Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

Odds of recreating a TNT team?

Team TNT made TNT Evilution, sold like a storm.

what would the odds for making such a team today selling a super duper super super duper megawad to ID which in turn gets sold via steam or something?

I mean, they've resold DOOM to XBOX and everything, wouldnt it be POSSIBLE to do something like team TNT did Again?

D_GARG said:

I mean, they've resold DOOM to XBOX and everything, wouldnt it be POSSIBLE to do something like team TNT did Again?

Wasn't the market outcome of that initiative enough of an indication to you?

Whoo said:

Scroll down to TNT Evilution on this page:

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/infamous.php

Well that reaction is regarded as pure bullshit and gratuitous butthurt, in retrospect. And nobody complained about the XBLA Doom exclusive levels or the when Master Levels went "pro", right?

So, a -small- market for a Team TNT-like project may still exist, as long as the original Doom finds commercially exploitable niches. Which as of now, are mostly pay-on-demand gaming services like XBLA, maybe some portable consoles, or who knows, in the future, a browser version similar to Quake Live! or Jake2. However, I've received no indications of interest from id for Mocha Doom yet ;-)

... seem like Final Doom didnt hit the way it was suposed to.

why shouldnt ID throw in some extra 20 levels into DOOM series?
I think it would be a punch in the face for modern poor-effort-copied modern gaming industry, especially for Activision, would love the hear Robert Kotic groam over knowing that a 17 year old game beats his games IF that hit cameback would come throgh

An official expansion to classic Doom would never beat CoD, unless it wins over all the kids who play it.

Just imagine the shitstorm that would erupt in this community if Carmack approached e.g. Graf Zahl and told him "We want to make a commercial release using the very least OpenGL, be our bitch!" and then hired some GZDoom modders etc. and released some closed-source derivative of GZDoom and some commercial maps to go with it as "Doom: Reloaded".

Yup, I can almost hear the Wesley Willis music playin'....

D_GARG said:

what would the odds for making such a team today selling a super duper super super duper megawad to ID which in turn gets sold via steam or something?

Very poor odds if making money is the objective, it'd make more sense to develop expansions for a game that's at or near it's peak popularity.

GreyGhost said:

Very poor odds if making money is the objective, it'd make more sense to develop expansions for a game that's at or near it's peak popularity.

Exactly. They wouldn't even develop Doom 3 or Quake 4 mods anymore. Besides, anything you could ask from id for Doom, has been given for free be the community all these years.

Final Doom was somewhat of an anomaly (being a rehash of a 1994 game in 1996, very risky business even back then) but it had great value for money, and it was a fully standalone Doom II compatible game.

XBLA Doom II is also more of a peculiarity (and I'm sure that if someone discovers what engine it used, e.g. a prBoom derivative, they will call the prBoom team "sellouts" too).

It's just fun to fantasize about making lots of money off your favorite hobby.

So...D_GARG...How far along are you on this super duper super super duper money-making megawad? Hope it wins Game of the Year! :) heh

Wait! What if it was released exclusive to Mocha Doom?

InB4 the rest of the butthurt- SELLOUTS! LIARS! COMMIE BASTARDS!

<newproject tag Mk.2>
D_GARG, before you start recruiting a dream team for your super duper super super duper megawad, make sure you have something to show first (contracts, business plan, budget, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of moneymaking schemes that never got off the ground.
</newproject tag Mk.2> ;-)

Maes said:

XBLA Doom II is also more of a peculiarity (and I'm sure that if someone discovers what engine it used, e.g. a prBoom derivative, they will call the prBoom team "sellouts" too).

xttl has partially reversed the executable and it appears to be directly based on Linux Doom. I am pretty sure id tries to keep projects that receive their blessing legal, and no derivative of PrBoom(-Plus) can ever be closed source.

You can't just ask the current authors of the software for their own personal permission; the GPL simply doesn't work that way.

You must:

• Contact the current AND all previous direct contributors.
  • Contact persons who own copyright in any code taken from other projects.
  • Either contact the authors of any (L)GPL libraries used by the project, or remove the need for those libraries in one way or another.
Just as an example, if I were to try to offer a closed-source version of the Eternity Engine, I would need permissions for re-licensing from *at least* the following people/entities:
  • id Software (for both Doom and Quake II code)
  • Raven Software
  • Chi Hoang
  • Ty Halderman
  • Lee Killough
  • Jim Flynn (who may possibly not be alive any more)
  • Stan Gula
  • Rand Phares
  • Simon Howard
  • Stephen McGranahan
  • Joe Kennedy
  • Julian Aubourg
  • Martin Hedenfalk
  • Andrey Budko
  • Colin Phipps
  • Florian Schulze
There are also many lesser contributors who nevertheless could be considered copyright holders, such as Kate, Russel Rice, Yagisan, etc. In short it would be utterly impossible to secure documented consent from all of these people.

printz said:

Don't forget about releasing a sequence-terminating bug along with the pack, and no patch to fix it. That was real pathetic of TNT.WAD

Heh.

bytor said:

It's just fun to fantasize about making lots of money off your favorite hobby.

