Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Katamori 1024 (Boom-compatible megaWAD)

Recently I didn't have time, but now everything is OK, so I finished MAP10. Goin' down the fast way: level name based on the level music - R.O.T.T. soundtrack with the same name. Oh, and here are the usual pictures:

There is only ONE level, and I finished the first episode!

BTW, also I made some little bugfixes on MAP01, MAP02 and MAP08.

Things have become better after some frickin papers I had to write recently, but I really can't complain as 4 of them were mark 5 and two were 4/5. I'm on to finish my project aswell.

Greatly paced, semi-challenging level and gives some prehellistic-feeling with that huge pink infestation, telling the player: "It's time to saw some fresh meat off those big, ugly and smelling badasses on the other side of Hell's Portal! Come on, you don't have all day on!"

Okay, everybody, I am so happy now. After 5 months of work (which were sometimes hard, sometimes lazy), I finished the first 11 maps of my megaWAD project!

First episode (beta edition) of Katamori 1024 has been relased!

On the first page you can find the download link to try it. Also I'll try to upload it to the /idgames database :)

A short summary about the finished levels:

MAP01: The Train
(music: Rise of the Triad – Where iz it?)

The first level. Place is a moving vehicle. (it doesn't have to be a train definitely, but it is a good name :D) An easy start, with simple architecture.

MAP02: Office Invasion
(music: MIDI version of Limp Bizkit – Take a look around)

End of the line reached. It's a big building of UAC. You must fight in office rooms. Also, a bit simple level, but I hope you'll like it.

MAP03: UAC Industries
(music: MIDI version of Limp Bizkit - Stuck)

The other side of the building. Industrial feeling, and a little entrance hall with garages on the end. Prepare yourself, because I didn't know mercy while making this level :D

MAP04: No Parking
(music: Doom E2M1)

Name is a bit funny. Our hero didn't find any parking place, so he crashed with the building. Other parts of the level are designed by me, but my friend helped me with ideas.

MAP05: Chemical Refinery
(music: MIDI version of Limp Bizkit – Behind blue eyes)

A bit industrial feeling, dark places, and a big minelake. Any other questions? :D

MAP06: Sewers
(music: MIDI version of Limp Bizkit - Nookie)

Tight, dark, digusting sewers with a lot of imps. Let's do this! The end will be something surprising :)

MAP07: Simple Experiment
(music: Doom 2 MAP07)

Another boring remake of Dead Simple... or not? You have few place to move and fight. You don't have to run too much, but if you want, you might do this. However, avoid the skull faces on the floor! You mustn't know, whose lurked on the other side...

MAP08: Logistic Base Alpha
(music: MIDI version of Eat you alive)

An interesting warehouse, appeared on the CREDITS screen. Fist meets with Revenants, a lot of crates, and go outside. But now, you can't leave this infested place on the rails :P

MAP09: Atmosphere Complex
(music: TNT Evilution MAP05)

Do you like techbases? No, not those Doom E1 style techbases... the REAL techbases! With a lot of computers, SILVER textures and hellspawns! This level is a tecbase! Although, be careful with the dynamite... ;)

MAP10: Goin’ down the Fast way
(music:Rise of the Triad – Goin’ down the Fast way)

What means "challange"? It is a good question. Some of people will think, it an unplayable level. Other people will think: HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!

Only for your own risk.

MAP11: Escape from the Outpost
(music: MIDI version of Limp Bizkit – Rollin’)

The end of the line, the gate of the most infested places. But before you continue your way, a big horde of hellspawn await for you.

This is it. I hope you'll like my simple levels :)

Vaporizer said:

ARGH LIMP BIZKIT

you don't like it? :D my friend sent these MIDIs. he helped me much: graphics, ideas, and also music :)

Grain of Salt:

firstly, thanks for your test! I really want somebody who help me, but I didn't find...

My comments:

"1.1 - In PrBoom-Plus, those small crates at the start are impassable, because the space above them is too small to move over. It's an odd effect."

I tried this room very very much time. It doesn't impossible, but if you think it serious problem, I'll change.

"1.2 - An imp seems to be stuck in the room with rushing water."

Sorry, water? I didn't make any water place on the map.

"1.3 - There are two shotgunners who never see or hear you. You kill them without having to do anything harder than clicking on them one by one. This happens again in other maps, so I guess it's something you did to make it look like they're working?"

if I turn off Block Sound, they hear me too early and go under the place where you enter the last room. I think it's confusing. However, I may replaced them with dead bodies if it's better.

