Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

Map 02 glide and Map 08 linedef jump

Thanks.

Maps 14, 15 and 31 are very impressive to watch. And it's amazing that you got 2 seconds off on map 13.

The map16 ending is a bit funny; sure you couldn't reach 9 seconds? I don't think it will detract much though. The rocket count still seems a bit low so I hope you've planned ahead. Good luck with map17...

Fredrik said:

The map16 ending is a bit funny; sure you couldn't reach 9 seconds?

He needs to save only one tic, because in my 14:37 run I have 10:00.00

entryway said:

He needs to save only one tic, because in my 14:37 run I have 10:00.00

And try as I might I just could not shave that one tic off. Just would not happen.

What was the exact time on MAP30? (29:xx) Perhaps with rocket boosts (while running on the hill) 28 could be done.

29.89... He would need huge boosts, but the main difficulty would be to get close enough from a wall... So he could do it only on the way to the first switch, or to the second. I don't think that would be enough to grab that much time.

i just found this while browsing. these build demos look weird, when you turn and shoot a monster faster than the eye can register. did you find some time to continue the run?

ultdoomer said:

Why? I was looking forward to it.

So was I. However doing built demos of this quality is simply a massive time sink that I can no longer afford

Aw, these are the coolest demos I've seen for doom2, because they are so ridiculous fast. I was waiting to see what the finished product was going to be.

Has anyone continued this run? It would be awesome, if it was finished

This is somewhat related

map16 nomonsters built in 9.94 and usable for movie. I hope desyncing won't be problem though, as this works in Budko's 30uv1437 but map 17 desyncs.

lv16x009.zip

Oh my god, MAP16 in <00:10 is a great achievement. I wish someone would finish this (and use this MAP16 strategy.)

xepop said:

map16 nomonsters built in 9.94

Wow... It was so easy to get 10.03, but 9.9x looked like impossible :) Nice! Do you lowered the lift faster than I did it in 14:37 movie?

That's cool when you are able to modify the existed run and stay in synch. For example, my 14:37 movies uses Sedlo's "tics" for glide on map21. You can compare in hex editor. The first 3 seconds are byte to byte similar to Sedlo's 16:17 run.

EDIT: heh, I see, there is small "wall run" before the lift

entryway said:

Wow... It was so easy to get 10.03, but 9.9x looked like impossible :) Nice! Do you lowered the lift faster than I did it in 14:37 movie?

That's cool when you are able to modify the existed run and stay in synch. For example, my 14:37 movies uses Sedlo's "tics" for glide on map21. You can compare in hex editor. The first 3 seconds are byte to byte similar to Sedlo's 16:17 run.

EDIT: heh, I see, there is small "wall run" before the lift

I tried to put this to rambobones's wip.lmp, but it desynced in the lift part (I guess different rng number, I don't know anything about these). Anyway it syncs to the lift 2 tics faster than in your demo and after that, with one tic to spare, building the end should be relatively easy.

As far as I know, no. It might be frustrating to spent countless hours and then someone finds new trick/route.

Maybe it could be continued as a community project?

Paska said:

Maybe it could be continued as a community project?

termrork asked the same question, but i doubt it. you can't start building separate levels and waiting for others to finish their segments would be highly ineffective. rambo was building the optimal doom2 run, now imagine person XY makes a mistake on map17 and loses a second. someone realizes at map26... whoops, let's start again.

yeah i guess thats true, but the level 01 and 02 run was just so amazing i was excited for this to be finished.

dew said:

termrork asked the same question, but i doubt it. you can't start building separate levels and waiting for others to finish their segments would be highly ineffective.

Unless person A continues one or two levels, then person B continues next 1-2 levels and so on. Work would be divided but the progress would be a little slow, I think.

well, it's theoretically possible, but mind further problems like rocketboosting and health management or weapon changes at the end of the map... all of this would have to be planned and synchronized and that'd slow down the progress even more.

I certainly won't ever be completing this run, simply due to the massive amount of time making a good built run takes and the number of other ways I could be spending all that time.

If any person(s) wishes to continue the run then they are welcome to, however those involved would probably need to have some amount of experience at building demos (or have to spend a bit of time practicing). If you really want an optimal demo a strategy where multiple people all work on the *same* level and then compare timings throughout the level could be interesting. I know when I was building these I would have 'segments' that would allow me to compare times of my run, my previous run and andreys run to ensure I was being optimal. Segments would typically be things that you paused at (such as starting a door to open, triggering an event, etc) to avoid scenarios where taking a tic longer in one segment made the next segment 5 tics faster. The idea being that ever segment should be faster (or at the very least equal) to the segment in the previous run. Having multiple people run the same levels/segments could lead to some pretty optimal times (with the usual problems of ammo, health and route planning). Although this would probably take longer than a single person running it, you could possibly get a better result with every individual having to spend less time on it.

Also whilst I do like Map 01 in that demo, please remember that it isn't mine (not to mention map 08 is way cooler and saves more time :) )