Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Tom Hall's DOOM

So, I was looking over the various Doom alphas and betas as well as the DOOM bible (I didn't read it in full detail, I just glanced over it) and I hatched a new braincell. Tom was not really very happy at all with how doom turned out and his ideas for doom didn't fit the style the rest of the id team had.

So, what if we could even both sides out and put together a WAD that tells/interprets the story of DOOM, Tom Hall's way?

The DOOM bible can be found here:

http://5years.doomworld.com/doombible/

Well guys, whadda ya think? Yay or nay?

Well, I'm definitely late aren't I? I'll play that map and see if I can make any counter-statements...

Edit:

Even though it wasn't finished, that was like...Eww IMO

We can do better than that.

Why? What's wrong with it? How would you do better?

You'll need to convince us that this would be worth doing. Otherwise, I'd personally let the one who's actively working on it continue his.

Marnetmar said:

Well, it's ZDOOM for one...

The author wanted at a moment to make his own version of the executable, but was probably convinced not to. Due to Doom's modding trend, forking your own port for your own mod is ill-advised, because it will no longer be updated to keep up with the times (OS change most noticeably).

In Rise of the Tria, Tom Hall was able to implement a number of ideas that he had for Doom (and a few other, wackier, ones). So I guess that "Tom Hall's Doom" would have been some sort of cross between the two games.

I just thought, has anyone ever asked Tom Hall to make a WAD based on his vision of Doom? Actually in general I kind of wish that the team came back to make a PWAD for fun...

TrueDude said:

I kind of wish that the team came back to make a PWAD for fun...

John Romero might make a map for DTWID, but chances are he's lost interest in it since he hasn't posted in like a month.

Marnetmar said:

John Romero might make a map for DTWID, but chances are he's lost interest in it since he hasn't posted in like a month.

I don't think he said anything about contributing a map, although it'd be great to see what new designs he could come up with.

Yay

This sounds like a cool idea, I'm interested to see how this can turn out. Maybe the levels could be made similar to tom's style, IE flat, realistic, lots of secrets... etc.