"3.1 - Those tiny ledges aren't much fun to move around on."

I'll make a bit bigger ledges.

"3.2 - There's an air vent that doesn't seem to open, even though that texture previously marked doors very reliably, and it stands out much more than the small ledge you are actually supposed to follow."

Where? Please send me a DB picture.

"3.3 - You have to stand in a very precise place to hit the exit switch. If you just move to the end of the passage and press use, nothing happens, and the player leaves thinking that they're supposed to go somewhere else. This is one of many occasions on which it really isn't obvious which workstations are supposed to be switches and which aren't."

I'll repair that. What do you think, making the S1 Exit level linedef into impassable is enough?

"6.1 - Why are the inner lines of the tunnels impassable? It gives me even less space than it looks like I should have, and makes it very annoying to dodge imps."

Impassable? Maybe a little irresponsible mistake. I'll repair that.

"6.2 - Having opened this map in Doom Builder, I notice these lines also block sound. What was this for?"

When I finished the map, I didn't want to waste my time with calibrating thos idiot Block Sound sectors, so I gave that most of the linedefs. It was a dumb and lazy idea, but... sorry :D

"6.3 - There is an area outside a door where you've carefully drawn some floor tiles on the nukage, and it looks bad. Your detailing is usually OK, but in this case it just didn't look right."

okay, it's true. I'll remove.

"6.4 - Dropping the player into a series of tunnels with damaging floors (and still not enough room to dodge the imps that block your way) is irritating. Without knowing where the nearest nukage suit was, I died."

What should I do? I made a room ONLY for the radsuits. If I put a radsuit near to the falling point, this room become pointless.

"6.5 - I don't know what the ending surprise was meant to be. :("

Cause all other parts of the level have concrete feeling, or stinky, dirty tunnels, but the end is a simple tech-corner. :D

"7.1 - The raised mancubi are trivial once the freely moving ones are dead. The moving ones themselves aren't much more of a threat."

It's only a little challange. It doesn't make this level impossible. Or maybe yes?

"7.2 - Most people will play this map without reading your warning about the skull-textured floors. This is just my opinion, but I strongly feel that maps for DOOM should speak for themselves, without any kind of commentary from the creator. As it is, most players who enter this map without prior knowledge will assume these floors mark teleporters, and will kill themselves."

Those teleporters are out of the 1024 area. It's the source of the arachnotrons. I didn't have any better idea to solve the arachnotron problem. But if you can help me, please help! :)

"7.3 - I ran out of ammo when I got to the arachnotrons, so I IDCLEVed back to the start of the level.
7.4 - I ran out of ammo again the second time, despite being very frugal with the mancubi, so I punched the last three arachnotrons to death, which was not much fun. Is there enough ammo on this map?"

I tried this level. Much time. Very much time. Even more much times! And I can finished. However, adding some ammos isn't a big work :D

"8.1 - I didn't play this map, because I couldn't get out of the first corridor. Is the first airvent supposed to open?"

Yes, of course. It's a F*CKING PRBOOM GLITCH, BECAUSE I TRIED A LOT OF DOOR TYPES AND ALL OF DOORS WORKED ON ZDOOM BUT NO ONE WORKED ON PRBOOM! Sorry for the big letters but I'm angry due to the dumb PrBoom problems... :@

"9.1 - A switch marked with yellow key textures opens the room where you get the yellow key, after raising bars that are textured in a way that implies they need a yellow key. A lot of people wouldn't try to use a switch that appears to need a key they don't have."

I'll change the textures.

"9.2 - At this point, the yellow door I'm presumably supposed to go through would not open, and I IDCLEVed to the next map. Sorry."

No one of the locked doors worked with PrBoom. I hoped, it's my problem, but now I see, no... I'm angry again ue to this dumbass source port...
Can you help me?

"10.1 - The fight after you pick up the red key is very cramped, in a way that I didn't find fun. I also ran out of ammo, and had to ignore the last few demons and just walk past them to the teleporter. This included two barons of hell, who are not much fun to fight on low ammo. This fight could have been much more fun if it weren't for all the intrusive scenery. Can you play this part comfortably?
10.2 - The very last fight is trivial, because the arch-vile is distracted by corpses and you have a vast amount of ammo. It was much more fun than the other fight, though."

I thought about removing the baron and adding more ammo. I'll do this.

