Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tmorrow

Memento Mori Single Player Bugs

I've been making my way through Memento Mori. I use Zdoom 2.5.0 source port. I'm not a speed runner but I do like to pick up max kills/items/secrets wherever possible. As enjoyable as this WAD is, I've found it frustrating at times as several times I've wasted time trying to achieve maximums on maps that I later found wasn't possible in single player. I've even resorted to loading some of these maps in Doom Builder to get some further insights.

I've found the The Doom Wiki walkthroughs at http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Memento_Mori to be invaluable but I'm still left with some discrepencies that I'm hoping the community can corroborate or help point out my mistakes or explain what I've missed. I realise that these maps may play differently under original official doom2 or other source ports so if that's a factor I'd like to know.

I've only played 2/3 of the maps so far, I'm up to and stuck on map20. I've completed 22 maps 1-20 and secret maps 31-32 and have found likely bugs on 7 maps.

(Likely) Single Player Map Bugs

Map01

Only 11/17 items possible. The 6 missing items are in alcoves off the circular hub and are only available in deathmatch.

Map11

100% kill unobtainable without using IDCLIP. The map was designed for cooperative play but some items/monsters were not tagged multiplayer only that are in regions inaccessible to the single player. You can kill some of them by sniping from a distance and cause some infighting, but the remaining ones cannot be seen or targeted.

Map14

One item, a Megasphere near the start cannot be obtained in single player without IDCLIP. A deathmatch start location allows you to cross a linedef that opens the door to the Megasphere. This start location cannot be reached in single player.

Map15

Only 80% secrets possible in single player (2 missed out of 10). The missing two are window sills you can't get to and don't contain any items. Either the 2 window sectors were mistakenly tagged as secrets or that part of the map wasn't fully developed.

Map17

You can only obtain 6 of 7 secrets. In the small secret room containing a Supercharge is a switch in a sector the player cannot enter into because it is too small that is registered as a secret, however the switch can be triggered to lower the elevator.

Map18

Two enemies are in a sector that doesn't get triggered so 100% kills is not possible. Beyond the first Supercharge that triggers a secret, when you walk down the narrow hallway you cross a linedef that is a trigger to lower 3 walls but only 2 of the 3 are lowered. The one containing a Baron and Chaingunner behind a brown wall behind the raised section with wood pannelling out in the courtyard fails to lower.

Map20

The first bug is with the northern brown hill made up of 4 concentric sectors. It appears that the highest sector is above the ceiling of the map. This wouldn't normally be a problem since you don't have to get up there but there is a Former Seargent in the top sector that you cannot see and cannot kill.

The second bug is at the south east building, on the east side is a small room with a teleporter. There is a Armor Bonus at the back (west side) that you cannot reach without crossing either the N,E or S teleport triggers.

I hesitate to call this third one a bug as I think I must have missed something and it has me stumped. How do you get the BFG? I've managed to open the 3 doors leading to it by hitting switches in 3 different parts of the map, however the BFG is on a raised platform and I can't find a way to lower that platform or get onto it.

If anyone can shed some light or correct me on any of the above I've be most grateful.

Welcome to times when the only statistics you could get was the percentage screen after finishing a level. As is should be clear, even from stock Doom2 maps, many mappers didn't really bother to check if 100/100/100 was possible.

Memento Mori was a project that was also infamous for it's speedy completion back in the day. A safe bet that the beta testing of the episode suffered.

Just run up to the platform to pick up the BFG. You're more likely to pick it up if you run faster.

An awesome job these guys did on this project in such short time, some of these maps are intricate with a huge amount of detail.

With the stock Doom/Doom2/FinalDoom maps it is fairly well documented where you can't obtain 100/100/100. Memento Mori hasn't been documented nearly as well. I think it deserves some attention.

Thanks 4mer you are right about running up to collect that BFG. It still takes me several tries to get it each time. The 3 doors close when you first go in making it a little trickier if you miss it when you run in the first time.

Rather than reinventing the wheel, you could check what kills/secrets stats the compet-n (or DSDA) Maxes on each map get. If any monsters are unkillable or any secrets are unreachable, then they will be skipped in those demos.

That won't tell you about items though, because not many people care that much about getting 100% items, and they are not required for the Max categories.

Thanks Grazza,

I've had trouble locating many lmp's of memento mori, especially from compet-n since it appears that the FTP server died or is not readily available and I know of no alternate source - is there one? I've found a few replays on youtube that have helped.

