Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

Is Doomguy's face identical to BJ's from Wolfenstien 3D?

I noticed that BJ's and Doom guy's face look strangely similar which I wondering if Doom guy's face was actually a edited BJ hud sprite (which they only deleted the neck and expanded the face a little) or was it created from scratch but rather based on BJ's head?

I agree. It has two eyes, a nose, a mouth, and hair on top. Obviously it means it's just a quick edit.

Romero mentioned once that Adrian Carmack made DOOM's different on purpose, to differentiate it from BJ's. That is, in the context that many things in DOOM are "based" on similar stuff in Wolf3D (face, chaingun, medikits, zombies...), but purposely different.

Blazkowicz looks happier than Doomguy.

But they're not very different. Compare to the Quake guy (go look yourselves for screenshots, I'm not movin'). That fellow seems older too. But these two both have bright hair and square faces.

Not only that, they also both have Crew cuts hence why I think their so similar.

Although the biggest difference I noticed though is that Doomguy doesn't have that ass chin that Blazkowicz has nor Doomguy doesn't have a neck either.

The main similarity is the haircut, but that's so they're easily characterized as military men.

Nightmare Doom said:

Not only that, they also both have Crew cuts hence why I think their so similar.

Although the biggest difference I noticed though is that Doomguy doesn't have that ass chin that Blazkowicz has nor Doomguy doesn't have a neck either.

The chin is different, Doomguy has a pointer, rounder jaw, and doesn't have the cleft chin Blazko has. The nose is different, Doomguy's nose is larger. The cheeks are different, Doomguy's are gaunter, with lower cheekbones. The brow is different, Doomguy's is taller and less flat. Skin, hair and eye colors are different. BJ's face is a bit more cartoonish in its drawing style, by the way.

All in all, the only similarities are because they both are drawn, pixelated, paletted human faces. And, well duh. Of course they are.

Wolfenstein 3D had a lighter, more cartoony style (both games are on 256 color but you can clearly see the different art directions), so obviously he's going to look more "cartoonish". :P

It's definitely the crew cut that makes them so similar. Of course, it's not easy to express hairstyles in 2D paletted faces, especially without going into the realm of silly.

The biggest difference between the two is their voices. Compare Doomguy's pain sounds to B.J.'s "YEAH!" at the end of Episodes 1 and 4.

...so Doomguy is Commander Keen's grandson who is B.J. Blazkowicz' grandson?

Now we're starting to stretch it.

BJ Blazkowicz is much better defined as a character than Doomguy. The latter has no set name, barely any set voice, let alone a set face. His green outfit is more famous than him.

They both seem to have trouble looking left and right without moving their eyebrows, but that's about it.

I think they sure are alike : I think they used B.J.'s poses and rendered them into a more realistic-like sprite called DooM-Guy. I mean DG is half-sampled, half-scratch.

Necros20 said:

I actually tend to think of Wolf3d as Doom's spiritual predecessor.

Oh yeah! I remember! I have read something around the internet saying that DooM Guy's real name is Stan Blazkowicz... Can this be true?

Umm well if you consider Doom II RPG to be canonical, they *are* related. Doomguy is a descendant of BJ, and it was BJ who blew the Cyberdemon's right leg and left arm off back when he was just a regular sort of demon (not Cyber yet) after he was summoned to earth by Nazi occultists :P

Quasar said:

Umm well if you consider Doom II RPG to be canonical, they *are* related. Doomguy is a descendant of BJ, and it was BJ who blew the Cyberdemon's right leg and left arm off back when he was just a regular sort of demon (not Cyber yet) after he was summoned to earth by Nazi occultists :P

Well Doom2 RPG was made after the last post in this thread before it was bumped :p

That said, it looks like Doom2 RPG redrew some of the monster sprites at a higher resolution, in a classic Doom style (unlike Wolf RPG).

http://www.idsoftware.com/doom-2-rpg/

Quasar said:

Does this happen in D2:RPG or in some Wolf game?

Lorenzo said:

Does this happen in D2:RPG or in some Wolf game?

IIRC it actually happens in the Wolfenstein RPG but is referenced somehow in the Doom 2 RPG as well. They were made by the same dev team.

_bruce_ said:

B.J.'s chin grew out of control because of growth hormone abuse - after all, he's an athlete.

I doubt that!

skib said:

i thought dooguy's name was flynn taggart!

Only in the books. In-game, he doesn't actually have a name (since he's supposed to be YOU).

The biggest difference between the two mugs is that Doomguy has a more photo-realistic look whilst B.J's is pretty cartoony looking. Oh, and B.J's head is a bit more square-ish whilst Doomguy's head is pretty round looking.