Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

help [trying to make my own weapons and sprites]

Im trying to make my own weapons and sprites.

I can draw in FP perspective well...on paper.

On PC, I screw up somewhere. Either it looks good but colors ruin it, or it looks odd and pixly.

First, can someone name a program other than GIMP, MS paint, and paint.NET?

GIMP doesnt have a line tool, which I need.
paint.NET makes everything far too pixled and has these weird blue/white outlines in game as well random floating purple pixles.

and MS paint makes wolfenstein styled guns at best.

And also, can someone point me in the direction of a very good tutorial on shading/lighting effects?

It would do alot for me, thanks.

Maybe you should take photos of your drawing and someone could manipulate the photo to look like a real Doom weapon sprite?

huh, can you do that? That would be cool.

I'd like to show you guys my progress with drawing on the PC.

Some look ok, others are utter crap. But, ya know, its not easy.

I posted my pictures on the Doom Armory website.

I hope to get better.

yellowmadness54 said:

First, can someone name a program other than GIMP, MS paint, and paint.NET?

Adobe Photoshop is about as good as it gets for things like this BUT it is extremely complex and there are a lot of things you would need to know to create usable sprites. Also, Phothoshop is very expensive. I own my own copy for business reasons but if you are willing to infringe on Adobe's copyright and aren't planning on making money off of your work than there should be no risk (financially or legally) in obtaining a copy.

I hesitated in recommending Photoshop because it has a steep learning curve. There are so many options and hidden options and hidden menus and hidden sub-menus that it is easy to forget what you have just learned. There are also a lot of things that might not make sense without extensive experience.

Good luck on the search.

yellowmadness54 said:

GIMP doesnt have a line tool, which I need.

Yes it does. Use the shift key along with the brush, pen, eraser or spray tools. In each case, it will make them work in line mode.

Gez said:

Yes it does. Use the shift key along with the brush, pen, eraser or spray tools. In each case, it will make them work in line mode.

Yeah... wait... Why did I just recommend Photoshop. Gimp should have everything you need.

Gez said:

Gez, you have to be the most useful person I have ever met.

Is there a question you haven't helped me on?

And to the guy who mentioned photo-shop, yeah I have it already, but it DESTROYS my computer when I run it. Takes hours for it to both turn on and close out.

Plus I doubt I'd be good with it.

yellowmadness54 said:

Gez, you have to be the most useful person I have ever met.

Is there a question you haven't helped me on?

And to the guy who mentioned photo-shop, yeah I have it already, but it DESTROYS my computer when I run it. Takes hours for it to both turn on and close out.

Plus I doubt I'd be good with it.

Heh! Well then, I recommend you stay away from Photoshop. Maybe even uninstall it from your computer. Besides, gimp will do the trick.

NiuHaka said:

Heh! Well then, I recommend you stay away from Photoshop. Maybe even uninstall it from your computer. Besides, gimp will do the trick.

i'll give GIMP a go again.

But there is another thing I cant stand about GIMP...the lack of MSpaints style colour pallette! I DONT LIKE CUSTOM COLERZ!

Its too hard. I make the background light blue, but XWE doesnt consider it as transparent.

yellowmadness54 said:

i'll give GIMP a go again.

But there is another thing I cant stand about GIMP...the lack of MSpaints style colour pallette! I DONT LIKE CUSTOM COLERZ!

Its too hard. I make the background light blue, but XWE doesnt consider it as transparent.

That is because it needs the Doom pallet. One easy way to do this is to open an existing Doom sprite which has the Doom pallet and then just delete that image and manipulate it to your liking. That way you only have the doom colors to choose from. Not sure how well this works in gimp but you could try it.

NiuHaka said:

That is because it needs the Doom pallet. One easy way to do this is to open an existing Doom sprite which has the Doom pallet and then just delete that image and manipulate it to your liking. That way you only have the doom colors to choose from. Not sure how well this works in gimp but you could try it.

alright, makes since thanks...

you know, I made really good sprite rips of some wolf mod weapons. I have to ask him if I can post them up.

yellowmadness54 said:

alright, makes since thanks...

you know, I made really good sprite rips of some wolf mod weapons. I have to ask him if I can post them up.

It's too bad your computer doesn't like Photoshop because I could show you how to save the doom pallet and use it as your color swatch for anything you are working on.

Why don't you scan it and give it the background and eddit what you want in paint?

It shouldn't be hard

NiuHaka said:

It's too bad your computer doesn't like Photoshop because I could show you how to save the doom pallet and use it as your color swatch for anything you are working on.

You can find palette files for the GIMP here.

you just have info for everything, don't you, Gez? i didn't know that about the shift key.

@yellowmadness54: go with gimp. it's free, it's simpler, it runs faster, and it's just plain BETTER.