So...D_GARG...How far along are you on this super duper super super duper money-making megawad? Hope it wins Game of the Year! :) heh

personally, Anything to beat the shit out of Activision.

to make this: if DOOM, use a full 3d engine separate from any you find via the net today (example ZDOOM), not .wad format, heavily extended multiplayer options, DOOM structure style maps, no quickscoping 360 degree teabaging noobtubing camping mapcontroling semtex faggot bitch gameplay. throw in a pair of knuckledusters and full weapon spawn and a Q3griphook for extended movement.
and most important: dont run for a game of the year.

GreyGhost said:
<newproject tag Mk.2>
D_GARG, before you start recruiting a dream team for your super duper super super duper megawad, make sure you have something to show first (contracts, business plan, budget, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of moneymaking schemes that never got off the ground.
</newproject tag Mk.2> ;-)
[/B]

just asking the odds, how ever, Quake still rolls on and there's no wonder why CoD rolls even if it is a bitch game, they simply have Activision up their ass able to throw infinite amounts of cash to make whatever there is to increase its popularity and destrying classic games like StarCrafts gameplay AND its freaking storyline. yeah CS got boring so former CS plubers now do CoD cus its slow and similar.

didnt have a plan for launching a money gaining project anyway.

D_GARG said:

Quake still rolls on

Yeah, and yet another deathmatch-oriented online multiplayer game is what we've all been longing for when we ask for a Doom comeback. I mean, it was TOTALLY never done before or it hasn't been done "right" for the last 10 years.

D_GARG said:

to make this: if DOOM, use a full 3d engine separate from any you find via the net today (example ZDOOM), not .wad format, heavily extended multiplayer options, DOOM structure style maps, no quickscoping 360 degree teabaging noobtubing camping mapcontroling semtex faggot bitch gameplay. throw in a pair of knuckledusters and full weapon spawn and a Q3griphook for extended movement.

So essentially make a poor man's version of Quake 3/Live, only with Doom-like levels but NOT being Doom? Yeah, that surely will catch on and is what we all had in mind, right? Let alone that it will surely draw new fans to Doom, and what remains of the Doom community will totally embrace it.</sarcasm>

Sorry, but what you described sounds like a proprietary "doom like", deathmatch game that's neither doom or quake under the hood. You might as well call it Halo or UT2004 at this point.

D_GARG said:

to make this: if DOOM, use a full 3d engine separate from any you find via the net today (example ZDOOM), not .wad format, heavily extended multiplayer options

You're already asking for a development investment higher than what it would ever yield.

Gez said:

You're already asking for a development investment higher than what it would ever yield.

Let alone that the way he described it, he was essentially asking for a loosely Doom-themed online multiplayer shooter, which in the end would lead to all the usual teabagging/1337 n00bs/C4 whoring/CS subculture/Angry German Kids etc. and, surprise surprise, would be less Doom than Doom 3 was.

If anything, it would be cool to see a modern shooter replicating the original Doom's visual distortions and limitations to the degree possible with hardware acceleration, though, as D_GARG said, not necessarily by being a Doom compatible engine. I'm certain that, unconciously, that's what makes Doom so irresistible. Beef the effects up a bit, and you'd have an eerily different shooter game. Think of Max Payne's nursery nightmare level, but downscaled to playable levels.

Maes said:

Sorry, but what you described sounds like a proprietary "doom like", deathmatch game that's neither doom or quake under the hood. You might as well call it Halo or UT2004 at this point.

CG_FOV 130

is one of the things that made QL what it is now

any UT is Down because its too slow

Well, they might as well stick to Quake Live then, and release a "Classic Doom" deathmatch map set for it, no?

If we ignore the whole money-making part, is it likely, in this dya and age, that we could have a big mapping team with a fairly consistent membership that can be relied on to output major projects, like in the 90s? That's always what TeamTNT was to me, likewise a lot of the other teams from back then would probably fall into that sort of description.

Realistically, would that happen today? I think not, altough there is a group of consistent contributors to most community projects these days that may sort of qualify - particularly here on Doomworld.

Maes said:

Just imagine the shitstorm that would erupt in this community if Carmack approached e.g. Graf Zahl and told him "We want to make a commercial release using the very least OpenGL, be our bitch!" and then hired some GZDoom modders etc. and released some closed-source derivative of GZDoom and some commercial maps to go with it as "Doom: Reloaded".

Yup, I can almost hear the Wesley Willis music playin'....

I'm shivering already. That's downright frightening even to ponder about.

Quasar said:

• Jim Flynn (who may possibly not be alive any more)

What makes you say that? I've always wondered where a lot of these guys went (Memento Mori team, TeamTNT, etc.)

Well, I'm still around...a little older (not any wiser though). I still enjoy playing Doom...haven't had much time to actually work on my maps in progress. I have a 10 map project I'm working on (8 levels complete as of this writing), but being a single parent has made my time very restrictive...damnit!

If I can't get the time to finish the last two levels then I'll extensively test the eight maps I have done so far and get them released to the community.

I'm still a proud member of TeamTNT!

I think you should just let it be. TeamTNT members are still around and I don't think they would appreciate it if someone started a new TNT behind their backs.

I wanted to be on Team TNT so bad as a kid in the 90s that I ended up making my own team tnt. ud on top

Hmm...I was wondering.Is any old member of TNT still active on here,or anywhere at all?Or did they all disappear?And if so,why?

killer2 said:

Hmm...I was wondering.Is any old member of TNT still active on here,or anywhere at all?Or did they all disappear?And if so,why?

Read up like four replies