Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Philnemba

[Released] The Shores of Phil

Guess its about time I make a thread about this.

Anyway, The Shores of Phil is a 6 map mini-episode for Ultimate Doom that I started from January to June of 2010. It will replace E2M4-E2M9 and will all be ep2 theme maps(except for E2M9). I've recently started back on it since I hate for these maps to be wasted in my hard drive(heh lack of motivation got to the best of me). Wad will be vanilla compatibly so every map has been tested with Chocolate Doom(even through the screenshots below are taken from Skulltag).

E2M4

E2M5

E2M7

UPDATE: After adding and fixing some more, the wad is finally finish.

temporally link: http://www.mediafire.com/?e89i0nvx7l85cm2
idgames links: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16337

That first screenshot looks like something that should replace E2M1..

i like the usage of torches in the third

Decided to release a public Beta/playtest version of my mapset. Feedback of course is welcome :)

*link removed due to final release on first post*

Once I get enough feedback, I'll fix what might needs to be fix and release it on idgames.

Oh and in case anybody is wondering about whats up with the secret map, its a leftover speedmap I made back months ago inspired by Maps From Memory wad. Also I added a MAPINFO for Zdoom based ports and a EMAPINFO for eternity.

I played through the first two levels, and ran through the others with -nomonsters.

The good:
- Definitely feels like the Shores of Hell
- Texture choices are well in line with the theme
- First two levels were fun to play, haven't played the others yet.

The bad:
- It's very VERY "hommagy" (and I choose my words carefully) ... entire sections of the original levels have been "recreated"
- The dimensions and proportions are way off, the rooms feel too big and bland

I haven't played a classic Doom map in ages, so this was very refreshing. The problem with this map set is that some areas were very orthogonal and wide-open. Also:

The switches ahead are unobvious.

This room uses the "see three identical doors, but only one opens" linearity shtick.

E2M2 was almost fully tysonable due to the berserk pack. I only had trouble with the lost souls because I was letting them bump on me.

printz said:

E2M2 was almost fully tysonable due to the berserk pack. I only had trouble with the lost souls because I was letting them bump on me.

I purposely made it a Tyson map however there is enough ammo to kill all monsters on UV with the shotgun, chaingun, and the hidden plasma gun.

As for the 2 screenshots, I'll see what I can do for them to make it more obvious.

Also thanks for the feedback janvknn.

Oh, and another thing ... I could jump over the nukage moat in "E2M2" by straferunning, taking a shortcut to the exit.

janvknn said:

Oh, and another thing ... I could jump over the nukage moat in "E2M2" by straferunning, taking a shortcut to the exit.

That's a problem in Doom.wad as well.

printz said:

That's a problem in Doom.wad as well.

Doesn't mean you have to replicate it IMO :)

This was fun, thanks a lot!

As for that jumpable gap, well... I dunno. It's not like it cuts a huge chunk of the map out or anything. Not a big deal, as far as I'm concerned.

I like the berserk-oriented gameplay. This wad seems to use the style a lot. Cool.

janvknn said:

Heh I thought it was wide enough not to do but meh I leave it the way it is :P

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys. Going to fix some stuff and upload this to idgames ether tomorrow or the next day.

Finally got a chance to play this after being busy with pccp.wad for a while.

I really liked it! You all but completely nailed the classic Episode 2 feel and it was a pleasure to blast through. I did feel like the first map was a bit too formulaic of a homage to Deimos Anomaly (okay, there's the star-pointed teleport pedestals, there's the inverted cross, the sinking walkways and the switch that raises a podium with two more switches...) but after that the maps felt a lot more original to me while still fitting great with the E2 feel. I could spot areas where the inspiration for architecture/texturing was obvious, but it wasn't intrusive.

I was a bit surprised by how much harder the E2M8 scenario was than the original, given that you'd been sticking to a classic level of difficulty with the monsters up to that point, or so I thought. I still managed to defeat it on the first try, but it took me out of the 'classic episode' zone a little.

I'd absolutely play more maps like this if you were to make them :)

jerrysheppy said:

I'd absolutely play more maps like this if you were to make them :)

Glad you like it Jerry :)

Currently I'm taking a break from mapping but eventually later this year I'm planing to make a ep4 replacement...that is if I'm motivated enough and have some free time.

I like it phil! There were a lot of homages, and the map13 homage in e2m6 felt a little out of place, but at the same time just right. There's a lot of original stuff too. I really liked some of the secrets and traps in it. Like the health bonus that teleports you to the Plasma Gun room in the containment area map, and the teleport in the starting room of the Deimos Lab map that is actually a trap door. That stuff was brilliant. Cool maps man!

Amazing WAD! Loved it a lot Phil! Cool homages. Good job, I see you made an E1M3 bridge in E2M6. I liked the E2M1 (E2M4) map with two ways look the same, the containment area crushers room was one of the best. And first wad I played uses Blood Jungle.