"11.1 - The bars in the final room make the "horde" fight very uncomfortable. You needn't use bars to trap the player - you could just have a door that opens from one side, or a chute that drops them cleanly into the room, or you could enter the room by teleportation. Having those bars (as well as the ones that lower to let you out) makes dodging in that space unpleasant, especially the revenants and arachnotrons."

One-side works door it's not a good idea. You open the door, run to the key, and you can run back. Without fighting. But teleport may be a good idea. I'll try this.

"11.2 - There is nothing in that room that blocks the line-of-sight of an arachnotron apart from the outer walls ... although that low pillar will block your sight, meaning that an arachnotron can be firing at you before you can see it. Raising that pillar just a little would give the player a way to block the arachnotrons' fire without having to move all the way to the side of the room."

I'll raise.

Thanks for your helping, but please, help me more, if you can! I have really musch problems with those motherf*cking PrBoom-compatibility.

Oh, and...:

"These maps don't often give the impression of an expansive environment, like the other 1024 WADs do."

I was a beginner mapper when I made the first 4-5 maps. Others are only simple.

Katamori said:

It's a F*CKING PRBOOM GLITCH, BECAUSE I TRIED A LOT OF DOOR TYPES AND ALL OF DOORS WORKED ON ZDOOM BUT NO ONE WORKED ON PRBOOM! Sorry for the big letters but I'm angry due to the dumb PrBoom problems... :@

[...]
No one of the locked doors worked with PrBoom. I hoped, it's my problem, but now I see, no... I'm angry again ue to this dumbass source port...

Well, instead of blaming it on the source port, did you take a look at how it's done under said Boom-compatible wads ?
( Although the term "Boom-compatible" tends to become less and less clear those days )

Seriously, locked doors are used correctly in almost every wad, don't you think it would be weird that the "bug" didn't get fixed after all those years ?

Try giving a sector tag to your doors, for example, and see if it works.
I'll take a closer look at your wad tonight.

No offense but yelling at a source port or at its developers is not a good way to get attention, man. At least not the kind of attention you want. Just saying :o

[WH]-Wilou84 said:

Well, instead of blaming it on the source port, did you take a look at how it's done under said Boom-compatible wads ?
( Although the term "Boom-compatible" tends to become less and less clear those days )

Seriously, locked doors are used correctly in almost every wad, don't you think it would be weird that the "bug" didn't get fixed after all those years ?

Try giving a sector tag to your doors, for example, and see if it works.
I'll take a closer look at your wad tonight.

No offense but yelling at a source port or at its developers is not a good way to get attention, man. At least not the kind of attention you want. Just saying :o

Look, although every bad points, I like PrBoom+! But these little problems piss me off.

"1.2 - [stuck imp]"

I put the imp nearer to the player. I think it must be a solving for this problem.

"1.3 - [shotgunners never notice you]"

Well... you're right :D but I hope, my corpses idea also good :)

"3.2 - [air vent doesn't open]"

You can't move through the air vent. I've never wanted to make the air vent moveable. It's only a scenery. Beyond that there's a secret place, so...

"6.4 - [nukage tunnels]"

Oh my God, I've never thought about that! I'm an idiot... thanks!

"7.1 - "7.1 - The raised mancubi are trivial once the freely moving ones are dead. The moving ones themselves aren't much more of a threat."

But so what's the problem?

"7.2 - [death teleporters]"

Also an impressive idea!

"8.1 and 9.2 [doors didn't work]"

The tags. This is the secret. I already realized that, so now every doors workable :) BTW, what do you think about MAP08 and MAP09? In my opinion these level are the best of the 11 maps.

"10.1 - [red key fight]"

I added a chainsaw, and also a lot of shell packs, ammo packs, guns and medikits. And Baron of Hells has been replaced - now they are Hell Knights :)

Once more, thanks for all of the helping! :)

I'll repair those little remaining mistakes, and I'll upload my WAD to the /idgames database!

Katamori said:

you don't like it? :D my friend sent these MIDIs. he helped me much: graphics, ideas, and also music :)

Come on, he didn't like Simply Phobos E1M3's music either :D

Grain of Salt said:

Mancubi in a traditional MAP07 setup are usually dangerous to the player. I'm not sure how else to phrase this.

Okay, it's clear :)

Grain of Salt said:

I'm glad you've got it sorted now. There aren't many other things that PrBoom can trip you up with, so you seem to have found your feet now. Good luck with the rest of the maps!

Thank you!

Grain of Salt said:

8.1 - [...] I think you must have expected this part to be played with weapons from the previous map.

Yes, of course :D I'll change it too.

