Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cthulhunicron

Requiem Map 4 Fireworks

Has anyone else found this map to be very glitchy? I just played it, and I found 3 points where I'll literally sink into the floor and start being attacked by a creature.

1) At the beginning, I entered the building, hit the two switches and entered the room with the lava pit. Directly in front of me were 4 shotgun shells. I stepped onto them and sank into the floor as though i were using noclipping mode, and a Hell Knight (apparently located beneath the floor boards) started scratching me.

2) Adjacent to the lava room, there's a room with a pool of water with a Medkit in the center. I hit a switch causing a circular staircase to rise. I walked up the steps to a sort of balcony, overlooking an outdoor area. I sank into the floor again, and got chaingunned.

3) There's a room made out of black and white stone. Imps are attacking from behind bars. To reach a switch at the top of the room, I have to activate a staircase. I ascend the staircase, move towards the switch and I again sink into the floor to be attacked by Hell Knights.

These bugs aren't mentioned in the Doom Wiki. Has anyone else encountered them?

It sounds like you're playing with a port with infinite-height actors disabled. These sorts of traps you're describing are generally used to hide monsters until a later point, where they pop out of the floor instantaneously to ambush the player.

Granted, good map design shouldn't put you in areas where you can actually fall into the traps, and I haven't played Requiem in forever so I can't vouch for the map, but in the original executable, you would most likely have been blocked from falling into the pits in the first place by the monsters' presence.

In some source ports it's possible trigger a switch without crossing over the linedef that pops the floor up. Happened most often for me back when I used Zdoom. I have yet to encounter that in PrBoom, though.

It could also be a port that changes the "lower floor to next highest floor" behavior. Usually that would just snap a floor without a lower adjacent floor instantly up to the nearest, which is the basis for that trick.

In (G)ZDoom on MAP04 you can hit those first two switches without triggering the raising floors if you have compatability option:
All special lines can block use = No

In that case perhaps it would be best to set your compatibility options to Doom (strict).

Yeah I've had this happen to me on Skulltag coop. First the switches fail to trigger, then you fall into the pit with the Hellknight because it's not infinitely tall. It's not the maps fault.

Well. whaddya know? Never noticed this before but it just happened to me in GZDoom. I see now that if you trigger the two switches and quickly enter the room without giving the Hellknight time to see you and rise from the floor then you'll sink into the floor beneath which he's waiting. If he does have time to rise before you step in then the floor will be safely solid beneath you when you do go in.

I've found that the best way to make sure this map works is to headbutt all switches before using them. Something about flying at top speed into them forces them to work properly, because some Requiem maps make the switches do two things at once by having the actual pressing of the switch trigger one event, while crossing the line in front of the switch triggers the other.

That has happened to me, too. Also, in the room where you'll get locked inside by bars after pressing a switch, I can't get out from the room. It's the room with the SSG in it.
This was in GZDoom.