You are right about the item counts, even the kills can be tricky if the map has archviles or pain elementals. Also the end screen truncates percentages to the integer which makes it even more unreliable.

I've managed to complete maps 21-25 with 100/100/100 so I've only got 5 more maps to go. So far only the 7 I listed in the original post have problems.

In MAP15 100% secrets is theoretically possible, but no-one achieved this so far - see this post by Kristian.

Out of the remaining maps, you won't get a secret on MAP27.

The question about C-N demos has been asked a lot in the last few days :) One of possibilities: http://www.4shared.com/file/XfzOWE_M/compet-n.html

But for MM, the easiest way to see a list of all (hopefully) demos is via DSDA: http://doomedsda.us/wad674.html (note that the link above doesn't include demos from 2006 to 2010)

Thanks vdgg, I've been able to download from both sources. Let's hope compet-n comes back sometime soon.

The 100% secrets on map15 looks quite hard but theoretically possible. A good find by Kristian Ronge. I think you would need to use the arch-vile twice, once to reach each window sill. With each blast doing up to 90 damage you would have to restock on health after each blast. I recall there is a fair amount of health on that map so that may not be a problem. Perfect execution would not be easy and would certainly slow down UV Max speedruns quite a bit.

Thanks for the heads up on map27, the doom wiki has some good documentation on this map as well.

I've finally finished Memento Mori. Map28 gave me a bit of trouble, a good, tough map. Here's my final summary of what I regard as bugs preventing 100%/100%/100% kills/items/secrets in single player.

Map01: Only 64% (11/17) items possible. The 6 missing items are in alcoves off the circular hub and are only available in deathmatch.

Map11: Less than 100% kills possible without using IDCLIP. The map was designed for cooperative play but some items/monsters were not tagged multiplayer only that are in regions inaccessible to the single player. You can kill some of them by sniping from a distance, but the remaining ones cannot be seen or targeted. The most I've seen is 96% kills.

Map14: Only 75% (3/4) items possible. One item, a Megasphere near the start cannot be obtained in single player without IDCLIP. The deathmatch start location allows you to cross a linedef that opens the door to the Megasphere. This start location cannot be reached in single player.

Map15: Only 80% (8/10) secrets possible. The missing two are window sills you can't get to and don't contain any items. This is either a mistaken secret tag or the secrets weren't fully developed. In theory (discovered by Kristian Ronge) you can get the 2 secrets if you use an Arch-vile to propel you onto the 2 window sills but to date noone has submitted a demo.

Map17: Only 85% (6/7) secrets possible. In the small secret room containing a Supercharge is a switch in a sector the player cannot enter into because it is too small that is registered as a secret, however the switch can be triggered to lower the elevator.

Map18: Only 99% (n-2/n) kills possible. Note n depends on how many Arch-vile and Pain Elemental spawns there were. Two enemies are in a sector that doesn't get triggered. Beyond the first Supercharge that triggers a secret, when you walk down the narrow hallway you trigger a linedef that is meant to lower 3 walls but only 2 of the 3 are lowered. The one containing a Baron and Chaingunner behind a brown wall behind the raised section with wood pannelling out in the courtyard fails to lower.

Map20: Only 99% (n-1/n) kills and 98% (49/50) items possible. This map contains 2 bugs. Firstly, one Former Sergeant atop the northern brown hill cannot be seen or killed since the highest sector is above the ceiling of the other sectors. The second bug is at the south east building, on the east side is a small room with a teleporter. There is a Armor Bonus at the back (west side) that you cannot reach without crossing either the N,E or S teleport triggers.

Map27: Only 88% (8/9) secrets possible. One secret is placed in a deathmatch only area (in the same area as the map exit) and is unreachable in single player.

---

Two maps can only be UV Maxed by the use of special tricks:

Map29: The Megasphere behind the red door on raised section in the corner can be collected by allowing the only Arch-vile on the map to blast you onto the ledge.

Map31: At the rendezvous point where the 1st and 3rd players meet up with the 2nd and 4th players (if you were playing cooperative), you teleport onto teleporter raised high off the floor. Don't move. You will be facing an open window. You need to turn either left or right until the middle of your weapon (I use the single shotgun) is aimed at the inside vertical edge of the window. At this point you walk (not run) off the edge of the teleporter and onto the window sill and then drop down onto the floor inside. As long as you walk, your success depends only on your initial aim, so ensure you have that right before moving. You only get one shot at this, if you miss then you cannot try again without restarting or using IDCLIP.