Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiuHaka

Doom Sprites Animation Timing

Does anyone know of a database that contains the timing of each animation state of each monster in doom? (i.e., a Timesheet)

Download WhackEd2 and look under the states tab. It'll show everything. Not sure if such a table exists in some sort of text or database format though, so if you only need it for a reference, that should work out just fine.

EarthQuake said:

Download WhackEd2 and look under the states tab. It'll show everything. Not sure if such a table exists in some sort of text or database format though, so if you only need it for a reference, that should work out just fine.

Ok, I'll do that. And this shows the timing of each animation? I only ask because if I remember correctly in dehacked it didn't quite show real world timing. I could be wrong about that. I'm asking because I need the timing for animating my 3d models. I'd like to keep the timing of each animation as close to the default animations as possible. I'll use WhackEd2. Thanks.

Since you use Doomsday, go to "Data/JDoom" and open "JDoom.pk3".

Within, in "Defs/JDoom" you will find a file called "objects.ded",

It's a plain text file (i.e can be opened in Notepad) that defines all actors including "animation timing" (i.e state/frame lengths).

As Earthquake states; 35 tics equals 1 second.

Other ports have similar external files, but you've indicated in the past that you use Doomsday.

Take a look at INFO.C in the original Doom source distribution, for all your sprite exact timing needs.

As stated above:
35 = 1 second
0 = no time (used for multiple frames in the same tic)
-1 = infinite time (stays in this frame forever)

Just making sure I understand what I'm looking at in WhackED2. Let me know if I'm understanding it correctly.

The Zombieman has 32 tics in his walk cycle, 20 in his idle, 18 (not sure but it might be 26) in his attack, 3 in his pain, 20 in his death, and ∞ in his corpse?

Vermil said:

It's 26 in his attack states and 6 in his pain states.

Also 40 in his gib death.

Ok, good. I am getting it. Mostly.

Thanks for the help.