Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magnum Express

Sky Textures

I have only been able to use one sky texture from my Doom 2 WAD (F_SKY). I have other textures that I know are supposed to be domed, but they all appear flat when I'm testing my maps. Is there some sort of setting that will make them domed, or is there something else that I would have to do?

F_SKY isn't so much a sky texture as a placeholder that tells the game engine "apply the default sky texture for this map". If you want to use a different sky the usual approaches are to re-define the texture in TEXTURE1, nominate a different sky in a MAPINFO lump or use the (not particularly well documented) MBF Sky Transfer linedef action.

Create a MAPINFO. I extracted mine from DOOM2, imported it to my wad and edit it from there.

Create a new entry in XWE and named it 'MAPINFO', then go into Slade and extract the MAPINFO for Doom 2 (under LUMPS) and then replace the MAPINFO in your wad you just named with this one.

Then go into MAPINFO and you will see this for a map:

map MAP01 lookup "HUSTR_1"
{

next = "MAP02"
secretnext = "MAP32"
sky1 = "RSKY5"
cluster = 5
par = 60
music = "$MUSIC_RUNNIN"

Simply go to Sky and put in your sky.

You can put in any sky you like. Import pictures that have the correct size (in GZDOOM it goes blurry if its any bigger). Then go to the position co-odridinates under the task bar (it will be two empty white boxes under help) and put 0 and 0.

What I do is create a file and call it 'RSKY4, 5, 6 etc and simply change the mapinfo to have that name. Its as simple as that. I have many skies doing this, easy as pie. =)

Alphawolf said:

Create a MAPINFO. I extracted mine from DOOM2

Interesting, given that DOOM2.WAD does not contain any MAPINFO lump.

I created a MAPINFO entry in XWE and nominated another sky texture ect... but when I run the wad it tells me " 'things' not found in map01" even though I can clearly see it in XWE. What am I doing wrong here? the MAPINFO file is listed before MAP01, does this have anything to do with it?

Are all the map lumps in the correct order? You didn't, say, create the MAPINFO between "MAP01" and "THINGS" did you? You need to put it before (above) the MAPXX marker or after (below) the BLOCKMAP/BEHAVIOR lump for that map. Break the order of these map lumps, and you break the map.

The correct order:

MAP01
THINGS
LINEDEFS
SIDEDEFS
VERTEXES
SEGS
SSECTORS
NODES
SECTORS
REJECT
BLOCKMAP
BEHAVIOR (additional lump for Hexen-format maps only)

another question... where can I find a list of entries, and their purposes, and if I wanted to make my own TITLEPIC; how do I import it into XWE and what size should it be?

funeraldoom said:

another question... where can I find a list of entries, and their purposes, and if I wanted to make my own TITLEPIC; how do I import it into XWE and what size should it be?

On the ZDoom wiki.
Lumps/special lumps
Supported image formats
Standard TITLEPIC are 320x200; but ZDoom can resize whatever you give it, so you can use a 1200x960 trucolor image without problem.

Though if you do use a large image or one with colors outside the Doom palette, save it as a PNG and import it as raw data. Do not let XWE convert it to Doom format as it'll destroy the colors and increase the file size.

And finally, yes, it's possible to change the sounds. See the supported sound formats and SNDINFO and SNDSEQ lumps.