Grain of Salt said:

8.2 - The demon shown in this shot (http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9375/doom44.png) gets stuck, as do the others that warp to the same spot.

Teleport destination will be put to a better place.

Grain of Salt said:

I liked the outdoors part of this map. The trees are quite pretty.

Thanks! :)

Grain of Salt said:

9.1 - The switches in this shot (http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/668/doom46.png) can be activated before the sectors in front of them have lowered.

I don't have any ideas to avoid that. What so you think?

Grain of Salt said:

9.2 - The warp battle near the end can be skipped by standing on the warp spot.

I have a good idea to avoid that :)

Grain of Salt said:

Very reminiscent of Evilution. Nice choice with the music. Is that MAP06 of Evilution, or MAP20?

No, MAP20 music is a totally another music :D I put that to MAP16 in my WAD. It is MAP06 from Evilution, my second favourite music in the WAD (my favourite is the MAP20 music)

Grain of Salt said:

You might have gone a little overboard. Right now it's a little too easy.

Listen, the most important thing is how it plays for you. If you test a map thoroughly and you have fun, and it plays how you want it to, then it doesn't matter if other people find it too hard or easy. From the map description, you obviously wanted this fight to be quite challenging, so why not make it what you wanted it to be? My point earlier was mainly that I ran out of ammo and didn't have much space, not that the entire idea of the fight was wrong.

Okay, I'm undestand :)

Grain of Salt said:

Actually, you can't. In K1024.wad, you seem to have accidentially included MAP12-MAP32 of DOOM II, which isn't allowed. You need to take out those things before uploading.

Yes, I realized that too late. I'll delete other MAPs, when I'll upload that.

Grain of Salt said:

You may have to make things in that room bigger, so the player is not close enough to activate the switch unless the sectors are lowered.

Alternately, you could just leave it in as a speedrunning shortcut. It doesn't affect gameplay that much.

Yeah, that's right, but later I realized, this trick works with all of the switches. I made a bigger room and I made bigger distance between the switch and the sector. Problem solved :)

nice mapsets, especially for later ones...

anyway, i don't really love that short bridge a la map24 in map03...
and i had a little to understand you are in a "train" in map01, and also map02 must start whit a some sort of train station...

walter confalonieri said:

nice mapsets, especially for later ones...

anyway, i don't really love that short bridge a la map24 in map03...
and i had a little to understand you are in a "train" in map01, and also map02 must start whit a some sort of train station...

1. thank you :) last ones are late works, when I created the first ones, I was a simplier mapper than now

2. MAP03 is my evil idea! >:D

3. 'The Train' is just a name :D I couldn't give any better name for MAP01... but as you said, I'll try. 'Vehicle Fight' is a good idea?

Rambosee said:

Are there any positions for mapping or testing available?

Grain of Salt was a volunteer, who helped me. The fisrt 11 maps are absolutely bugfixed, but if you want, you can help me with testing :)

Katamori said:

Grain of Salt was a volunteer, who helped me. The fisrt 11 maps are absolutely bugfixed, but if you want, you can help me with testing :)

I'm in! Also I can help with map designing if you want. What map are you working on?

Rambosee said:

I'm in! Also I can help with map designing if you want. What map are you working on?

MAP12. I started on Monday. Today I didn't have time to continue. I don't know yet, when will I continue.

Katamori said:

MAP12. I started on Monday. Today I didn't have time to continue. I don't know yet, when will I continue.

Hmm, i have lots of free time. Send me a copy if you wish and i can go through it and see how its going so far and if i get permission i'll edit it.

Rambosee said:

Hmm, i have lots of free time. Send me a copy if you wish and i can go through it and see how its going so far and if i get permission i'll edit it.

I can send you but I want an important thing: please, don't edit!
It's my work. I listen every tips and hints, but I want to make mapping lonely.

BTW, give for me your MSN or Skype adress! :D

Katamori said:

I can send you but I want an important thing: please, don't edit!
It's my work. I listen every tips and hints, but I want to make mapping lonely.

BTW, give for me your MSN or Skype adress! :D

Okay! Thats all right with me! I understand why you want to work alone, to see how far your creativity can go without mapping partners. That was with me too once I realized everything I needed to know about doom builder. MSN: sergey_121@hotmail.com. Also if you want I can send you 3 texture packs that I got from doomworld!

Rambosee said:

Also if you want I can send you 3 texture packs that I got from doomworld!

It will be needed later. I don't want to use any new textures in Katamori 1024. Later I'll use new tetxures in a new WAD but recently no.