Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

ID20

Gez said:

Funny that Romero is linked, but id's own stuff isn't.

We need to be less friendly on Id, if we want to convince them to release great titles again.

It would be far more interesting to hear his take on the middle days.

printz said:

We need to be less friendly on Id, if we want to convince them to release great titles again.

Quake Live

Gez said:

Like I said, they ("they" being Id and Zenimax) didn't really post anything more than a sentence in length on Twitter and Facebook about it. Romero's post was the biggest article from a semi-official source I could find.

It'd be more impressive if id had made it to 20 as an independent studio, and not one looking at releasing their next game with DRM and planned-obsolescence features, and talking about DOOM 3 being their last open-source engine (with even that looking questionable after all these years, wtf is going on anyway?).

Quasar said:

(with even that looking questionable after all these years, wtf is going on anyway?).

Mmmmm, Doom 3 source ports. But that's just a dream.

Or (if it's going to be GNU-GPL) copy Doom 3 features into Doom ports that are also GNU :D

printz said:

Mmmmm, Doom 3 source ports. But that's just a dream.

Or (if it's going to be GNU-GPL) copy Doom 3 features into Doom ports that are also GNU :D

Probably the only thing in Doom 3 that could be used in Doom would be the scripting engine; however, it's already open source - it is included in the SDK. Granted the SDK is not licensed compatibly, but it could be still be "learned from" - in fact I considered this for Eternity for a while. The problems with it are two-fold: 1. the code has NO documentation or commenting, and 2. the entirety of its method of defining actors and states and tying models to them would be completely inapplicable for a Doom port.

In the end, a general-purpose scripting language would be easier to adapt.

kristus said:

Carmack isn't the same kind of nostalgic that Romero is. :p

Well, Carmack is still in the place and working on AAA games, while Romero... Romero has reasons to be nostalgic about it.

kristus said:

Carmack isn't the same kind of nostalgic that Romero is. :p

Not that Romero has had a continuous success streak to have the luxury to forget about *ahem Daikatana, Bitch Ad, etc. *

Quasar said:

however, it's already open source - it is included in the SDK.

Doesn't that mean that mods with custom SDKs are violating the licence if they don't include their source codes available to the end-user?

Gez said:

But here we tend to look at id from an early 90s perspective and, reasons aside, Romero relates to that more than the id site does.

printz said:

Doesn't that mean that mods with custom SDKs are violating the licence if they don't include their source codes available to the end-user?

I don't think so. I said open-source, not free software. id game SDKs are under restricted use licenses up until such time that the game engine gets GPL'd. The SDK license for Doom 3 basically states "You can only use this to create mods with the idTech 4 engine." Which is why you couldn't take it and directly use it with Doom, yet. You can learn from looking at it, certainly, which is what I attempted to do. It just didn't help me much.