Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone

Lighting

Ok so when i open a door i want the light to be able to flood out of the door and go into the rooms (not all the way) and then when the door closes the light to go off, the light is at the bottom of the door. How do I do this? thanks. (i'm trying to have realistic lighting.)

Clusterone said:

(i'm trying to have realistic lighting.)

That may be hard. Doom's lighting is anything but realistic and pseudo-realistic effects are normally very hard to achieve.

But before giving any more answers, what source port do you map for, if any?

zdoom (doom in doom format)
And ya i figured that, it would be really hard, but there has to be something i could do right? I haven't mapped in a while though and just started to get back into it (friend has a PC i have a mac :() so i'm just messing around with it seeing what i can do.

Clusterone said:

zdoom (doom in doom format)

That's a dead end. Most advanced ZDoom features are not even available in that. Documentation for the available advanced features is also extremely spotty because nobody maps in this.

Most ZDoom projects are 'Doom in Hexen' or 'Doom in UDMF' and for those you'll also get much better help.

It depends on what port you are aiming for. In Doomsday for example, when using the Bias lighting model all you would need to do is to place a light source behind the door and the engine handles the rest. I believe newer versions of Vavoom have something similar.

Graf Zahl said:

That's a dead end. Most advanced ZDoom features are not even available in that. Documentation for the available advanced features is also extremely spotty because nobody maps in this.

Most ZDoom projects are 'Doom in Hexen' or 'Doom in UDMF' and for those you'll also get much better help.

Err. correct me if I am wrong, but ACS isn't limited to Hexen or UDMF format. So there's no reason he can't make his doors with light using fairly simple ACS scripts. Of course it would be made easier from using Hexen format since then he would only need to make one script and simply have the same script run for all the doors using different args.

ACS in Doom format is only possible with libraries. Since the presence of a BEHAVIOR lump is what allows to make a difference between Doom format and Hexen format. Add a BEHAVIOR lump to a Doom level, and then ZDoom will read its THINGS and LINEDEFS lumps as if it were in Hexen format, resulting in a ton of errors.

Not to mention that there's countless other features that need the added information that are only available in Hexen format, like line and thing IDs and thing z-coordinates, for example.

You can do something at least similar to what I think you're describing in Boom, and by extension, ZDoom in Doom format. No scripting needed.

D1 and DR door line types (the lines that don't take a tag, and affect the door sector that their backside faces) had a purpose added to their tag field in Boom. I haven't used it in a long time, but I'm pretty sure you tag the D1 or DR trigger line, then give that tag to all the sectors you want to affect, and their lighting will fade up to match the door sector's brightness as the door opens (and back down when it closes). It's something along those lines.

Hey everyone! Stop talking about what flavour of ZDoom Clusterone needs because there's an easy way to do this in Boom. To quote BOOMREF.TXT:

Since a push door (P1/PR) has no use for its tag, BOOM has extended the functionality to include changing any tagged sectors to maximum neighbor lighting on fully opening, then to minimum neighbor lighting on fully closing. This is true for regular, extended, and generalized doors with push triggers.

This is actually also implemented in ZDoom, in an improved fashion where the lighting change is gradual instead of instant.

EDIT: Aw, beaten to it. And here I thought I was the only person who knew this feature existed.

EDIT #2: I guess I should acknowledge that this only works for pushable doors, not for walk- or switch-activated doors. Then, the most universal solution would probably be voodoo scripts...

esselfortium said:

You can do something at least similar to what I think you're describing in Boom, and by extension, ZDoom in Doom format. No scripting needed.

There's an example in boomedit.wad