Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

VC++ 2005

IIRC, Gez uses this to build Eternity SVNs. Any chance I could get my hands on the project used for this? It would be a lot easier than trying to down-convert the 2008 project, as the best site I found with a tool for that seems to have it all completely wrong (for example looking for "Project" instead of "VisualStudioProject", and looking for a number like 9.0.1203 instead of 9.00, etc.) - I dunno what drugs the guy that made it must have been on...

And the 6.0 project was already out of date before I tried to convert it to C++, so I'd rather just not mess with it at all.

Trying to create a new project/solution and manually add all the files is certainly possible, but it's a pain in the ass because the new project wizard keeps creating things in unnecessary subdirectories and not naming things the way I want.

Quasar said:

IIRC, Gez uses this to build Eternity SVNs. Any chance I could get my hands on the project used for this?

Of course.

I've uploaded the .sln and .vcproject files to the DRD Team Eternity SVN folder.

Quasar said:

It would be a lot easier than trying to down-convert the 2008 project, as the best site I found with a tool for that seems to have it all completely wrong

IIRC, I originally made the Eternity project file and solution by manually editing the VC 2008 files and changing the version number there. ;)

Gez said:

Of course.

I've uploaded the .sln and .vcproject files to the DRD Team Eternity SVN folder.

IIRC, I originally made the Eternity project file and solution by manually editing the VC 2008 files and changing the version number there. ;)

Thanks! I wasn't sure how much editing was really required out of the changes between the two versions (only a handful of properties actually changed at all).

EDIT: I've got it down to one error:

1>..\vc2008\Eternity.rc(57) : error RC2176 : old DIB in .\res\ee.ico; pass it through SDKPAINT
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Code\eternity\vc2005\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>Eternity - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Seems it doesn't want to support the icon format used by VC2008, so I'm curious why it's including that resource script, and how you're able to build it with it doing such but I cannot. For reference, I am using 2005 Express with SP1 installed.

But he'd have a completely different set of problems instead. Contrary to what some people claim, GCC is far from a perfect compiler.

Ladna said:

Haven't people successfully built Eternity on Linux using GCC?

Yes! There are over eleven and a half thousand lines of warnings but it does work :-)

I believe what hobbs was going after more, was that a Makefile setup less often (nearly never) needs to be overhauled for a development environment installation, contrary to VisualStudio that seems to need an entirely different set of project files for every version, and moving from one version another is a huge chore.

Still, I'm slightly curious as to why you care much to use 2005 if you already are using a newer version...

Quasar said:

Seems it doesn't want to support the icon format used by VC2008, so I'm curious why it's including that resource script, and how you're able to build it with it doing such but I cannot. For reference, I am using 2005 Express with SP1 installed.

Using the new vcproject file, the only errors I ran into were unresolved externals which I solved by adding user32.lib and advapi32.lib as additional dependencies for the linker.

I did not get any rc error.

chungy said:

Still, I'm slightly curious as to why you care much to use 2005 if you already are using a newer version...

Compatibility. VC 2005 makes exes that can be run in Windows 9x, VC 2008 doesn't.

chungy said:

contrary to VisualStudio that seems to need an entirely different set of project files for every version, and moving from one version another is a huge chore.

No. Conversion to newer version is automated. You need only press Convert after opening and Ok.

Quasar said:

Trying to create a new project/solution and manually add all the files is certainly possible, but it's a pain in the ass because the new project wizard keeps creating things in unnecessary subdirectories and not naming things the way I want.

Ahem *cough* *cough* -> http://mancubus.net/svn/eternity/trunk/README-CMAKE.txt

That should work - Sadly the doomportbuilder service has been down since it had what can only be described as catastrophic multiple hard disk failure, so I can't browse over and double check. What are the odds of losing two disks out of a raid5 array ? I should buy a lottery ticket.

chungy said:

I believe what hobbs was going after more...

Truthfully, Quasar was in #noteternityenginerelated asking someone to bump the thread because he finds it annoying that forum software doesn't care about edited posts, and he'd just made an edit. So after a few minutes of nobody doing it, I decided I would, and "switch to MinGW lulz" is the only thing that was even tangentially related to the topic that I could come up with. Glad to know that a dozen word post of mine can inspire such response though. I really don't advocate using MinGW ever, though in the interest of cross-platform compatibility I wish there would be more time spent on making the *nix versions work and not the Windows 9x version. And yes GCC is by far not the best compiler but its not like we have better options for C++ in the *nix world. I guess Clang when it's complete will be pretty sexcellent but there is that whole "when it's complete" thing.

i think clang is pretty much done, but clang++ is still busted. gcc and intel's compiler are about it.

*Sigh* I thought so. I kinda wish someone would make a PCC but for C++. PCC is possibly the best C compiler I've ever come across, and it isn't even 100% done yet.