Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grain of Salt

The usual workaround is to make the player teleport right at the start of the map. It should be okay unless teleporters don't fit in the map thematically...

Because contrarily to player starts, teleport destinations do respect skill settings.

Couldn't you put the player start in each map in a pitch black room on a conveyor belt leading to a silent teleport to where you want him to be?

By the way, I think your idea is pretty cool.

The map format is the same, however Boom introduces linedef types that act as vectors. For example, setting friction, conveyor speeds, and other effects use the linedef's length (and sometimes direction) to set up the parameters of the effect (since Doom format doesn't have linedef arguments like in Hexen format).

Boom introduces a few cool effects: sector property transfer, like transfer ceiling/floor lights and transfer heights; point pushers and pullers; scrolling floors and wind; silent teleports; and generalized linedef types (which allow pretty much any reasonable combination of linedef triggers, actions, speed, delays, etc). Of course Boom has a lot of predefined linedef types too, including the default Doom 2 ones.

And let's not forgot Boom's creative scripting language! If your wad is for single player, you can also use Voodoo dolls on scrolling floors to trigger any combination of linedefs which can be used for many, many effects.

Since Boom is widely supported and is exponentially more flexible, it wouldn't hurt making the switch.

To address your problem, you could try one approach: have a voodoo doll on a conveyor for each skill level, and block them with decorations which are tagged according to each skill level. Depending on the skill level, only one doll will make it to a trigger on the opposite end of the conveyor. You could use this to grant or deny access to certain areas, so even if the player location is fixed, his initial path could be different depending on the skill setting. Of course I guess you could also do the teleport trick too (but I like this idea better :)

Gez said:

The usual workaround is to make the player teleport right at the start of the map. It should be okay unless teleporters don't fit in the map thematically...

Because contrarily to player starts, teleport destinations do respect skill settings.

There are silent teleporters in Boom. A conveyorbelt with the player on it with one unit between the player and the teleportline. Silent teleport, player never know the difference.

Grain of Salt said:

EDIT: Yes, that works perfectly. Now I wonder if I could use Boom's sky transfer stuff to replace that moment of darkness with a fullscreen graphic...

Boom has no sky transfer. It's an MBF feature.