Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skib

Wolf 3D editing

I don't think this would fit here, but what do I use to edit Wolf 3D because I want to make a Doom TC for it!

What Software?

Thanks in advance!

FloEdit

There doesn't seem to be an official website anymore, but I think FloEdit is pretty much all you need to view/edit/extract the game content.

EarthQuake said:

FloEdit

There doesn't seem to be an official website anymore, but I think FloEdit is pretty much all you need to view/edit/extract the game content.

FloEdit is the Wolf3D equivalent of Wadauthor.

The more modern Wolf3D editors are WDC and Chaos Edit

Is there a Wolf port with a sane modding interface? From what I've seen of the Wolf code, if you want to add or change anything, even just a dumb wall texture, you've got to hack the resource files directly and change the source code and recompile it.

Gez said:

Is there a Wolf port with a sane modding interface?

I haven't heard of any. Most of the modding seems to be done by changing the ancient code, compile it with an ancient compiler and then run on an ancient DOS computer or in DOSBOX.

ROTT is saner for modding (it uses WAD files for resources).

Gez said:

Is there a Wolf port with a sane modding interface?

No. Wolf4SDL has some advanced features built in, but you have to compile it yourself to get access to them. Meaning every Wolf3D mod is still going to come packaged with its own exe.

Hasn't Wolfenstein's source code been liberated? Why hasn't an awesome port been made by some dedicated fan? Is the game that unpopular?

There was a port called Newolf, which looked very promising and worked rather well, but it hasn't been updated since 2006, and is still missing things such as endings. All it did was minorly improve in the graphics and offered more refined controls for mouse users.

andrewj said:

I haven't heard of any. Most of the modding seems to be done by changing the ancient code, compile it with an ancient compiler and then run on an ancient DOS computer or in DOSBOX.

ROTT is saner for modding (it uses WAD files for resources).

As far as I understand, most serious modding of modern Id games (from Quake 2 up) is also done by recompiling a game (DLL) file.