Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alphawolf

Extra Skys

I want to add more skys into my wad. I have the default SKY1, SKY2 etc but I want to have more than the standard 3, for example I would like Sky 4 5 and 6 if possible.

How do I go about doing this? I have imported as a texture already but it doesn't register as a sky. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the port you target with your mod. You have at your disposal tools as varied as MAPINFO (or equivalent), or you have the MBF sky transfer (line types 271 and 272, see mbfedit.txt) supported by PrBoom(+), Eternity, (G)ZDoom, Vavoom and Skulltag.

Depends on what source port you're using. Vanilla Doom is restricted to 3-4 skies (depending on whether it's Doom or Doom II/Final Doom). And even then, the skies are fixed to specific groups of levels.

1. Using something like ZDoom's MAPINFO, you can select up to two skies to use per map.
2. Eternity has something similar, called EMAPINFO.
3. For MBF based ports (ZDoom, its children, and Eternity, etc) there is a line type 271, that let's you transfer a linedef's texture to the ceiling and render it as a sky. (272 sets the tagged sectors floor, IIRC). See this thread for details.
4. Zdoom also has a special called Static_Init which can be used to set skies on a per-sector basis, which does the same thing as the above linedef types.

Edit: Well fuck, Gez. You lurk too damned much.

Edit 2: This is probably pretty obvious, but it might be considered useful under certain circumstances in vanilla Doom: you can use a black flat and wall texture to create a void-style black sky. This actually looks pretty good in dark maps.

3. For MBF based ports (ZDoom, its children, and Eternity, etc) there is a line type 271, that let's you transfer a linedef's texture to the ceiling and render it as a sky.(272 sets the tagged sectors floor, IIRC)

Is this done via scripting? I've not tried any scripting as of yet. I did read that link that you shared. Do I have to click on the sector and tag it's ceiling with this type 271?

It is GZDOOM I'm using (Doom in Hexen format) gez says that I should look in mbfedit.txt but I couldn't find it in Doom2.wad or gzdoom.pk3

This might sound ignorant I know; your help is appreciated.

No, it's not done with scripting, there's no scripting in MBF. It's an old port based on Boom. PrBoom, Eternity and ZDoom all offer compatibility with most of MBF's editing features.

Anyway, if you're using Hexen format, then you should look into Static_Init or MAPINFO. Depending on what you want to do. MAPINFO lets you give any arbitrary sky to an entire map; Static_Init lets you give any arbitrary sky to a section of a map.

Still don't understand.

Fourth, fifth, sixth maybe more skies, as well as the default.

I have inserted a new sky texture I want and then go to MAPINFO for GZDOOM and set it as the sky that I want it to.

Do I have to add the new sky file to the textures? If this is true then is it not possible to have any texture as a sky?

Thanks again!

PS I don't understand what line 190 is, or any line for that matter lol.