Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

A list of DOOM's hellspawn

Of course we all know doom's hellspawn and what they do, but I've never seen anyone explain in depth what they actually are (Well, I don't exactly know 100% of the game's history either). Thus, I've decided to use my imagination to do so. The sentence structure probably isn't the best because I basically made stuff up as I went along, but I'll fix this eventually.

ARCH-VILE

Arch-Viles are tortured souls who had practiced satanic rituals in their mortal life (Such as summoning a succubus/incubus, see imps). Their fate was to have the flesh on their abdomens scraped off, their intestines ripped out and then be thrown into the infinitely hot flames of hell for thousands of years.
In this torture they have learned a hatred for all mortal beings and an infinitely strong desire to bring them to the same fate as theirs. Besides, if you were in that much pain, wouldn't you be cranky, too?

"PINKY" DEMON

An evil spirit that Satan created to terrorise mortals. They have infinite hatred towards God, mortal beings, and each other.
This hatred and anger causes them to act like wild animals.
Although they have the ability to take many forms, their true form is a skinless humanoid creature with horns, hooves, a protruding spine and yellow eyes.

SPECTRE

Any kind of demon (typically a pinky) that has failed to manifest completely, thus being invisible. The main cause of demonic posessions and other paranormal phenomenon.

BARON OF HELL

A fallen angel that took Satan's side in the war in heaven, bascially they're Satan's best buddies. They are the of the highest rank in hell, so they are usually the main ones to torture people.
They take on the form of a 12-foot tall skinless humanoid creature that is extremely muscular. Has horns, fangs and hair-covered goat legs.

HELL KNIGHT

A fallen angel that took neither side in the war in heaven. Much like a baron of hell, but they act as Satan's servants. The Barons also get to push these guys around and tell them what to do. (They're still evil, don't get me wrong)
Their flesh is grey/tan instead of pink to signify their difference in rank.

REVENANT

In hell, a revenant takes on the same role as that little kid with ADD that nobody likes but pretends to anyway.
Formerly a hell knight, but did something to tick the devil/barons off, thus getting their rank reduced. They take the form of a giant skinless human with the fat layer removed. They're rather obnoxious and can't follow orders, which explains them stealing the homing missle devices off of UAC's aircrafts and attatching them to their shoulders. World-reknown paranormal expert Marnetmar remarked that they look like skeletons in football jerseys.

The revenant manifests when a satanic ritual is performed that rises the dead is performed incorrectly.

IMP

An imp is an extremely horny type of demon that Satan created to tempt mortals into doing naughty stuff. Its true form is a large humanoid creature with brown skin (although some believe this is actually fur) and spikes all over its body as well as glowing red eyes, but also takes the form of a succubus/incubus when some lonely bastard tries to summon one.

ARACHNOTRON

Any demon/sinful soul that uses human equipment to move like a spider. This particular kind, known as Sadistic Mentis, is a tortured soul that was extremely intelligent in their mortal life, but used their intelligence to manipulate and hurt people for their amusement. Cybernetic because they stole equipment from the UAC. Their true form is a floating brain with eyes and a slitted mouth. Their eyes are covered with a strange blue film.

SADISTIC MENTEM DIABOLICA

Similar to Sadistic Mentis, except these guys used their intelligence to seriously hurt a large amount of people. Their true form is a giant floating brain with red eyes and fangs. With cybernetic enhancements they are known as Spider Masterminds. Hitler is one of the people that would be under this category.

CACODEMON

A cacodemon is a demon created by Satan to tempt mortals into selfish actions and torture souls who had been intentionally rude to others, arrogant, gluttonous, beaten their spouse, etc (See Mancubus). Takes the form of a giant, floating, bloody ball of flesh with one green eye, several horns and fangs.

MANCUBUS

A mancubus is a tortured soul that has done one or more of the following: been intentionally rude to others, been arrogant, been gluttonous, beaten their spouse, etc. They take the form of what they truly were in their heart: a an obese, hooved humanoid creature with six nipples, many, many folds and more chins than chinatown. A selection of them stole flamethrowers from the UAC.

More coming soon!

Someone did try to classify them scientifically on one site. Havent seen this approach yet though.

As for the possessions the Spectre causes, its completely solid still, how does that work?

Ragnor said:

As for the possessions the Spectre causes, its completely solid still, how does that work?

In my mind, demons can manifest as whatever they please, solid or not. Spectres are just invisible.

Ragnor said:

Someone did try to classify them scientifically on one site. Haven't seen this approach yet though.

Yeah, I forget that site. He speculated that Cacos were males and Pains were females. The lost soul was a juvenile.

He also though episode 3 had a glitch were the secret exit took you back to E3M1, iirc.

Hmm, I remember someone posting up a really good set of descriptions before that I've long since misplaced. The only thing I can distinctly remember, though, was that the Pain Elemental was described as not an actual living creature, but an artificial construct that "contained a patch of Lost Soul-containing Hellfire" or something of the sort.

Technician said:

Yeah, I forget that site.

This one? A handy site if you're finding it difficult to differentiate between the common Acerartusa and the not so common Homoluminus.

Coming from where your coming from, I've always found that Lost Souls are the possesors. They are the souls of the dead who went to Hell as extremely lost people. To regain a conscience form they would possess someone and bam - Zombies!

Interesting descriptions! I consider Arachnotrons to be the children of their parent SpiderMasterminds (Which explains the colony of two "parent" and a bunch of "children" spiders in MAP28)

Processingcontrol said:

Interesting descriptions! I consider Arachnotrons to be the children of their parent SpiderMasterminds (Which explains the colony of two "parent" and a bunch of "children" spiders in MAP28)

Actually, to correct you it's "Bastard Children."

Clonehunter said:

Coming from where your coming from, I've always found that Lost Souls are the possesors. They are the souls of the dead who went to Hell as extremely lost people. To regain a conscience form they would possess someone and bam - Zombies!

Like what you see at the beginning of the Doom 3 invasion.

Yeah, I did make years ago a BEX patch for MBF that made monsters release lost souls on death, which could take control over other dead bodies, or just resurrect themselves back. It was pretty cool. The zombiemen were even randomly commiting suicide in hopes for their souls to find better hosts in the field.

magicsofa said:

UNTHINKABLE

Yeah but that's how religious people like to criticize the sinners, and Doom (especially 3) is quite the religious game.

My favourite idea of these is that a mad scientist or some eeevil politician would transform into a giant brain on robotic legs and shoot stuff in hell. And i mean i like it unironically.

These descriptions are pretty interesting overall and certainly add a sinister feel to our good old demons, but i always felt that they were much more chaotic in nature with no symbolism and no real reason behind their appearances.
If you do more i'll surely enjoy it though.