Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zaldron

Speculation

First, an extract from a Carmack .plan dated February 11 2002 :

Last month I wrote the Radeon 8500 support for Doom. The bottom line is that it will be a fine card for the game, but the details are sort of interesting.

I had a pre-production board before Siggraph last year, and we were discussing the possibility of letting ATI show a Doom demo behind closed doors on it. We were all very busy at the time, but I took a shot at bringing up support over a weekend. I hadn't coded any of the support for the custom ATI extensions yet, but I ran the game using only standard OpenGL calls (this is not a supported path, because without bump mapping everything looks horrible) to see
how it would do. It didn't even draw the console correctly, because they had driver bugs with texGen. I thought the odds were very long against having all the new, untested extensions working properly, so I pushed off working on it until they had revved the drivers a few more times.

Now, this site :

SIGGRAPH 2002

This could be the next time Doom's previewed.

I hope it won't be behind closed doors-- you know how id is. On the other hand, Carmack might be thinking of trying to give ATI a boost (out of NVidia's shadow) by showing the game running on there card to the general populous, as a co-display to the Mac Expo display with NVidia a while ago. In this case, the demo will probably be accesibly to photographers so that the card gets the same exposure that the Mac Expo gave NVidia. That would REALLY cool!

(As note to would be SIGGRAPH attendees-- please PLEASE bring HI-RES recorders only, with proper color balancing. And if Carmack gives a speech, lets not have another QuakeCon misshap again!!!)

Originally posted by EsH
I hope it won't be behind closed doors-- you know how id is. On the other hand, Carmack might be thinking of trying to give ATI a boost (out of NVidia's shadow) by showing the game running on there card to the general populous, as a co-display to the Mac Expo display with NVidia a while ago. In this case, the demo will probably be accesibly to photographers so that the card gets the same exposure that the Mac Expo gave NVidia. That would REALLY cool!

(As note to would be SIGGRAPH attendees-- please PLEASE bring HI-RES recorders only, with proper color balancing. And if Carmack gives a speech, lets not have another QuakeCon misshap again!!!)

YES. BRING DECENT CAMERAS! And if Carmack speeks, cut the sound :]

Originally posted by Maonth

Heh... the voice that is more horrendous than the demon sounds!

Originally posted by Fredrik
Heh... the voice that is more horrendous than the demon sounds!

Someone ought to create the mighty Carckdemon. Half duck/half nerd.

Originally posted by Maonth

Carmack is the best part! I want 5.1 surround Carmack!

Siggraph is AFTER E3, and unless id Software wants to be strung up by their thumbs they'll be showing off Doom 3 at E3.

Originally posted by EsH

Carmack is the best part! I want 5.1 surround Carmack!

I concur

Originally posted by Linguica
Siggraph is AFTER E3, and unless id Software wants to be strung up by their thumbs they'll be showing off Doom 3 at E3.

Quite frankly I'm not expecting them to show anything at E3, but who knows. If they do i'm sure it's gonna be behind closed doors. :\

Yeah, they'll probably pull the same dirty trick they used at Quakecon last year, showing Doom footage to those who are lucky enough to live nearby and keeping it away from the rest of us.

It'd have been better if they just didn't show anything to anyone instead of that.

Originally posted by Zaldron
Quite frankly I'm not expecting them to show anything at E3, but who knows. If they do i'm sure it's gonna be behind closed doors. :\

Heh if it's behind closed doors, then our beloved Webmaster will be allowed to see it anyway!

That MP3's from the now-sadly-not-regularly-updated-anymore Old Man Murray.

id should definetly present us new Doom information in the following couple months. After all the game is now in its 20th month of development.

Well, I'm confident that Doom 3's visuals will own Halo's. Also, I have grounds to believe that the new Doom game will be something very special in the gameplay department as well.

Originally posted by FlatHead
the game is now in its 20th month of development.

it's almost 2 years now..this game gonna take the longest development time in id history.hope it to be 2002 title.(at least DOOM3 test release should be fine.)