill every monster in the room before the door opens" mechanic that plagues ninety percent of the game grows progressively more boring/annoying as the game advances.

I don't mind a couple of rooms like that in an FPS but a whole game based around it is bullshit.

Radon said:

Doom 4 needs an action soundtrack like Painkiller (1) had.

Geh, a generic hard rock loop when ever a monster comes on screen is one of the last things we need. The ambient track in the game was good enough.

On a positive note; the monsters, weapon, environments were great. The in game graphics looked better then the pre-rendered cut scenes.

Technician said:

The "kill every monster in the room before the door opens" mechanic that plagues ninety percent of the game grows progressively more boring/annoying as the game advances.

I don't mind a couple of rooms like that in an FPS but a whole game based around it is bullshit.

Geh, a generic hard rock loop when ever a monster comes on screen is one of the last things we need. The ambient track in the game was good enough.

On a positive note; the monsters, weapon, environments were great. The in game graphics looked better then the pre-rendered cut scenes.

Nah nah, not generic. Doom 3 didnt have that.. Explosive kick during a gun fight that was needed. I'm talking about some raw metal or atleast something to pump up the action.

I wouldn't mind listening to a Metal Chris Vrenna soundtrack during game play made for the title. The atmospheric quality was great, but it was lacking.

Radon said:

Doom 4 needs an action soundtrack like Painkiller (1) had.

This.

All games should have a metal soundtrack....even elder scrolls and stuff like that...lol

Im a huge metal head so i thought the soundtrack to painkiller was awesome. It was a great effect when i first got it. Unfortunately it just got overly repetitive....and then came the monastery level which put the last nail in the coffin.

I still like senselessly blasting away demons that fly away and smash into walls and polls and the like. It's kind of like Doom with ragdoll physics.

Some of the levels of Painkiller is one of the things I love about it..the docks, the asylum, the abandoned factory, the military base, the monastary..awesome scenery.

kristus said:

Mindnumbingly boring...

...and I still laugh at how some people compare it to Doom. I had enough of it after 2 episodes, never even finished it.

Serious Sam is miles ahead of it in terms of enemy variety and gameplay in general, be it TFE, TSE or even Serious Sam 2.

FFS, even something as niche and low-budget as Vivisector was way more fun than PK.

I somehow missed this when it first came out, but a friend pointed it out to me and I grabbed it off of Steam a year or two ago. It reminds me more of Blood than Doom, but I can see the similarities in the mindless-shooting-of-hordes-of-undead-critters-in-a-demonic-setting aspect...

It seems the verdict so far is something along the lines of "mindless shooter with no real reason to actually complete the game attached"

I know i didnt finish it....still liked it though.

I actually really liked it for the most part. I'll admit, I didn't finish either the original nor the expansion pack (got fed up with it once it tried to start being a platformer), but it was great for a few hours of mindless fun. There's something about nailing a druid to a wall with stakes the size of fucking tree trunks that strikes me as ridiculously awesome. The only real complaints are again, it started putting a lot of emphasis on platform jumping towards the end. Oh and the cut-scenes. Fuck those things. I didn't watch a single one because they just seemed so boring and out of place.