Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vdgg

Teaming up - Inferno by Chris Lutz [done!!!]

E3M8 UV Pacifist tablefiller in 3:42. My first-exit demo was not bad, but with a very ugly time (4:01), so here's the fourth survival :-)

i3n8p342.zip

Heh, I was about to make pacifist for that map too. Today I thought that the beginning of the map is the only hard part (after yellow key). Nice execution.

Btw, you don't need red key :)

Paska said:

Btw, you don't need red key :)

Thanks for the hint! Here's my fifth exit, based on your shortcut, as well as on much better running in the first third.

EDIT: BTW, the wad will be fully conquered Pacifist style if someone does E3M5. It looks feasible, but I'm not good at glides, so I'll leave it to you mousers.

i3n8p311.zip

@didier: good job, i know how horrible those imp islands are, heh.

SAV88 said:

EDIT: BTW, the wad will be fully conquered Pacifist style if someone does E3M5. It looks feasible, but I'm not good at glides, so I'll leave it to you mousers.

i can imagine the sargeant ledge getting cleared, but it's not what bothers me about it. i can't even get there! the three imps blocking that little bridge in the first area have to die, which means leading at least one caco to them and praying for the best, because the demons are useless and counterproductive. then the cliff room after the glide gets swarmed by a horde of imps and one would have to use that lone caco very effectively to build some safe space.
this is crazy engineering and you either get looper, xepop or vono obsessed about it, or it's not getting filled. :)

on a brighter note, you forgot one undone pacifist hurdle, but worry no more! it was a tough bitch, but fell after proper planning.
e3m6 secret exit pacifist in 3:36

i3s6p336.zip

SAV88 said:

Xepop said that the undone pacifist runs for this episode would be too tough or
tedious. But E3M8 is not. It's more or less tough, with some tricky-to-pass,
pacifist-unfriendly monster groups, but playing it is far more fun than messing
with that crowded berserk area in the E3M2 pacifist run, IMO.

To be honest I only looked map05 and didn't have time to delve too deep into possible routes so I chose the easy table filling ones. At least I was partly right as it's the only one left :p

OK so I tried something here, too :) Not much NMs have left, so I did an initial E3M7 run. Had big problems with this map, though. With the original exe I constantly had VPOs at the blue key, tried Doom+ and it crashed right at the start when trying to climb the 3D staircase :( So I just had to avoid those VPOs somehow.

I really should have skipped the blue sphere as I had good health and didn't need it. Didn't attempt to perform the glide because I cannot do it reliably.

EDIT: 500th post hehe.

i3n7n139.zip

Donce said:

OK so I tried something here, too :) Not much NMs have left, so I did an initial E3M7 run.

Nice to see the most well-built map in the episode get a Nightmare demo (which is also fast enough). Now the only level undone on skill 5 is (again!) E3M5.

didierbertrand said:

a time under 5 min is perhaps possible

It's possible in under 2:30. But I can't do the exit glide, so here's 2:58.

i3n4s258.zip

vdgg said:

Are we moving slowly into "wrapping up" phase? Are you guys recording something yet?

I'm currently planning a max for my and Chris' favorite level (E3M7), and hopefully I'll finish it until the deadline. If not, then the demopack will get Dew's 9:12 run (nice stylish demo, though strategically imperfect), and I'll retry my max later and release it separately.

EDIT: BTW, great job with your last max for level 5! It features solid aiming, skillful punching, and snappier movement than in your past demos. Well, it's pushable down to 10-11 minutes, but your 13:35 is already a high-quality record.

i'm attempting e3m7 nm100, the first half is pretty intense and my only two successful passes failed on brainfarts in the easy parts.
i also agree with artem that my max is more like a first draft. room order and ammo usage is extremely intricate there and by the time i came up with a working route i already had wheeltracks imprinted in my brain and couldn't think outside of the box. i'll be happy with a short route credit. :)

e3m7 nm100 in 3:03

wheww, still shaking. a second exit in which i got really lucky, so it probably looks easier than it is. like no spectres spawning in my face when i need that last bfg shot for later. :)

i3n7s303.zip

dew said:

I think this is the first nm100 i've ever done.

You forgot about "ks19n106.lmp - Nightmare! with 100% Secrets" :-)

Anyway, your I3N7S303 is also a nice stylish run, with precise BigFraggingGun'ning. It's of course doable in 2:XX instead of 3:XX, but your demo is already worth to be in the final pack.

OK, I'll need your help, feedback and activity from now on.

I attached a draft of the demopack text file. It is generally a hybrid between standard fduvinfo stuff and NDCPmax.txt, which I find aesthetically more pleasing.

- As you can see, the filenames are in the vein of Scythe, Vile or almost any other demopack. They lost a redundant "3", as every map is from 3rd episode

- By default I put your nicks as they appear in this forum. But one may prefer to be, e.g. Doug "Opulent" Merrill instead of Opulent, so let me know if you want to change them.

- General demo comments. I hope everyone will write something here. If you're out of ideas, here's some:
... your experience (or lack of) with recording demopacks
... your speedrunning experience
... WAD impression
... your favourite demos by other players

You may attach a txt file, write your txt in the reply, as you prefer

- Demo comments (descriptions). These are optional. I pasted your comments from your txt files, but as you can see, the result is a massive block of text. If you feel you can make your descriptions a bit shorter :) (I suspect no-one will, just a suggestion). Xepop's descriptions are perfect.

