Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Guitar Hero discontinued, Guitarists stop being threatened by plastic toys

What did guitar hero ever have to do with playing a real guitar?

I've never heard of anybody saying "Hey, this is so much more fun and/or skilful than playing an actual instrument". Except on that one episode of South Park. It's as silly as saying that anyone who is good at Dirt doesn't need to step inside a real rally car.

...Or am I underestimating the youth of today?

DoomUK said:

What did guitar hero ever have to do with playing a real guitar?

Precisely dick, but take a look at the comments on the article. It seems guitarists egos bruise so easily, they feel that goofing off on a plastic toy instrument somehow threatens music/the instrument/the artform. Or something.

Guitar Hero was awesome. Well, at least it was back in 2005 when it first came out on the PS2. Guitar Hero 2 was a nice step forward too. Then Harmonix, the company behind the first two titles, went on to make something on a whole 'nother level (Rock Band), and the Guitar Hero name got dumped in the lap of Neversoft, who proceeded to release game after game after game without really adding anything new or interesting. When the market is over-saturated with a bunch of music games that are virtually identical to one another aside from the track lists (guess nobody ever told them about downloadable content), it's no wonder the series got the axe.

Personally I'm interested to see what Harmonix does next. Rock Band 3 actually brough quite a bit of new stuff to the table, with the addition of a two-octave keyboard and the ability to play the game using an actual guitar (albeit having to be specially manufactured to work with the game, which is a necessary but unfortunate downside).

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to shoot some real zombies instead of playing lame video games like Doom.

I went to music school for guitar. I like the fact that the new Rock Band game allows you to use a real guitar. Personally, I suck at the plastic guitar, I'd rather show my real skill even in a game by using a real guitar. I used to just get frustrated cuz I couldn't play songs on the plastic guitar I could perform with no problem on a real guitar. It's just a matter of whether or not you want to shovel out 1200$ for a midi instrument. Also, I hope that the addition of the possibility to use real instruments gets more people interested in learning to play an instrument.

Guitar hero used to piss me off because it was all my friends would ever fucking play. It bored me to tears. I finally realized though that it was my friends who sucked, not the game.

So in other words, Rock Band just lost their competitor... Wow... Maybe this whole story is just a cover up about how dumbass Rock Band beat them out. Nice to see them mention Doom though, even though will probably make a face and just see Call of Duty.

This one was my favorite

Also, I can't find it but there was that commercial for some guitar store where the kid is playing guitar hero and Michael Angelo Batio I think it was, came and broke his guitar controller.

But yeah, I never understood why those guitar guys tell kids to learn a real guitar instead then sit and bitch about how all the new bands suck.

DoomUK said:

I've never heard of anybody saying "Hey, this is so much more fun and/or skilful than playing an actual instrument".

You haven't talked to the little shits I have. Playing a real guitar is "lame" or "uncool." And they HIGHLY criticize me playing keyboard. It gets frustrating to hear over and over and over again.

DoomUK said:

Except on that one episode of South Park.

It's funny that episode came to mind the instant I read up to the period in the previous sentence of your post.

PRIMEVAL said:

You haven't talked to the little shits I have. Playing a real guitar is "lame" or "uncool." And they HIGHLY criticize me playing keyboard. It gets frustrating to hear over and over and over again.

Why is it you care what anyone thinks of what you do?

Use3D said:

When you're constantly being bashed about it, practically up in your face, it gets real old, real fast. Like real life trolls, only no ban button. Luckily I don't really hear this stuff anymore.

AgentSpork said:

and the Guitar Hero name got dumped in the lap of Neversoft, who proceeded to release game after game after game without really adding anything new or interesting.

Actually, I think you can thank Activision for that. It's their marketing strategy.

Guitar Hero wasn't discontinued at all. The series just got renamed to Rock Band from the 3rd installment onward.

*shrug*

I've played guitar seriously for years before Guitar Hero came out. I liked playing the first one, played the second one a lot with friends in college, and was sick of it by the third. Surprised it actually made as far as it did. But they will milk anything as long is there is any sort of profit. What are they on for that awful movie Saw now, eight?

By the third Guitar Hero the only thing that irritated me was Dragonforce. The singer can't sing and the guitarists are mediocre - but you can probably say that about a lot of popular bands.

Use3D said:

Some people have these things called social interactions...you wouldn't understand

Guitar hero for me was limited the same way many games are limited - once you play all the songs, you've played all the songs. Of course I didn't master every single one on expert, because that would require playing the same two seconds over and over until I get it (which I only spent about 4 hours of play time doing...lol)

Anyway, I played a little of 1 and 2 and my parents bought 3 for me and my little brother. It got old pretty fast, I also didn't like some of the songs, further limiting the content that I would enjoy.

It was funny because my dad is a pretty fluent guitarist and he sucked so bad at GH. He also thought it was laughable that other people said it was a replacement for real guitar. Anyway, I'm a decent guitarist and I found that made the game easier

I never liked Guitar Hero. I like Rock Band, but only if I get to do vocals. Otherwise, the game just feels like a really frenetic game of Simon Says.

The article said:

According to gaming news website Gamesindustry.biz, Eric Hirschberg, chief executive of Activision, said of the decision: "We simply cannot make these games profitable based on current market and demands."

It is thought the principal reason behind the decision was the poor commercial performance of the franchise's sixth instalment Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock.

Fucking Bobby Kotick and his "every IP has to put out at least one game per year" strategy. That's what he fucking gets. He's saturated his own market and now Activision is drowning in it.

Then again, it's been my theory all along that he's actively trying to tank Activision so he can safely get away on his golden parachute when the company collapses in a tsunami of fail, fueled by an updraft of dirty stock trading.

Use3D said:

True story. Everything I do for fun is considered lame by most people. I don't give a shit. Haters gonna hate.

hobomaster22 said:

By the third Guitar Hero the only thing that irritated me was Dragonforce. The singer can't sing and the guitarists are mediocre - but you can probably say that about a lot of popular bands.

Fucking Dragonforce. "Oh Em Gee they are so awsome because they have the FASTEST GUITAR PLAYER EVER!!!1one". God damnit, MUSIC DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.

magicsofa said:

Some people have these things called social interactions...you wouldn't understand

Please enlighten me, fellow bottom-feeding forum dweller. Oh wait, don't you hang out with Hellbent? I guess everything you say is therefore stupid.

Use3D said:

don't you hang out with Hellbent?

Pic taken by Hellbent...I'm on the left

Wait, wasn't this thread about guitar hero?

Wow, nice shot. Those trees..why does winter look like a dirty cow fart here? What's Guitar Hero?

Technician, we talked about this, first you have to HAVE FRIENDS. Also no sweat, I was just trollin'.