Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EarthQuake

Looking for some 1994 gems that allow for modification or reuse

I was wanting to practice mapping a bit, but I didn't want to spend a horrible length of time planning out a layout. Essentially I'm looking for some older wads, that allow for modification or reuse, that I can sort of remodel. I do have some criteria for the wad I'd like to play with:

1. Single player.
2. Fairly non-linear.
3. Interesting [or even confusing] layout.
4. From the 1994 era.
5. Not well-known.

Gimmicks and puzzles are a plus, but not necessary.

I actually work best when I have something to model my maps after, even if the end result doesn't look anything like the original inspiration. Potentially, I have a seed I would like to plant, but I need a medium for it to grow in, if you will.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

If you haven't already, check out the 1994 tune-up thread. There were a lot of 1994 maps identified that allowed modification from 1994. I posted a few further into the thread as well.

travers

bilbo11.wad by Brad Spencer
cement.wad by Andrew Murphy
lookout.wad by Norman Scott
marbas11.wad by Chris Boote
nathrath.wad by Bjorn Hermans and Holger Nathrath
nukemine.wad by Jason Hargreaves
sacrfice.wad by Ty Halderman and Robert Taylor
skycity.wad by Darren K. McKeigan
ss27bet2.wad by Stanley Stasiak

...just to name a few which i remember right now.

A number of the wads mentioned don't allow modification, which was pretty fundamental to Earthquake's request. To draw attention to that, I've edited it into the thread's title.

Graf Zahl said:

Not sure if this qualifies as 'not well known' but it sure fits your other criteria:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=1021

Played this one last night. It was a pretty fun time and took me almost an hour to complete. My one peeve about the map was that it was rather too large and confusing. You're right though, it was a good suggestion (despite not being able to directly modify any of it due to permissions).

traversd said:

If you haven't already, check out the 1994 tune-up thread. There were a lot of 1994 maps identified that allowed modification from 1994. I posted a few further into the thread as well.

Yup, that was one of the first places I checked before posting this. I played through several of them, but since people are already remodelling them, I didn't think it would be fair if I did the same map, even if I drastically changed the look and feel of the map. My favorite of the bunch was Melange.

I'll be playing some of the wads you guys suggested, because I don't wanna settle on anything before taking a broader look around. If you want to keep suggesting things, that's fine. Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys.

Oh, and about the permissions, I'd prefer free mod/reuse wads, but if that's not the case, it's no big deal. I just can't rip anything out of it. Like I said, whatever source I choose, it probably won't even be recognizable, especially with the style of gameplay I'm wanting to try out.

I'll check back later after I've played several more.