Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

Borderlands

Just another review on a recent game

Apon starting borderlands campaign you get to choose one out of four classes,each class has a special peferance to certian guns and a skill,the hunter prefers snipers and revolvers,his skill is a bird that he throws at the opponet and kills most enemies in one hit,the siren prefers corrosive.fire or electric weapons,her ability is to go invisible,the solider prefers assault rifles,his skill is a turret and finnaly my favorite is the beserker, he prefers explosives and shotguns,his skill is beserk mode where you beat the living shit out of everything that moves,pretty much the doom beserk with more additions to it like an uppercut.

Borderlands storyline has you looking for a vault with alien technology that with grant you wealth, fame, power and other such things,itès a bit weak on the story, but the other quests and challenges keep you coming back for more,and since certian enemy areas are never left deserted and are always respawned with new harder enemies,you'll find yourself going through back into bandit camps just to stock up on ammo or cash.

The Enviroment never stood out for me that much maybe once or twice but that was about it

The guns in the game a fucking AMAZING.There are about 17,750,000 guns in the game and thats just a approximate amount,Some weapons,(most of them at the beginning of the game)are shitastic pieces of crap,Even then (because all the weapons are randomized) I killed an enemy and he dropped a scoped revolver with a 1.7 zoom! The guns in the game are orgasmic and each player will never have the same inventory of weapons.

The multiplayer is pretty good,the one problem I found was if anyone in your group is more than three levels ahead of you it becomes borring,all it would take for the higher level to do is one melee attack on the enemy and hes down

You, sir, have done a review lacking a conclusion! Also, you need to run that mess through a spell and grammar checker.

Yeah, fun game, but only with your friends. It wasn't design to be played with randoms and it's immensely boring in sp. Friends with headsets is the way to go!

It would also benefit from having some more unique and interesting things to find. It has basically zero, except for a few side quests with interesting story bits.

I find the graphics are quite nice, except for some jaggy shadows and a complete lack of AA. Why must they leave out AA in these things?

The only other thing I don't like is the sloppy menu design. Sometimes it has you push enter to get past a screen when really a key you have already bound would be just fine. The menus have a few more quirks that annoy me, but they're easy to see and that makes me happy.

Definitely worth buying if you have a friend or three to play with.

it's like crack if you have friends with headsets.
although my friends and i are all busy we still make time for a 2 hour session here and there.
i wish there were extremely rare completely unique weapons (and i wish it wasn't so damn easy to hack the items in the first place.)

i actually have a good time playing SP, but the game really shines when you go through it at the same pace as 3 other friends (by same pace i mean you all do the same quests at the same time by keeping one character for online with friends and a seperate character or two for offline when you feel like playing and your friends are not available) since things get a bit annoying
if you start to skip quests to play catch-up with someone.
anyway:

addictive
action-packed
and full of loot (even if the top-of-the-line weapons are not nearly as rare as they should be)

but it is clearly a console port that receives less attention from the devs than the console versions.

It's because devs loot more from console versions. I completed this game yesterday and I gotta say it was a fun romp with my brother, even if it was splitscreen. Now we just have a ton of odd quests to do.

Ah, man! Borderlands..

I am soooo addicted to this game and I still haven't tried the cooperative mode. I understand what you mean, what you say about SP being boring, it's the whole take this mission, go to that place, do something, return back to collect xp and again.

But for me, it's still soooo addictive because of the specific RPG elements, especially the great variety of random weapons and shields and stuff you can find everywhere you go. Everytime I encounter a chest of those that bear weapons, I am so excited. Everytime I slaughter enemies and they drop massive loot I am taking everything like frenzy and then sell the ones that I don't like. It's this element that makes it so addictive. And then the additional stuff, good FPS feeling (for example someone said Fallout 3 when I told him about Borderlands, but F3 is more RPG than FPS and the turn based mode is more effective than shooting at realtime :P), funny graphics, humour, intense action at some places, and then some leveling up and abilities tree. But the looting and the numerous different weapons, OMG!!!

