Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Doom 1 PSX lighting mod, are there any out there?

I'm aware of PSX Doom TC but that's not what I'm looking for. Are there any mods that take the original maps and give them PSX-style lighting?

I think this would be really cool.

Marnetmar said:

I already have it, not what I'm looking for.

I take a guess you're searching for a wad which would automatically turn all levels into PSX Doom Lighting mode. Honestly something like this doesn't exist and won't. And I don't think it is possible for source ports to have a PSX Doom lighting mode coded in, that would apply everywhere.

Haha, that's not what I mean either. I mean like a wad for zdoom that takes the original IWAD levels and adds PSX lighting.

If only there was something possible like that. Reminds me of the Hammer of Thryion port for Hexen II which has an optional colored lighting that can be loaded into the maps that builds it in, something like GLBSP. Such a thing for Doom maps I don't think would work the same way without modifying the maps themselves.

Do you mean the waythat PSX Doom has coloured sector lighting?

What if a wad could be made that has scripts to give random sectors random colour values...may be amusing but cool to see!

FuzzballFox said:

Do you mean the waythat PSX Doom has coloured sector lighting?

What if a wad could be made that has scripts to give random sectors random colour values...may be amusing but cool to see!

Even cooler, think this. What if it colored sectors in the map DEPENDING on what texture ceiling uses? or floor? It would be awesome, for example TLITE texture sectors would be colored yellow. with red TLITE, red.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

One simple way to do such a thing (although this would only work in GZDoom or any other port supporting GLDEFS) would be to define EXTREMELY high values for the "glow" keywords for certain defined flats.

FuzzballFox said:

Can ACS check flats? If so this could probably be done!

I found that there's an option to check the floor/ceiling texture of the room a particular actor is in, but unfortunately I see no such ability to "Get" or "Check" a random sector's ceiling/floor texture. If that were the case, you could create a "for" loop to cycle through every single sector number and get the ceiling texture of each one. If the ceiling texture were one that featured a texture with lights, that sector could then be brightened or colored.

I'm just not sure if this is possible right now. If someone could figure out how to write a script that quickly cycles through all sectors at the beginning of the map and checks for certain ceiling/floor textures, though, that would be awesome.

Looking at the zdoom wiki the sector_setcolor function uses tags not sector numbers (as I guess you would expect in the doom-world ;) ) so the majority of sectors that are tag 0 could not be modified as they would then all be the same.

The PSX-Doom mod uses the sector_setcolor function.

GLDefs would possibly work OK but as Fisk touches on, it's not really a whole sector effect so really tall sectors would not be completely re-colored; and it may have performance consequences?

Travers

One could use Doomsday's Ticker class XG type to do it for single maps. The Ticker XG class has a little known option to work without a trigger line being physically present in the map.

Sadly XG has no way to check the map number currently (i.e such Ticker based XG would try to run on every single map).