Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RobMcKay

Psx Doom Trivia....

Here's some trivia for you doomnuts on PSX Doom.

1. Why were the levels widened and the heights shortened, what was the technical reason for it?

2. Why was the Arch Vile taken out of the game?

3. Why is the framerate so poor compared to PC Doom when the PSX was more than capable of a better frame rate allbeit perhaps at a lower resolution?

4. Why were some new levels created to replace older ones for the game in the original ultimate doom episode, what was wrong with the originals?

5. Why were some of the Doom2 levels taken out?

6. Why did they not use the original Doom themes and sounds?

7. Why is up and down motion in the game (Door and Elevator Movement) so jerky in the game?

8. Who designed some of the awesome hidden levels such as "The Mansion" and the funky "Club Doom?"

9. Does PSX doom use a new doom game engine or an improved version for the coloured lighting, etc?

10. Although the psx used the original edited console levels, why were the textures still limited when the psx had room for all the original textures?

That should keep some of you busy for a while methinks.

1. Technical reasons - because of crappy programming, heights would slow the game down.

2. Dunno.

3. Because the programmers sucked.

4. Dunno.

5. Dunno.

6. Because they thought new ones would be better.

7. Poor programming.

8. Level designers.

9. Improved.

10. Because the people who made it were lazy.

1. Ya got me

2. Too many animation frames for the PSX's limited memory. Would have had to access the cd too much, causing pauses during the game.

3. The Doom engine has a lot of 8 and 16 bit code which the PSX's 32 bit processor is not efficient at running as proper 32 bit code. I guess the programmers were too lazy or didn't have enough time to convert all the code.

4. They probably wanted some new levels in the game to give owners of the PC version a reason of some kind to buy the game. To make it special or unique in some way.

5. Probably didn't run that well due to monster count, architecture etc.

6. See #4

7. See #3

8. Got me again.

9. Got me once again.

10. Again because of the PSX's limited memory. Using too many textures would mean too much disc access causing pauses and slowdown during the game. This is one area where the SNES version did better than the PSX (and all other console versions). Since it was cartrige based (rom), access times were a lot faster than cd access times. A wider variety of textures could be used (although at a lower resolution).

First of all, most of these problems would've been corrected if the game wasn't rushed, or if the programmers were too lazy. If PSX Doom were to come out today, it would kick serious ass with the tricks and skills PSX programmers have today. Heck, Quake 2 runs perfect on the PSX.

1. Doom is a first generation PSX game. The programmers simply didn't have the know-how to have the game run fast with extreme heights. This was fixed in Final Doom, but not completely.

2. Memory limitations. Also, being an early game, getting an enemy with the speed and large amount of frames would be tricky.

3. Early PSX game. Low memory. Lazy programmers.

4. These levels were replaced because the levels were ports of the Jaguar levels. The Jaguar couldn't handle large levels, crushing ceilings, etc. Don't know why some stages, like the Hell Keep were replaced, but it was for the better.

5. Don't know. Console ports are always missing levels. But seriously, can you complain about a console FPS with 59 levels?

6. Don't know. I love the PSX/N64 sounds better though.

7. Early PSX game. Lazy programmers.

8. No clue whatsoever.

9. I think the engine is slightly changed. However, colored lighting is part of the PSX's hardware coding. This is a reason why Doom and Descent on the PSX can do colored lighting so well. Same for the gradual dynamic lighting. Just taking advantage of the system.

10. Again, lazy programmers.

I was hoping you would reply elbryan42. Thanks for your answers guys you have once again impressed me with your knollege of all things doom. By the way the thought of Doom coming out for the PSX in these more advanced days is mouth watering but will never happen, which is a shame. Maybe in say 5-10 years time we will have psx roms and emulators like we have these days for the genesis and snes. Maybe someone will take the time to edit psx doom they way it could of been if the original programers had more time, albeit in emulator rom version. Well, we can dream. Would that be even possible? Anyway thanks alot guys.

Originally posted by RobMcKay
Here's some trivia for you doomnuts on PSX Doom.

1. Why were the levels widened and the heights shortened, what was the technical reason for it?

2. Why was the Arch Vile taken out of the game?

3. Why is the framerate so poor compared to PC Doom when the PSX was more than capable of a better frame rate allbeit perhaps at a lower resolution?