I have finished the 3rd expansion (or DLC as they call it nowadays), secret armory of general knoxx where at the end you are inside a room that is gonna expode in 2.5 minutes and it's full of hundreds of weapons chests. And you are warned, take as many loot as you please, but hurry!!! Funny idea for the end :)

I logged in to doomword to search for the keyword 'borderlands'. I wondered if anyone worked on some special doom port that adds these elements of borderland. Doomland or something. That would be so addictive for doom!!!

Yeah this game is pretty addictive, and I thought the cartoony artstyle was great. It kept me playing long enough to earn the platinum trophy, heh.
Also, that Claptrap robot was pretty funny.

Incredibly boring game. Uninstalled before leaving Fyrestone (or whatever it was called) after fighting nothing but dumb skags and bandits.

Well then you're kind of dumb for not letting the game get out of tutorial mode pretty much.

Borderlands is excellent, though it has it's flaws. A lot of the quests get quite samey, go here, fetch that, kill x of these, but mowing down countless hordes in 4 player co-op is wonderful. The game doesn't really come alive til you play it with other people. Doesn't need to be 4 players, but it's best with 4.

Also, some of the humour in the game is brilliant. Especially in the Addons, General Knoxx and Zombie Island mostly, there's some brilliant humour.

I didn't like it very much. The world was to small, there wasn't very many different vehicles, it cost money to die, the customization of weapons was lacking, there was little interaction with other characters, it was repetitive, the enemies had to much health, there was plenty of weapons but I'd like to see different types (crossbows, homing guns, rail guns, anything besides normal guns), it needed melee weapons, almost no interesting side missions, etc.

That long run on sentence pretty much says it all.

Unless you play it in Co-op, it gets pretty boring pretty quickly. If you really want to have some fun with it, get some friends, get on skype with them, and play it with them. I gotta admit though, a bit more variety in gun types would be nice. When you get right down to it, all it really boils down to is the generic array of weapons: shotgun, revolver, SMGs, assault rifles, pistols, sniper rifles, and rocket launchers. Once the realization sets in that there's not much difference between the different weapons you're picking up, the weapon generation system begins to lose its magic. Oh and I'm still waiting for them to fix the assault rifle models. When playing in 16:10 resolutions they're cut off at the bottom.

bgraybr said:

the enemies had to much health

Protip: Get a weapon that doesn't suck.

Also, that Claptrap robot was pretty funny.

That thing can seriously fuck off. When you get right down to it, it's just a robot Navi.
"GREETINGS TRAVELER NEW MISSIONS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BOUNTY BOARD!" every five god damn minutes.

I watched my brother play Borderlands on his Onlive and was severely unimpressed. It seriously looked like a compilation of attributes from many different games.

The trading and inventory management was just like your typical Castlevania, Diablo, Resident Evil, various other RPG, the gun combat was slow and boring. Tons of gameplay mechanics ripped directly from Call of Duty, the slow walking, holding the joystick down to sprint, the red dot sights, Borderlands obviously wants to convert Call of Duty fans since thats clearly the biggest game out there these days. Health and sheild recharges by hiding and avoiding enemy contact (just like Halo) and you don't even officially die when you lose all your health. My brother described it as a "second chance." You level up with experience points by killing thousands of random easy enemies and collecting loot that you can trade for more guns and ammo, aimlessly leveling up for no reason. It's chock full of addicting RPG elements intended to keep you playing for hours on end like any WOW addict except disguised as your awesome new scifi first person shooter.

The only thing that I can really give it credit for is it's cel-shaded art style which is at best an attempt at something we haven't already seen two hundred million times before, but even that isn't all that original on its own.

I apologize to anyone who loves the game but I see right through it's bullshit. I know we have the technology to create new and exciting things but I'm constantly seeing the same concepts cycled over and over again with every game thats gets released these days.

