Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gemini09

GZDoom portal

Is there an example-wad with a portal for GZDoom?

I'm a little unsure of how they even work.

I'm considering their use for a building

Entering the building will teleport you to a new destination (to the interior, only built separately), but I have windows looking in to this building. I'm wondering if a portal can allow view into this separate interior-section.

ZDoom/GZDoom portals can only be placed on floors or ceilings.

You may be able to cheat by using a floor or ceiling with a steep slope, but I give you no guarantee it'll be glitch free.

Wall portals are work in progress because they involve a slightly different kind of anti-recursion checks. Steep slopes may work but I can't guarantee that it's free of glitches.

Okay, thanks.

Graf Zahl said:

Wall portals are work in progress because they involve a slightly different kind of anti-recursion checks. Steep slopes may work but I can't guarantee that it's free of glitches.

Is there any estimate on about when these wall-portals can be expected?

If they're appearing within the year, I can just pause that particular part for now.

Damn...

You just made something that makes all the work I invested in the portal rewrite a total loss.

So now the ETA for real wall portals is 'probably never'. If I have to keep that effect operable - which is necessary thanks to ZDoom I can't implement real wall portals at all... :(

It's a real shame. Wall portals would be so simple but making them work with all the portal hacks ZDoom allows is a futile endeavor.

Graf Zahl said:

Damn...

You just made something that makes all the work I invested in the portal rewrite a total loss.

So now the ETA for real wall portals is 'probably never'. If I have to keep that effect operable - which is necessary thanks to ZDoom I can't implement real wall portals at all... :(

It's a real shame. Wall portals would be so simple but making them work with all the portal hacks ZDoom allows is a futile endeavor.

What about compatibility settings through checksum matching?

Erm, what's going on here? The file linked to doesn't exist -- the filehost used appears to have been shut down since September of last year. Doesn't make sense, in either regard.

It also might be worth a check to see if any maps use this trick (assuming it exists?) or if it was just found. Might be possible to mark it as a "Don't do that!" if it's the latter.

Yeah.

I'm not so sure portals can be used for this case, but according some posters it might be possible in the future, or is possible with a trick, but as we noticed, the link doesn't exist.