4. Why were some new levels created to replace older ones for the game in the original ultimate doom episode, what was wrong with the originals?

5. Why were some of the Doom2 levels taken out?

6. Why did they not use the original Doom themes and sounds?

7. Why is up and down motion in the game (Door and Elevator Movement) so jerky in the game?

8. Who designed some of the awesome hidden levels such as "The Mansion" and the funky "Club Doom?"

9. Does PSX doom use a new doom game engine or an improved version for the coloured lighting, etc?

10. Although the psx used the original edited console levels, why were the textures still limited when the psx had room for all the original textures?

That should keep some of you busy for a while methinks.

answer to #5: Because some people don't like doom2's levels! >:(

Originally posted by Fredrik
Doom2's levels are awesome damnit. I don't think that's why.

were you being sarcastic?

Doom64 is better than Doom PSX

IN THEORY it's better. However, the controller sucks, turning with the D-Pad is too slow (half as fast as the psx) and there's not that much levels. In other words, the graphics are better, the atmosphere is better, but it doesn't feel or play as well as the PSX version.

Hmm... a tc of Doom 64 you say? Wonder if one is being done???

/me points to my sig.

"IN THEORY it's better. However, the controller sucks, turning with the D-Pad is too slow (half as fast as the psx) and there's not that much levels. In other words, the graphics are better, the atmosphere is better, but it doesn't feel or play as well as the PSX version"

you don't use the stick don't you? DOOM64 levels are better than DOOM PSX

I've been trying to adapt to the analog stick. But it doesn't FEEL like Doom. Doom should either be digital or with a mouse, period. Not a joystick. Besides, the analog stick has a "floaty" feel to it.

The levels may be new, but some of them just don't compare to the classic levels.

Doesn't feel Doom? then DOOM PSX doesn't feel either like doom to the PC! The levels in Doom64 are better and your right! some levels are really bad bur most of them are better than those to the PS DOOM

Originally posted by elbryan42
Hmm... a tc of Doom 64 you say? Wonder if one is being done???

/me points to my sig.

I know, that's what I meant :P

The musics of PSX doom created a much better feeling than the ones in PC doom. I just wish someone would make those PSX doom levels to PC, i would do it myself if i'd still have PSX doom.

BTW, I have PSX Quake 2, and i don't really like it.

Originally posted by Zro
BTW, I have PSX Quake 2, and i don't really like it.

I donno, Quake 2 on PSX was fun in mulity player was fun.

PSX Quake 2 kicked N64 Quake 2's ass. A quarter of the memory, it ran smoother, had the hub levels, and multiplayer was more fun. The only good thing about the N64 Quake 2 was the hi-res graphics.

I'm guessing the vast majority of Doom PSX's problems are caused by poor memory allocation by the programmers and actual poor memory amount in the first place. The machine can't handle more than about 30 monsters on screen for instance.

However I do like it.

Yeah PSX Doom & N64 Doom are both good games in their own way.They have their strengths and weaknesses as already listed.I throughly enjoyed both BUT PC Dooms they're something else,a true class above.
Oh yep,I thought PSX Final Doom was great too!

That's just the problem, and multiplayer isn't fun with split-screen and only two players.

Elbrayan: If it helps, I found a control setup on Doom64 that IMO kicks ass.

Only problems is that it's a variant of the 'Turok kung fu' setup.

Here's the gist.

ATTACK: Z-Trigger
RUN: R-Trigger (Easy to hold here on the pad)
OPEN/USE: Also R-Trigger (Release, then press, a la Doom GBA)
Movement on the C-Buttons, a la the WASD setup on PC, and turning on the stick (I don't like back/forward motion on that thing, it feels - like you say - floaty).

For other things, STRAFE ON I just stick on the digital pad (Where I'll never use it) and the automap on the L-Trigger. Weapon up/down remain unchanged.

The downside to this setup is that I have to configure it EVERY TIME I play the game, but without it, I wouldn't have beat the game before now, as it really is the only setup that I had any amount of reasonable control over DoomGuy with.

Just, let me know what you think of this, unless of course, you're already using such a setup.

The problem with Doom64 is even if you're running, you move too slowly, and turning precision with the control stick is worse than with a mouse.

Originally posted by Fredrik
turning precision with the control stick is worse than with a mouse.

That's just not possible.