Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnum Express

Slade 3: Importing Textures

I need help using Slade 3. I can't find a tutorial of any sorts, and that is extremely annoying. I am trying to import a pack of textures that I found on realm667.com into a copy of a DOOM 2 WAD. Be VERY specific on how to do this, as I am new to modding.

You should never modify your IWADs, even if it is a copy. If you want to replace data in the IWAD you can do it by using one or more PWADs. I highly suggest you read this article on the Doom Wiki, because it will help you better understand how PWADs work.

Texture packs do not need to be included in your PWADs. Most map editors can load texture packs as resources, so there is no need to include them in your PWAD. Just be sure to mention which texture pack we should load alongside your map and where we can get it. You should write this information in the Other files required field of the /idgames .txt generator (e.g. Gothic Textures | http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10203), but it is advisable you also mention it in the Description, because apparently a lot of people do not read text files. Shocking, I know.

Adding textures to your PWAD can be as easy as copy-pasting a couple of lumps or as hard as manually compiling new TEXTUREx and PNAMES lumps. This can get very tedious when you want to use textures from more than one texture pack (especially when there are naming conflicts) or when you are dealing with multi-patch textures, or even both.

Thanks for the help. But now I have another problem. I have been able to successfully put new weapons and monsters into a PWAD, but I can't find them in Doom Builder, even though the PWAD is one of the resources. Actually, I was able to find a few, but the rest were missing. What could I have done to the things I was able to find that I didn't do to the other ones? I am getting extremely ticked off because of all of these problems that I am running into. Please help if you can.

You'll run into many problems, I have. They are simple fixes however.

OK to get your items and monsters you need to merge them with your wad. Once this has been done, find the 'decorate' file in your wad for that monster (it will be at the very top of your monsters files (above its GFX's and sprites))

At the very top of this decorate file wil be something like this:

Actor Afrit
{
Health 800
Speed 6
Radius 24
Height 72
PainChance 50
Mass 500
Meleedamage 10
SeeSound "Baron/Sight"
PainSound "Baron/Pain"
DeathSound "Baron/Death"
ActiveSound "Baron/Active"
MeleeSound "Baron/Melee"
ReactionTime 8
Monster
+NoGravity
+NoBlood
+Float
+DontHurtSpecies
Obituary "%o was scorched by an Afrit"
HitObituary "%o found the Afrit too hot to handle."
Damagefactor "HellFire", 0.0
States

At the top where it says 'Actor Afrit' you want to put a number after this yourself. Some come with numbers there already.

THIS IS THE NUMBER YOU USE IN DOOMBUILDER.

By that I mean when you place a 'thing' you remove the numbers underneath the picture (you see player 1 start picture and some numbers under it). Replace the number with your THING ID (the number after your monster/item name).

It won't show up as a picture or image but it will be placed in your map.

I suppose if you wanted it to appear like all the other things do you could mod Doom builder, but that's up to you. For now it works lol Good luck.

Thanks, even though I figured that out after careful examination. And yet again, a new problem has surface. I am only able to use one weapon at a time, and even though I can pick new weapons up, I can't switch to others unless I run out of ammo for the current weapon or drop it. Another important thing to note is that the slot 4 number only lights up, and none of the others do, even when I have all weapons and ammo, too. What seems to be the problem?

If you don't give slot numbers to the weapons, they are not added to any slot.

Read this for how to assign slots to weapons.

suppose you have an agothademon and an afrit in your wad (two custom monsters), that you want to use in doom builder. having your wad opened in SLADE3, rename each monsters' DECORATE lump to something else of no more than eight characters (such as DEC_AGOT for the agothademon, or DEC_AFRI for the afrit). now, create another DECORATE lump, and within it, type something like this

#include "DEC_AFRI"
#include "DEC_AGOT
^ assuming you used two monsters with those decorate names. Basically, you now have one actual DECORATE lump, which you are telling to use other decorates for these two monsters.