Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Partial Strife "atlas"

I started making this just to see how the world of Strife is laid out:

http://eternity.mancubus.net/pics/strife_big_map.jpg

It starts out somewhat sane but gets messed up pretty fast. The final hub area branching off the commons is so messed up I couldn't add it. At one point on the map at *least* four levels would be overlapping - the sewers, the mines, the castle, and the training facility... possibly more too since I didn't get around to laying out the factory maps.

Maybe I'll do the final hub as a separate map.

Interesting. In some cases I would rationalize it as the map being on a separate level from the other maps (like the sewers actually being under another map you played in.) But of course this can't be used for every map.

Its understandable why it was done like this though. It would have been a lot of work to be consistently mindful of the geometry of pre-existing maps, for the sake of something most people probably wouldn't care to notice anyways.

Impie said:

I don't want to think about how long this must've taken to make....

All evening :P I was tired of working on code, as I've had my head stuck in the sand that is the Strife disassembly for the last week x_x I can't say working on the graphic was very relaxing though, due to an odd quirk in Doom Builder 2 - its scaling code is not numerically stable, so 9% scale is not always 9% scale. Every time you look at a map at a given scale level, the size of what you are looking at is slightly different.

I would consider this a glitch, honestly.

And here I thought this was supposed to be an 'actual' atlas of the Strife world...

Bit of a letdown there, but anyways, the map look pretty nice. It must've taken quite some time to make.

What we need is choco-strife-gl (so we can look straight down), and roughly 75,143 screenshots.

Here's the final hub, which, as I hinted previously, makes the least geometric sense, even when restricted only to maps in that hub. I just went ahead and separated out most of the maps that aren't obviously meant to be entirely underground, for the sake of being able to even see most of them at all ;)

http://eternity.mancubus.net/pics/strife_last_hub.jpg

Thats pretty cool Quasar. I've always imagine that Strife as one humongous map instead of 30+ maps the way they are connected :)