Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Hexen : Curse of the demon lord. (A sequel)

Good luck with university man, that, along with the real life "Mickey Mouse" drama I'm going through is kicking my ass too hehe. I'm sure this will get finished at some point though, so I'll be waiting patiently. :P

This week I've had a fair bit of free time during the evenings and I've spent a lot of it working on this mod. It's been a rather slow process though. Mostly been polishing of previous areas and such. But there's been a bit of more actual layout progress as well. So, to commemorate this momentous occasion. Here's a screenshot of the area I just (mostly) built today.

http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110107_003024.png

Shot is taken in GZDoom btw.

It's gonna be changed to a bluish hue once I figure out how to do that in GZdoom. (It's already blueish by virtue of colormap in software ports)

Yes, definitely. The first map's game play is basically a crash course in using the inventory for people, to make it very clear that they will need to work the inventory to survive. You get only start weapons and artifacts to work with.

Check out the YT vid earlier in the thread where you can see some game play from map01. The game play will vary between the maps though. You won't have to play that defensively the whole episode. By the end you will be quite powerful.

Yeah. It's ranged now (tested and working in HexenP, Zdoom, Vavoom and Doomsday). Though it's possible that I might retweak it as time goes on. We'll see when I get more game play to work with.

Last post I meant to say. It's LIMITED range now.

Anyway. I've been toiling away at the third map of this thing. It's not going fast though. But, I'm getting fairly certain that I am not going to be able to do this without using HUBs. So, the maps will likely be using hubs. But not in the way that Hexen did, but it'll be just to allow it being a very large map. The transitions will be more seamless than in Hexen.

kristus said:

Last post I meant to say. It's LIMITED range now.

Anyway. I've been toiling away at the third map of this thing. It's not going fast though. But, I'm getting fairly certain that I am not going to be able to do this without using HUBs. So, the maps will likely be using hubs. But not in the way that Hexen did, but it'll be just to allow it being a very large map. The transitions will be more seamless than in Hexen.

Nice to hear you're finding time. :) Yeah, Hexen's biggest flaw for me was the game limiting the hub transitions to very forced feeling portals.

Well. That was part of the world of Hexen more than anything. Even if it was also in due to current technological limits. The maps in hexen are relatively small and the hubs wasn't truly necessary. It was more to create a sense of the adventure spanning a huge world. Also I believe it was because of the questing. Making things more clear.

Anyway. I'm using the same method to differentiate the different "maps". I might still not use this though. it depends on if I decide to stick with HexenP support. Last time I tested the first map in HexenP There were so many Mobjs in action that it slowed down the game. And that was just the first map. Map03 should probably work better. But I had intended to make rather epic battlefields later on. So it's possible I might have to drop HexenP simply because it's not gonna be able to play it at a reasonable speed.

Today when I was working on a puzzle for Map03 I decided that I needed someone to take a look at it and see how they experienced it. So I asked Khorus to take a gander, and we also decided that it might be a good idea to test it on a server so I could spec him while he ran around, that way we could also discuss things as he played.

Anyway, long story short. I took a bunch of screenshots of him running around there and I figured it might be fun for some of you to check them out. Let me remind you that this is a map that is very much in progress and there's very little in terms of monsters and game play on the map so far.

Khorus gets hypothermia.
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110214_210639.png
He ponders at what he is supposed to do with the puzzel.
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110214_210804.png
He gets interrupted.
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110214_210822.png
RAGEMAR.
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110214_210931.png
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110214_210932.png
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110214_210934.png
http://www.doglike.org/temp/Screenshot_Hexen_20110214_210935.png

Anyway, Goodnight.

YES. Finally I have finished the first map of this project. Map01 is now virtually complete. What is missing is basically some fine tuning and skill settings.

I just had a very exhilarating playthrough of it with the fighter and the adrenaline was fueling me throughout. Map02 is also very very close to completion. But it's going to have a rather different game play from map01 as it slows down and you're not given an as liberal ammount of health and artifacts. As the adventure goes on, you will experience both sides. Both of having and taking on legions, and not having... and taking on legions.

Nice to see progress. :)

Of course, if it's a Hexen hub, you can bring with you whatever artifact you've managed to spare.

It's not a hub. But Hexen never takes your artifacts away. Even when you cross between hubs. So you get to keep all of them regardless if you play the maps in succession. This of course can give quite a headache when you try to balance it. Especially since you can carry so many of each item, compared to Heretic.

So with recent development in mind I decided to make a new update adding rough map completion estimations.

Map status:
Map01: 98%
Map02: 90%
Map03: 50%
Map04: 10%
Map05: 0%
Map06: 15%
Map07: 20%
Map08: 0%

kristus said:

It's gonna be changed to a bluish hue once I figure out how to do that in GZdoom. (It's already blueish by virtue of colormap in software ports)

And what about JHexen?

HeXen appears to use an external fade map lump for fog: FOGMAP.

The MAPINFO lump contains a field allowing one to specify a fade map to use for each map.

While HeXen it'self only comes with one fade map, the afore mentioned FOGMAP, the lookup field in the Mapinfo lump suggests that it can support additional fade maps.

Hence a vanilla compat way of defining custom fog for each map maybe.

@Vermil: Yes indeed it can. I made my own blue fog map that I use in one of the maps (shown in shots above). Of course, as can be expected there do happen to be a few colormap glitches when this is used. But it's not really that big a deal IMO.

I know GZdoom got a way to set up a colored fog. I guess Doomsday do too but I'm not too concerned about these atm. Everyone can be rest assured that I am going to do what I can in all instances.

Tango said:

you have such a wonderful way with those faux arches.

:3

The Vanilla Hexen way is the only way you can get fog into JHeXen as it lacks the support for Doomsday's Map Info definitions, where one defines fog in Doomsday, that JDoom and JHeretic have (JHeXen is isolated from many of Doomsday's editing features, though that is planned to change).

That said, one can use Doomsday's in game fog controls in JHeXen; Doomsday allows one to edit fog in game in real time (though it doesn't save the results), which is a good way of testing what sort depth and colour of fog one wants for a map.

Type "fog" into the console to list all the commands.

So after being one of those people bogged down with IRL retardism for some time I'm finally finding myself working on this again. Map01 and 02 is largely complete. And Map03 is getting closer at something resembling an layout.

Most of the other maps are currently just scattered ideas without any grander scale plans which makes it currently slow progression on them. But I've had that before with other maps (Like Map2 and 3 of Curse.wad for instance)

Anyway. That is all for now.

kristus said:

So after being one of those people bogged down with IRL retardism for some time I'm finally finding myself working on this again. Map01 and 02 is largely complete. And Map03 is getting closer at something resembling an layout.

Most of the other maps are currently just scattered ideas without any grander scale plans which makes it currently slow progression on them. But I've had that before with other maps (Like Map2 and 3 of Curse.wad for instance)

Anyway. That is all for now.

Glad you're finding time, your WADs are the best!