- Oh, I just wrote this draft and didn't check it. I will do it, but still if you have a good eye for spotting mistakes, please let me know.

inflmpstxt.zip

INFERNO DEMOPAK BY DOOMWORLD FORUMS SPEEDRUNNERS' TEAM
DEMOPAK :)

.txt doesn't look messy for my eyes.

Ah, the deadline is approaching ;)

I will post a faster NM of E3M7, currently have a 1:26, and I wanted to do it at least one second faster than that, but hardly had any time to spend on it. So I'll probably post the 1:26 run (after) tomorrow and then write the txt stuff.

I swept out some garbage from my texts and they became a little shorter (by one kilobyte total). Here is a zipfile with these modifications to my part of INFLMPS.TXT.

And when I do my INF7-MAX (if I'll succeed to finish it in these 4 days), I'll make a reasonably short description of it.

As for my general comments, I'll add them later.

BTW, don't you want to add a description for your INF5-MAX? It's a worthwhile demo for a worthwhile level, and deserves some little story :)

inftxt.zip

here's a comment about the pack as a whole: http://pastebin.com/nkBR4uZD
i already ranted enough about the demos. except please change that bit in e3m7 speed about the strafe glide being looper's style to xepop's. i owe him that. :)

My general comments for this pack:

I thought I would have a lot of fun with this project, as this is an Ultimate
Doom WAD; after all, I'm in the middle of a campaign to play every level in
idgames/levels/doom/.  The results, however, could not be any more unfortunate.
It's not a bad WAD, by any stretch of the imagination, with clever and
atmospheric design using nothing but the resources of the Doom IWAD.  There's
nothing wrong with that.  The problem with this WAD is that /it is not good for
speedrunning./  There's a lot of stuff to get in your way when going for UV
speed, and the thing placement is just awkward enough for max runners to have
trouble with it.  For the first community demo project in a few years, vdgg
picked one of the worst possible WADs for it.

Naturally, I wound up contributing only one demo, unlike nearly everyone else in
the project.  I would've gone for at least one max demo, but by the end of the
project, I had completely lost interest. Any further activity of mine on this
WAD may have to wait till I get to this WAD in my campaign... if I ever do.
Enjoy my one demo, I guess.
My comments for my E3M2 UV speed, built from the textfiles of my two demos:
This is a really bad level for UV speed, in no small part because there's an
awful lot of stuff to get stuck on, mostly decorative pillars around doors that
serve no apparent purpose other than to hinder your movement, as well as the
placement of a platform at one point ensuring that should you cross it, you will
fly out of control into the side of a doorway.  I would've done a wallrun all
the way up the hallway with the lost soul, but unlike every other WAD ever made
in the history of Doom, what opens the pillar is a light in the /middle/ of the
hall instead of a line stretching across its width.  My original demo was 1:20,
with previous times including 1:27, 1:23, and 1:21.

Prompted by dew getting 1:18, I improved my time by incorporating two extra
tricks: xepop's closing and opening the door to the red key room so that you can
run through it without stopping on your way out, along with a bit of waiting so
you can swipe the key before the barons wake up and step on it; and dew's
strafe50 jump in the pillar bridge room, which is rather hard to pull off in a
hurry.  I'm not going to beat around the bush; I /really/ didn't appreciate
having to play this level on UV speed again.  Ultimately, though, I produced a
more optimized demo than before, which I'm glad I pulled off.  Previous exits
for /this/ demo included 1:19 and my own 1:18.

My general comment for the pack:

First I didn't have any interest in this project but I just wanted to check e3m8 max. I hate those VIS plane overflows. That's the reason I won't go for e3m5 pacifist.

Paska said:
INFERNO DEMOPAK BY DOOMWORLD FORUMS SPEEDRUNNERS' TEAM
DEMOPAK :)

I must have seen this spelling somewhere. Anyway, if this title sucks as a whole I can change it you all have any better in your minds.

.txt doesn't look messy for my eyes.

"General pack comments" haven't been added yet. Anyway, your descriptions are just fine, I don't see anything redundant in them. I really like reading stuff about mapper errors BTW.

Donce said:
Ah, the deadline is approaching ;)

I will post a faster NM of E3M7, currently have a 1:26, and I wanted to do it at least one second faster than that, but hardly had any time to spend on it. So I'll probably post the 1:26 run (after) tomorrow and then write the txt stuff.

Haha, when I was asking about demos in progress you didn't say anything. Looking forward to seeing your faster one, glad you mentioned it.

SAV88 said:
I swept out some garbage from my texts and they became a little shorter (by one kilobyte total). Here is a zipfile with these modifications to my part of INFLMPS.TXT.

Thanks!

BTW, don't you want to add a description for your INF5-MAX? It's a worthwhile demo for a worthwhile level, and deserves some little story :)

I don't know, my "general pack comments" is a wall of text, I may add a sentence or two about this demo, but I didn't personally think it was an extraordinary one.

@dew, TGH, Paska: thanks, I'll be putting your texts and corrections right away.

Finally, my comments which may change after Donce's new demo: http://pastebin.com/Hc1WcwRu

Hopefully in the next 'Teaming up,' you guys can tackle a Doom 2 wad. Ultimate Doom is boring to watch. :)

Done! I also made a correction if you don't mind :)
Now it's "i've downloaded this wad and saw there wasn't any demo on dsda"

I recorded a 1:25 NM in E3M7, just one sec off the previous run, yesterday I tried to improve it because I was not satisfied by the slow ending, but I failed. So this is probably final. Sorry, no txt yet, just returned home and it's 4am, descriptions (demo and general) will follow next evening.

EDIT: forgot about changed filename convention...

i3n7n125.zip