Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomGater

http://www.chocolate-doom.org offline?

Sourceforge recently updated their web hosting servers, it looks like the upgrade has broken the wiki. I'll look into it.

Thanks

Update:

I've started work on getting the wiki back up and running. The version of Mediawiki that I was using was 12 major revisions and 5 years out of date (it was Mediawiki 1.4, the latest revision is 1.16). I've installed the latest version and have started looking at how to migrate the data from the old database to it. The problem is that because it's such an old version, the database upgrade script fails to run.

Rest assured that nothing has been lost, I still have the full database with the complete history of every page, and all the images as well. It's just a matter of figuring out how to load the data into the new site.

fraggle said:

Update:

I've started work on getting the wiki back up and running. The version of Mediawiki that I was using was 12 major revisions and 5 years out of date (it was Mediawiki 1.4, the latest revision is 1.16). I've installed the latest version and have started looking at how to migrate the data from the old database to it. The problem is that because it's such an old version, the database upgrade script fails to run.

Rest assured that nothing has been lost, I still have the full database with the complete history of every page, and all the images as well. It's just a matter of figuring out how to load the data into the new site.

Sounds like you're running into some issues similar to ours. Doom Wiki's not importing properly, possibly because 1.16.x is creepingly incompatible with the MediaWikiDumper scripts and/or the Wikia database layout, which I fear they might be customizing, possibly just to make dumps break.

Quasar said:

I fear they might be customizing, possibly just to make dumps break.

Sounds unnecessarily paranoid to me. I really doubt it.

A semi-functional version of the site is now back up, and with a flashy new skin. There's still a load of stuff that I still have to fix, and I'd ask that people please not make any edits to the site at the moment, as they're likely to disappear while I work on perfecting my migration script.

fraggle said:

and with a flashy new skin

... Oh, it's just Vector. You scared me there.

I hear that Wikia have an attractive and popular skin that they use on their sites; maybe I should adopt that. What do you think? :-)

Images, category lookup and search are all now working. I think it's all there, unless anyone can point out anything that's still broken?

fraggle said:

I hear that Wikia have an attractive and popular skin that they use on their sites; maybe I should adopt that. What do you think? :-)

There's nothing wrong with the current skin, but that one you mention looks nice and refreshing. I'd definitely go for it.

Do you happen to have a download link for the skin? I've been using monaco for ages now and I can't stand it anymore.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I've installed a proper CAPTCHA extension and enabled anonymous editing, so you don't need an account to edit now. I'll see if it's enough to deter spammers; if it isn't then I'll turn the login requirement back on.

Speaking of logging in, I can't remember my password there, and using the email me a new password option gives me an error:

Login error
Error sending mail: mailer error

Thanks, the email configuration wasn't set right for the new wiki. Unfortunately Sourceforge's email server doesn't seem to be working right at the moment. I can reset your password for you if you tell me your username.