Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Game: Find the HOM (s)

And I want to look for hidden HOM's.......why? To what meaningful end and purpose could I get from this that would compel me to seek out hidden HOM's?

Hall Of Mirrors - the term used for the strange blurry effect seen when there are missing textures, or dodgy nodes, most usually. IDCLIP out the side of a map for this.

What makes this post even more fail is that OpenGL/hardware accelerated 3D ports like that used for that screenshot don't even exhibit "classic" HOMing, so even if there are HOMs they will look nothing like software rendering ones.

Kirby said:

And I want to look for hidden HOM's.......why? To what meaningful end and purpose could I get from this that would compel me to seek out hidden HOM's?

If you can spot an inconspicuous HOM from a screenshot, how much easier do you think it would be to find one in-game? I like where this is going, but the screenshot is taken in OpenGL (and uploaded as a JPEG), which means finding them is almost impossible. A well placed HOM can be undetectable.

The only one I'm sure of is the left one, on the side of the compblue platform. The right one, something is amiss, but I can't really tell with the low quality image. The third, I only have a vague idea: it's possibly on the edge of the right brown wall segment.

I vote what EQ has circled on the left, but not his center pick. Also, the bit of blue sticking out from behind the right pillar is an HOM for sure.

Encryptic said:

Forget the HOM - why exactly would a techbase have a ceiling made out of wood panels?

OP most likely threw this in DB2 for this thread and forgot to change the ceiling texture.

I honestly can't see the alleged HOMs. The blue box's tecture seems to follow the outline as it should, and DD's ones just seem to highlight JPEG artifacts or OpenGL glitches that could be anything but HOMs. And a HOM on a SPRITE column? Really?

Marnetmar said:

OP most likely threw this in DB2 for this thread and forgot to change the ceiling texture.

Damn. I was hoping it was going to be a spin-off of "This Old House" called "This Old Techbase".

"Hi, I'm your host Bob Vila and today we're going to show you how you can install your own wood-paneled ceiling to replace that bland 2029-era cement in your techbase. It's just the thing to keep those hellspawn and other uninvited guests feeling right at home."

Maes said:

I honestly can't see the alleged HOMs. The blue box's tecture seems to follow the outline as it should, and DD's ones just seem to highlight JPEG artifacts or OpenGL glitches that could be anything but HOMs. And a HOM on a SPRITE column? Really?

I don't think he was being serious, he was most likely making fun of those with "HOM-vision" as I would call it.

it should be potentially possible to take screenshots of HOM effects and make them virtually undetectable. I think this game would be better if it involved HOM effects hidden in maps that we were allowed to play and search for.

Like everyone else, I can't see shit. Definetely would be easier without the GL, but this still doesn't hold up to the level riddle game, place this screenshot, ect...

Guest DILDOMASTER666

The far right few columns (as in vertical runs of pixels) of the image certainly appear to be a HOM.

EDIT: Sure enough, Earthquake is quite correct about the HOM he pointed out on the left COMPBLUE platform.

Marnetmar said:

I don't think he was being serious,

I have HOM vision and I don't see them, I could guess where they most likely would appear.

Perhaps posting small sections of an original doom map when the automap is displayed might be more fun to play.

DoomHero85 said:

How would that assist you in finding a HOM?

It wouldn't, call it a new game. Curious to see if people know all doom maps from looking at a small section cut out from a automap screen.

Lüt said:

You're doing it wrong.

Use software rendering.

To be fair, HOM appears everywhere, even in Windows (but it doesn't flash). It appears in Quake 3 Arena for example, and it even flashes like in vanilla Doom. Or in Diablo when the random generator can't compute.