Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

Megamur said:

I'd also like to contribute to this project and have started work on a map. However, I'm uncertain whether TNT2 is still active. There hasn't been any posts in this thread for months, there's never really been any activity at the TNT2 forums, and all of my messages--from two different addresses--to the TNT2 e-mail have bounced back. Is anybody there?

TNT 2 is yet again in an inactive phase, since both of the main mappers (Me and alter) have a lot of stuff going on. The email has gone down before, so I'm probably just going to end up having all questions be sent to me by PM. Feel free to make a map and send it to me; we need all the help we can get. I'll send you the resource wad once I see how well you can make maps in vanilla.

I'm currently working slowly on another map. I just need to finish a few more areas so that I can have a decent set of screenshots.

Alphawolf said:

It's a great idea I'm wondering what's going on with the project. I'd be more than happy to help with making maps.

See above.

Excellent! Progress is coming along a bit slowly, since I'm thinking up ideas as I'm going along, but it's, hopefully, well on its way to seeing completion. It's an original map, not a sequel to anything from Evilution, although it borrows inspiration from some of its underground maps, like Lunar Mining Project and Quarry, with a dash of Ballistyx and Deepest Reaches. I suppose it can be converted to a more hellish theme if you've got too many tech/cave maps already.

The Lag said:

Evolution + evil = Evilution
So, using the same formula:
de-evolution + devil = devilution? Just my 2c about the name.
Other than that, everything looks swell.

posted on: 08-12-10 15:40

:P
now that i think of it though, it does kinda suit a prequal better.

Whoo said:

TNT 2 is yet again in an inactive phase, since both of the main mappers (Me and alter) have a lot of stuff going on. The email has gone down before, so I'm probably just going to end up having all questions be sent to me by PM. Feel free to make a map and send it to me; we need all the help we can get. I'll send you the resource wad once I see how well you can make maps in vanilla.

Yeah, I am busy because the school got much more intensive so it's normal for me nowadays to write 3 essays weekly and stuff. And all the free time I get, I spend it on Saturnus (a TC in progress you can look up on WIP). I don't know when I will be active again in TNT2, maybe in April considering lots of teachers will be busy doing final exams for final year's students. April is the earliest month of possible activity for me, if not April, then it's June. We will see. I can't really promise anything considering everything for me right now, is one big unknown probability containing unknown events.

I hope my submission that I sent to the forums wasn't forgotten about, since I no longer have a copy of the Map07 I created. And since I finally got back to the TNT2 forums (after a HDD format and being losered, I could not get back on) I plan on continuing my work on the project.

EmZee712 said:

I hope my submission that I sent to the forums wasn't forgotten about, since I no longer have a copy of the Map07 I created. And since I finally got back to the TNT2 forums (after a HDD format and being losered, I could not get back on) I plan on continuing my work on the project.

Unless your map file got corrupted, I should still have it on my computer. As per usual just work on the map and post updates when you can.

If you want another MIDI composer for a song or two I can assist.
If you decide upon this, I'd need to get a feel for the single map you desire and then I'd make the MIDI and send it to you (assuming you don't want something general). If you don't like the creation, you can reject it outright. I assume that's the standard though?

I know you've got 3 composers, but I figure it's never harmful to ask -- worst is a 'no' :)

Or if you want someone to add detail to maps or brush up some stuff I've been using DB/DB2 for many many years.

More MIDI composers would be great, I'd think. If the songs aren't custom-built for specific maps, I'm hoping the map designers can at least have access to a pool of composed MIDIs and select which they'd prefer for their level. I'm not really counting on that. It'd just be neat. Though I'm aware it could cause complications if, say, four different mappers all picked the same song for one of their levels.

Chrispaks said:

If you want another MIDI composer for a song or two I can assist.
If you decide upon this, I'd need to get a feel for the single map you desire and then I'd make the MIDI and send it to you (assuming you don't want something general). If you don't like the creation, you can reject it outright. I assume that's the standard though?

I know you've got 3 composers, but I figure it's never harmful to ask -- worst is a 'no' :)

Or if you want someone to add detail to maps or brush up some stuff I've been using DB/DB2 for many many years.

You can go on the contributor list, but MIDI composing isn't really the focus right now. You're free to do what Megamur suggested, or I can give you one of the completed maps. I will however need a sample of one of your MIDIs. And as far as the detail comment, we don't really need that right now. All we need now are people to start building maps.

I might join, but my prboom is glitching and i tried everything including reinstalling so until that gets fixed.... :/

Rambosee said:

I might join, but my prboom is glitching and i tried everything including reinstalling so until that gets fixed.... :/

Well, you have to make sure your map is Chocolate Doom-compatible, so you might want to try out that source port instead.

Also, looking back at the screenshots already available for TNT2 levels, I'm starting to worry that not only does my map look nothing like TNT, but it's also ugly in general. But, oh well. Tweaking can be done, hopefully.

