Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Why is the player immune?

They already say Doom 4 isn't really a sequel to Doom 3 or something. I really wonder what id is doing with Doom 4 in that case.

I think the Doom guy just got lucky along with everyone else who didn't get zombified. Then again the mental strength thing kinda sounds good too. But Sarge has been there for a long time and was fine. Although he did become Sabaoth and maaaybe was evil the whole time without you knowing. Then again he could've just had Bravo team killed by demons and had the demons send the transmission for him instead of having Bravo team pointlessly kill his allies just to trick them into sending the transmission so maybe he was good at the time...

Aaah man so many mysteries. I'm always suprised when people say Doom 3 had no story. They obviously never read the logs or listened to the audio or accessed the computer terminals for medical info on volunteers or whatever else there was.

Gez said:

My theory is simple: there are only three people in the entire facility that are just freshly arrived, and that have not spent their last few months (at least) being subjects to nightmares, suspicion, paranoia and a growing psychosis. When you talk to the people before the shit hit the fan, or when you read the logs they left, you see how everybody has heard voices, or heard about other people who did, or they have seen strange things, noticed weird stenches, there are all these "volunteers" who disappeared and the stories that are told about that, etc.

Basically, their minds have been weakened by the growing psychosis, as well as probably some dark magic from Betruger, to make them succumb faster to the attack. Some resist for a time, but eventually they're all killed or possessed. The ones who are badass enough to fend off zombies (the marines) were among the most affected by the "conditioning" going on since they were the ones who provided the pool of "volunteers".

Campbell, Swann and the Doomguy arrive with their full wits about them and resist a lot better. Eventually, Campbell and Swann succumb to their wounds acquired in combat, but they don't get possessed. The Doomguy remains the sole survivor of the entire facility.

that sounds pretty neat.

I've pondered over the same question, and I've come up with a few answers as well as questions...

The original Doom Guy must've been pretty mentally stable, I mean did you see the way he approaches every situation? A blank looking face, the only movement are his eyes and eyebrows. The only thing I saw him get surprised over the entire game was when he stood under the crotch of the Cyberdemon but I'm pretty sure he was thinking "No homo no homo no homo, I refuse to be gay".

My personal question is, how come he gets to survive? He's, and I quote from the game, Marine Security making him just the middle man between security and soldier. I know everyone on that base received roughly the same kind of training as the Doom Guy, but for some reason he gets to be the ONLY survivor out of what... Millions of Civilians/Armed Personnel? There has to be atleast one coward who hid underneath the smallest crevice somewhere on that facility, then again how could they search it all and determine everyone's dead when that base is pretty freakin huge. I just think it would be neat to see atleast a few other soldiers mopping up what's left, after all you don't get to see them fight much other then when they're carelessly entering a room then ambushed.

the_lurker said:

It's simple really. Some people have DNA that makes them inherently good, and others, well, they have DNA that makes them bad. And when they get infected, the bad ones become the demons, and the good ones get superhuman abilities.

That's from the movie!

EmZee712 said:

My personal question is, how come he gets to survive? He's, and I quote from the game, Marine Security making him just the middle man between security and soldier. I know everyone on that base received roughly the same kind of training as the Doom Guy, but for some reason he gets to be the ONLY survivor out of what... Millions of Civilians/Armed Personnel? There has to be atleast one coward who hid underneath the smallest crevice somewhere on that facility, then again how could they search it all and determine everyone's dead when that base is pretty freakin huge. I just think it would be neat to see atleast a few other soldiers mopping up what's left, after all you don't get to see them fight much other then when they're carelessly entering a room then ambushed.

Survival works in strange ways. Remember that one time that scientist armed with a crowbar survived an alien invasion, government assassination squad, pseudo-1984 world, and a retardedly long hiatus?

It might also just be (as hinted at earlier) the fact that the marine is the protagonist, and the protagonist is generally immune to whatever kills off everyone else. (If that isn't already an "official" trope, it should be.[Albeit worded better.])

immune? become a zombie isn't a disease in doom.

If you get infected, it was from possession.

Or maybe Doom Guy is the Anti-Christ or chosen.

He isn't immune, he is just as mortal as everyone else in the video game world.

I mean, not even he can survive contra...no one can survive contra.

Wouldn't it be something if, in Doom 4 (if it's ever made), one possible thread of the game would be that you become infected and continue on as a zombie, trying to avoid being killed by a computer-run new Doom Guy from the UAC?

Or maybe you become possessed and your goal is then to defeat the forces of good before they kill you. Evil wins!

This has nifty possibilities in multiplayer.

audiodef said:

Wouldn't it be something if, in Doom 4 (if it's ever made), one possible thread of the game would be that you become infected and continue on as a zombie, trying to avoid being killed by a computer-run new Doom Guy from the UAC?

Or maybe you become possessed and your goal is then to defeat the forces of good before they kill you. Evil wins!

This has nifty possibilities in multiplayer.

I like being the good guy.

Please ID, dont change the formula for DOOM4, just remake doom 2 with new graphics, then I'd be happy.

audiodef said:

Someone already tried this approach and it was less than impressive. If you still want to try it, "good" stuff can be found here

Its like the black plague. Those with allergies were immune to it.

Well theres only one route I see available now...

Looks like this Doom Marine...
*puts on sunglasses*
Isn't really doomed.
YAAAAAAAAH

the version by gez is easily the most logical one. getting zombified is like a disease. doomguy, swann and campbell arrived last, so they had the least exposure to hellish influence. most other people already developed symptoms like hearing voices, seeing things etc, which were taken for signs of paranoia by the medical staff. doomguy seems a particularly mentally stable man, judging by his reactions, or lack thereof. of course, after he got the soul cube it's also possible that the cube shielded him completely against mental attacks.

The second Doom3 novel "Maelstrom" summed it up pretty well, in my opinion. From the book, during the second wave of demonic energy:

Uri could hear their yells, the screams, the few barked words of confusion, trying to marshal each other's brains to understand and, Christ, do something.

But with the air came the noise, and having seen what happened last time, Uri pressed tight against the wall, neatly into a corner, and waited for the inevitable, waited for what came next.

*Skip a few pages*

I have a name, he thought. Even as a roaring train of sound and light rocketed past him, almost ripping him away from his crouching position at the wall, he kept thinking, I have a name. I'm, I'm...

And he knew that if he couldn't recall his name now, and who he was, that something would begin to slip, that whatever still roared past him would somehow be able to touch him, capture him... change him.

So he absolutely knew he had to fight to keep coming back to that point. My name, my life... I had it just a few seconds ago. It was there, sweet God, it was just there. Please don't let it just vanish.

But then the roaring noise seemed to ebb, and with it, the light, the color, began to fade. The roaring express moved on, seeking other corners, other people. And then, there it was:

I'm Uri. And I'm okay.

Uri wasn't the main character, the event was just told from his perspective. It kind of makes sense, in light of the supernatural forces at work in the story, that to avoid becoming a demonic undead, you would have to hold on to some shred of your humanity with all your strength. It's a reasonable explanation as to why some people were able to remain human.