Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReedtheStrange

What's Your Favorite DOS Shooter?

Although Doom and Duke Nukem were awesome, I'm going to have to go with Blood. Yeah, larger monsters weren't as common, but to some degree, it made them more awesome to run into. The world felt a little bit more interactive. It somehow also somehow managed to be more difficult than Doom and Duke Nukem.

Since I've played Doom/Quake/Duke on modern source ports I've been finding it harder to play old FPS'. The controls and display for Blood are hard for me to adapt to. It's a shame because it is a fantastic game. I'd love to see it liberated like Doom or Duke has.

While Doom is my all time favorite for DOS, second place would probably be something like Powerslave (I just love his game for some reason). Blood is pretty decent, and Strife has an interesting RPG element which makes it appealing. HeXen is fun. Duke Nukem 3D is alright. Pig Cops are overpowerd in most cases and deal insane amounts of dmage. Blood enemies are similar. Still Blood's graphic content makes it very appealing to me.

Heretic has its place with Doom. Wolf 3D is legendary in every right, but gives me a head ache because of the brightness. Operation Body Count is a complete mess and I'm pretty sure I lost some IQ points playing through those horrible sewer levels.

Aliens Trilogy is pretty bad too, but better than OBC. Trilogy has some decent sound effects, and the explosions are neat. THe graphics are alright, but the Face Huggers were horribly pixelated and the level design was awful in every right. Quake has historic value, and seeing the zombies gib though is always pleasing. The weapons are rather lame though. Good level design though.

Dark Forces is a pretty good shooter in every right. While Mohc (the final boss) was a major dissapointment (On PSX anyways). The graphic style of all the Dark Troopers as well just didn't look right in most cases. A few of the weapons had contrasting art styles compared to everything else as well. The Dianogas though will always give me fine memories from being a kid. I usually played games at friends houses, usually Battlefront. But Dark FOrces (Or Jedi Knight) was the first FPS in my household. The Dianoga's scared me as a kid. I hated level three because of them. Becuase they scared me, and the ate ammo like a bitch.

I belive that concludes all the DOS Shooter I've played and my favorite one at top (other than Doom).

Clonehunter said:

Operation Body Count is a complete mess and I'm pretty sure I lost some IQ points playing through those horrible sewer levels.

I don't know how many people can play a FPS before Doom technology. I give Wolf and C7 a run and I find them downright tedious to play.

ReedtheStrange said:

Although Doom and Duke Nukem were awesome, I'm going to have to go with Blood. Yeah, larger monsters weren't as common, but to some degree, it made them more awesome to run into. The world felt a little bit more interactive. It somehow also somehow managed to be more difficult than Doom and Duke Nukem.

I agree, I absolutely loved blood.
the mood, violence, sound effects, dialouge, everything.

It reminds me alot of places down here, too.

This is the only game thats actually made me feel tense and actually scared.

However, I have played alot of DOS shooters, and every now and then I switch between a few.

I prefer, though, talking about games I hate.

Operation body bount- wolf3d with stupid map design and throw up every where. Just out right stopped playing it, never got passed sewers.

Duke3d- just got too boring or difficult to navigate through
Strife- i got lost too much
powerslave- just some parts were hard to take seriously and looked weird.
C8 (beta is downloadable) was nothing but a doom clone, no im not even kidding go play it, it is literally, a clone of doom!
ROTT- I never beat a level, I died mid way all the time. I ended up just skipping about with cool guns and recording my self playing.
super3Dnoahs ark- yay, a religous shooter (which is odd when doom comes to mind...)
HURL- what a joke.
wol3d- I dont hate wolfenstein, however I get sick playing it and its maze levels piss me off.
Quake- same with this one, just makes me absolute sick, drowsy, and the dark colors with bright orange and weird atmosphere just kill me eyes.

Quake. I remember the night I bought it, after playing the shit out of the shareware for however long. I discovered multiplayer that night and it blew my fucking mind. A few days later I found a server that operated somewhat near me and gave me decent ping, it was a 'runes' server and I loved the hell out of it and played on it for years. Doom aged better and has more lasting power, but quake was a shitload of fun back in the day.

Damn! I forgot RotT!

I say: The graphcs were actually pretty gppd. The actors looked nice, and the guns were all pretty neat. SOme levels though were a bit tedious, and I just got lost in level 6 I think. The rocket launchers are all pretty fun.

Gonna be a severe outlier here and say two games. One's obscure, the other's...REALLY obscure.

The first is CyberMage: Darklight Awakening, an Origin-developed FPS from the designer of the Wizardry games, played out as a superhero comic book. The engine is similar to System Shock, in that it allows rooms over rooms but only constructed from odd cube-like constructs. Weaponry is a mixture of melee weapons, guns, and your own super powers, and there's an economy system where you can buy and sell your arsenal, or waste all your money betting in the arena. Also has drivable vehicles.

The other, massively obscure game is Z.A.R., developed by Russian company Auric Vision. It was reputed to be more popular than Quake in its home country (any Russians able to confirm this?) and was also released in the States, in numbers limited enough that it's near impossible to find the English version, even on torrent sites. Its engine has voxel-based terrain and sprite-based weapons and enemies, and has you in a mech suit accomplishing various objectives. Ammo is surprisingly limited. The game supports all kinds of high-res modes, and unlike the Build-based games, they actually provide high-res weapon and HUD graphics to go with them, and there is even support for MMX-based processors to accelerate the graphics and provide even HIGHER resolutions. It looks very pretty.

For me its a tie between Blood and Doom II. Realms of the Haunting is high on my list so is Shadow Warrior. I also like Quake 1 a lot more then Quake 2. Quake 2 is a good game, but the medieval/darker theme of Quake 1 had me hooked right from the start.

Wait, I almost forgot Chasm: The Rift!

Alright so, for me it is like:

1. Doom
2. Chasm: The Rift
3. PowerSlave

Chasm had some pretty good graphics as I remember. A lot of "What the fuck!?" moments. Level design could've been better, but it was as fun as hell.

Clonehunter said:

Wait, I almost forgot Chasm: The Rift!

Alright so, for me it is like:

1. Doom
2. Chasm: The Rift
3. PowerSlave

Chasm had some pretty good graphics as I remember. A lot of "What the fuck!?" moments. Level design could've been better, but it was as fun as hell.

D:

how did quake, shadow warrior, blood, heretic, quake 2, wolfenstein all get dropped from the list? D:

I've never played Shadow Warropr. Quake 2 isn't even techincally a DOS game. Quake is not a favorite. Heretic is good but not in the top 3. Blood is OK, but not exactly amazing in any way. Wolfenstein is historical, but it loses its luster after awhile. Plus I've only played Spear of Destiney and Wolf3D shareware.

Hmm, unless by "shooter" you mean strictly FPS, then not counting Doom, I'm gonna have to go with Tyrian. Badass as hell, that one.

Clonehunter said:

I've never played Shadow Warropr. Quake 2 isn't even techincally a DOS game. Quake is not a favorite. Heretic is good but not in the top 3. Blood is OK, but not exactly amazing in any way. Wolfenstein is historical, but it loses its luster after awhile. Plus I've only played Spear of Destiney and Wolf3D shareware.

Oh I suggest spear of destiny 2 and 3. those are easily the best of the wolfensteins.

I have a few videos of them on youtube actually, before my lap top got a nasty virus...which was followed by my other PC's (the one with all my doom stuff D:) getting the "YooY" virus.