@40oz:
Health only recharges with certain shield mods, and shields generate depending on their own stats (some might be slow, some might be quick).

Same with the sights; varies from weapon to weapon; even a similar model of gun will have different attributes including different sights or no sights at all (ironsights, I should say).

I'm a little bored with the RPG elements myself, (namely the "quests" which will probably never evolve from "kill these," or "collect this") but overall it's an entertaining game. Though as someone mentioned, it is loads more fun with some friends (with headsets). I've spent hours ramming into each other with the cars laughing my ass off more than I've played the missions.

Nomad said:

I've spent hours ramming into each other with the cars laughing my ass off more than I've played the missions.

Having an old western show down with revolvers tends to be pretty fun too.

Regardless of whether it is a consistently provided amenity, the gameplay mechanics are essentially the same.

I can't help but draw attention to how many people here used the word "addcicted" It bothers me that there is currently an extremely thin line between the definitions of addicting and fun. I play video games because I want to be entertained, not sucked into them for hours and hours. There's so much bullshit in between where you have to earn the fun parts of the game by playying through all the boring parts. Why doesn't it just cut the shit and go straight to the fun parts? Addicting and fun are not the same thing. You wanna know what's really addicting? Methamphetamines. But I don't see anyone here posting about how cool that is.

I get sucked in for hours and hours having fun. Read: Dragon Age, Bad Company 2, and definitely Borderlands with friends.

40oz said:

Addicting and fun are not the same thing. You wanna know what's really addicting? Methamphetamines. But I don't see anyone here posting about how cool that is.

Vidya games = methamphetamines?

40oz said:

Addicting and fun are not the same thing.

They are for a lot of people, i'll bet. I'm quite addicted to Doom, for one.

40oz said:

Addicting and fun are not the same thing.

Maybe they're addicted to the game because its so fun. Or maybe the game emits a strong dose of meth on occasion.

Xaser said:

I concur.

It was originally a quote by me about how hilarious these rants 40oz makes about games are, which in truth, they really are, mainly because he has little to no experience with the games he's bashing. He's done it with TF2, L4D2, and several other games, and for each one he's admitted that he hasn't played them or he just watched someone play them. Honestly I would be surprised if he'd actually find himself enjoying them if he actually gave them a try.

Craigs said:

Honestly I would be surprised if he'd actually find himself enjoying them if he actually gave them a try.

It's 40oz, dude. He doesn't seem to like anything.

As others have already said, playing it Single Player would have got old pretty quick, but it's definitely a good laugh over LAN. I think my biggest complaint is that the final boss was such a huge letdown. I actually managed to get inside it's mouth at one point and still hardly lost any health.

DooMAD said:

As others have already said, playing it Single Player would have got old pretty quick, but it's definitely a good laugh over LAN. I think my biggest complaint is that the final boss was such a huge letdown. I actually managed to get inside it's mouth at one point and still hardly lost any health.

When you get right down to it, the whole ending was pretty much Gearbox trolling the players.

I tend to just treat the end of General Knoxx as the actual Final Boss, with Crawmerax as well if I want punishment.

The end of knoxx is pretty much just gearbox saying "yeah we fucked up with the main boss, here have this instead".

AirRaid said:

I tend to just treat the end of General Knoxx as the actual Final Boss, with Crawmerax as well if I want punishment.

The end of knoxx is pretty much just gearbox saying "yeah we fucked up with the main boss, here have this instead and all the guns you can carry".

fix'd

Well that was implied. What everyone wanted was to get into the Vault and get loads of goodies. But what you got was a lame end boss who drops a handful of crap. So they gave you an alternative "Vault" in the armoury.

Heh, I haven't finished the secret armory DLC myself but I did run into a claptrapified(?) version of him in the new DLC. The reward is pretty much the same albeit on a smaller scale and without the time limit.