Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dogface

Text screen editing

is it possible it edit the original text screens in doom 2.(like the ones after levels 6 11 and 20)

Yes and no. Directly editing them is impractical but you can use either a Dehacked patch or Mapinfo lump to display the text of your choice.

I've tried Dehacked but it does not run on my computer and I've tried mapinfo as well but some thing always goes wrong where the sky does not work and it keeps playing the level over and over again.

i probable should have added this to my first post but i am editing the doom 2 iwad

Dehacked should work if run in DOSBox, alternately you can try WhackEd2 or WhackEd3 beta which both run under Windows. Don't know where you might be running into problems with Mapinfo without seeing your script.

I suggest you strip the changes out of your IWAD and put them in a PWAD, it'll give you less grief in the long run.

dogface said:

i probable should have added this to my first post but i am editing the doom 2 iwad

Do NOT modify your IWADs. Ever.

Thanks WhackEd2 works perfectly

PRIMEVAL said:

Do NOT modify your IWADs. Ever.

I've edited iwads with out problems before i just never edited text screens

Doesn't matter if you're not having problems, you should not edit them as it could cause problems. If you're gonna modify the game, do it with PWADs.

The main problems with modifying your IWAD:

1. What if you want to go back to just a basic Doom game, with nothing added in? Do you keep countless copies of the IWAD with tiny, superficial changes like the pistol graphic? That wastes space.

2. What if you want to distribute your mod for others to play? Distributing even a modified Doom.wad is copyright infringement and will get you boo'd out of the community.

no one cares today about copyright infridgement.

but yeah, changing IWAD is not guud ;/

D_GARG said:

no one cares today about copyright infridgement.

but yeah, changing IWAD is not guud ;/

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Snakes said:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

via the net you see file sharing like crazy, via the net few bother to even think about the copyright laws, and thats something you notice if you've been around long enough.

if you could you would download a car in physical form, wouldnt you?

big deal is if you would download a hubble telescope but not if you would download a piece of choclate or a toothbrush.

same thing is if you just download cracked CS1.6, almost everyone has tried it. net is very close to maximum annonymous so you cant shoot all the ducks cus they're millions.
also because it infriges human privacy and the rest of the dozzens of rights you name it.

Stealing / pirating is one thing. Modifying something just slightly, then releasing it as your own is something else.