Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoneeLlama

2 maps I made (Hatchet & Get Psyched)

I avoided Hatchet as danne said it couldn't be completed. I noticed in Get Psyched that there's imps stuck in columns near the red key. In vanilla/Boom monsters need more room to move than in ZDoom and derivatives (if it's a map intended for ZDoom ports you might want to specify that in the text file, just so people play it in the correct engine - different ports have different behaviors that can make or break a map).

dannebubinga said:

I just played Hatchet and got stuck in the nukage room. You have not applied tag 9 on sector 135, so the door won't open.

Uhh, I'm terribly sorry about that. I checked the maps again, and found more of this bug (althought they only occur at some of the secrets).

Me playing getpsyched. no exit though. prboom+ latest version, complevel-9: http://www.mediafire.com/?7rcd6ip5gxjxrtx

Thank you. Any complaints about the gameplay/design?

Phml said:

I avoided Hatchet as danne said it couldn't be completed. I noticed in Get Psyched that there's imps stuck in columns near the red key. In vanilla/Boom monsters need more room to move than in ZDoom and derivatives (if it's a map intended for ZDoom ports you might want to specify that in the text file, just so people play it in the correct engine - different ports have different behaviors that can make or break a map).

I only tested it extensively in ZDoom, but with a quick run in Chocolate Doom, it seemed to be right, so I guessed it will be good in other ports.

Sorry about the bugs, fixed version coming soon.

Okay, the links have been updated, the maps should be good now.

Grazza said:

The switch in Get Psyched that opens up the exit room can be pressed from the side. Of course, you could leave that in as a speed-running trick, but it is a rather simple one.

Haha, now that's something I didn't thought of, but I think I'll leave that in for now.

I've just played Hatchet (new version). Everything worked OK, though I hadn't played the old version, so can't compare.

Kind of easy on UV if you play it calmly, as the monsters are always in manageable places, where they can be picked off quite safely if you choose to. I never found myself forced to fight while under attack from both sides, and all the times monsters were released, it was by an event that you'd expect to be boobytrapped in some way.

I don't quite understand the optional arch-vile that you can choose to release rather than simply exiting - shouldn't that be something you need to tackle before you can open up the exit? And there also some ammo and a soul sphere that were placed so that I picked them up after I had killed all the enemies. Maybe there's some logic in that, but it's not immediately obvious to me.

Also, if you are going for vanilla (or at least non-Zdoom) compatibility, then there is a hanging object that blocks player movement. You'll probably want to make it non-solid. From prboom-plus's stdout.txt:

P_SpawnMapThing: solid hanging body in tall sector at 672,-1376 (type=75)

Grazza said:
I don't quite understand the optional arch-vile that you can choose to release rather than simply exiting - shouldn't that be something you need to tackle before you can open up the exit? And there also some ammo and a soul sphere that were placed so that I picked them up after I had killed all the enemies. Maybe there's some logic in that, but it's not immediately obvious to me. [/B]

I intendet this map as part of a level collection (so you could choose if you need that soul sphere or not before going for the next level), but I wanted some feedback before I'd make any progress with it.

Also, if you are going for vanilla (or at least non-Zdoom) compatibility, then there is a hanging object that blocks player movement. You'll probably want to make it non-solid.

Thanks, it's been fixed.

NoneeLlama said:

Thank you. Any complaints about the gameplay/design?

I forgot to give you proper feedback hehe. I liked getpsyched, it's my type of map. But I didn't complete it cause I didn't have time atm. I will download the new version and play it tomorrow. I think you have a good feeling for architecture and gameplay as well. But I think the first room was a bit weak both in detail and combat-wise. I would have prefered revs instead of 2 cybies. Looking forward to see more from you!

Thanks!
I only started making Get Psyched to make something that can test my skills in Doom, so 2 Cybers at the very beginning sounded good to me. :P Also, the map used the wolf3D textures first (hence the name), but as I progressed with the level, I changed them, so that's why some places might look undetailed.