Megamur said:

Also, looking back at the screenshots already available for TNT2 levels, I'm starting to worry that not only does my map look nothing like TNT, but it's also ugly in general.

Sounds like it looks like TNT to me.

Megamur said:

So TNT looks nothing like TNT?

No. The original TNT had a few (very)bad looking maps, which is one of the reasons some people dislike it so much. These maps also were usually a pain to play, as they were giant maps for a single person to play.

Examples of these bad-looking, poorly-playing maps? Maybe I'm turning to the wrong levels for inspiration... Or maybe I'm just keeping up with tradition by making a big, ugly map for you. :)

Heh, to me TNT seems like huge maps with a constant metal feeling for the visuals and those whitch didn't have that instead had metal soundtracks. And confusing maps for the most part.

Megamur said:

Examples of these bad-looking, poorly-playing maps?

MAP08, MAP20-22, MAP25, and MAP27. Maybe a few others, give or take, but those are the clearest offenders.

It's easy to forget that TNT had a number of really good-looking ones, too, of which MAP01, MAP13, MAP18-19, and MAP28 stand out the most to me. Also MAP04 for atmosphere and execution, and a few others (e.g. MAP14 & MAP15) for having cool layouts / design.

Megamur said:

I think we've got the name settled. Let's work on getting the maps done, huh? :)

i was just pointing out that i suggested the name a long time ago :P

Xaser said:

MAP08, MAP20-22, MAP25, and MAP27. Maybe a few others, give or take, but those are the clearest offenders.

It's easy to forget that TNT had a number of really good-looking ones, too, of which MAP01, MAP13, MAP18-19, and MAP28 stand out the most to me. Also MAP04 for atmosphere and execution, and a few others (e.g. MAP14 & MAP15) for having cool layouts / design.

MAP27 is considered bad? ...Well, yes, I suppose any level with a lengthy sludge maze is asking for trouble, though the outdoor area that causes visplane errors is kinda cool. :)

I also liked MAP20, as well, though I admit the awesome music influences that a lot. It does feature a lot of very large, empty tunnels, though, and some backtracking that isn't terribly intuitive.

Megamur said:

MAP27 is considered bad?

Rectangles.

Megamur said:
I also liked MAP20, as well, though I admit the awesome music influences that a lot.[/B]

Actually, I do find that one kinda fun myself, though it's still butt-ugly in several parts. I suppose it doesn't help that the barbed wire texture looks like it's had its palette butchered. :P

Xaser said:

Rectangles.

I try to avoid overusing those in maps, yes. I mean, the DOOM engine was revolutionary for how all of its walls weren't fixed at 90-degree angles, and you're going to make a map that's a bunch of rectangles? For shame!

I'm working on a map titled, "Anubis" which will hopefully fit well for an egyptian-themed map. Progress started last week but halted for personal reasons, but I am now working on the map again, so hopefully there will be screens to post later.

Xaser said:
Rectangles.

So if you played an awesome map and decided to see what it looks like in the editor, and you saw a bunch of rectangles, would you hate it?

valkiriforce said:

So if you played an awesome map and decided to see what it looks like in the editor, and you saw a bunch of rectangles, would you hate it?

Absolutely. I'd immediately throw it into the garbage can and

...FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU~

Actually, to elaborate a bit more, it's less the shape than how they're used. It feels like a bunch of boxy rooms strung together by boxy hallways, and yeah, the nukage maze certainly doesn't help with things. For the record, it's not the 90-degree angles that make it troublesome on the eyes -- MAP25 is similarly ugly even though it has plenty of curves. That and I found the gameplay really frustrating the last time I played it, though to be fair I should probably run through it again to make sure it wasn't just my lack of skill resulting in my lack of health. :P

A couple screens to keep you busy, just so you know I'm still working on this. Been busy with other things lately, but hopefully I can post more soon.

Hi
I know I posted here before but I didn't make any progress. I still don't see this project is going fast and still it doesn't have a deadline. I'd like to join, but not now, after I finish my CC4 map, it is hard to focus on two maps.

valkiriforce said:

I'm assuming that you're working on MAP31, hence the pyramid, but keep TNT's level design in mind and try not to sway too much towards Plutonia.

C30N9 said:
Hi
I know I posted here before but I didn't make any progress. I still don't see this project is going fast and still it doesn't have a deadline. I'd like to join, but not now, after I finish my CC4 map, it is hard to focus on two maps.

There is no deadline, as you said, so send me a test map whenever you have time.

I have an abandoned project that contains 2 maps for Doom II, the difficulty is fine for TNT, the second map may fit MAP01.

You can take MAP01 as a test map and take MAP02 as a map for the project. Both has a TECHBASE theme so that won't be a problem. In the difficulty way, it has Hell knights plus a Pain Elemental unless that is too much.

Agree?