Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

another DOOM 4 thread

I really am hoping this game does turn out well.

But instead of making another (what you wanna see) thread, how about a "what I dont want to see"

I'd have to say (as well alot of others, apperently) the darkness has to go. I didn't mind it much in DOOM 3 only because I expected it.

However after playing through RoE again, I really got bored quick and eventually got motion sickness do to the dark/redness.

And also the closed in corridor maps. It built up tension, but there is no way anyone would build any kind of base that looks like that and that upclose and dangerous.

I really dont want to see any new weapons ( IE sniper rofls, SMGs, throwing knifes) except for ones that are alot more traditional to doom ( pistols, machine guns, RLs, laza guns, etc)

And I'd HATE for it to have some sort of Iron Site system. Iron sites would not mix with doom. It'd just be weird.

Same with sprinting animations other than your gun bobbing faster.
Ever sense crysis and other PC games introduced that form of sprinting where the gun is pointed down, EVERY SINGLE GAME AFTER it did. Its so repetetive. Its like every game now is copying the other before it.

I'd also hate the "monsters dissolve when killed" stuff.

And I dont want DOOM 4 to have a scary feel to it, but more of an actiony BA feel mixed with small bits of humor and some 80's-90's metal music.

I don't want it even MADE unless Trent Reznor is making ALL of the sounds(guns, demons, music, everything)

It should have a well balanced mix of action and horror, like the original doom. Fighting six spectres in a dark room with the disgruntled grunting of an Arch-Vile is something that would make me shit in my pants.

yellowmadness54 said:

Ever sense crysis and other PC games introduced that form of sprinting where the gun is pointed down, EVERY SINGLE GAME AFTER it did. Its so repetetive. Its like every game now is copying the other before it.

Oh hey lets not use this cool feature from another game, it makes yellowmadness mad.

I feel Doom 4 should not be completely horror themed like doom 3 and mostly more fast paced and adrenaline filled like the classic games. If there are horror elements, I want them to be stuff that seriously fucks with your head instead of the cheap scares in Doom 3 where something pops out at you.

What I don't want to see... is a rehash of the original dooms with new graphics. There're already four PC IWADs and countless mods out there, and even graphical update mods. There's more than enough already available for a "classic doom" fix that we don't need another rehash of it.

I don't want the horror element (that's likely to return) to be as weak and half-assed as Doom 3. Proper horror! Psychological things, disturbing images, something other than jump scares. A proper horror FPS would be nice.

I don't want the darkness and such to be removed. If it gives you motion sickness, see a doctor and get some meds. Nothing in a game should give you motion sickness.

And again, I don't want to see the same old shit. Bring in some new stuff. Beating a dead horse is stupid. New weapons(ones with actual USE, fuck you Doom 3 grenades), new situations, new aiming system. Slight zoom in is terrible and should not be used. Either nothing at all or ironsights. (Yes, I know that's going to make people rage "hurr hurr u want liek cod", but guess what? That's how guns are aimed.)

Also

OR, maybe, they're, you know, copying how people tend to sprint with guns in real life? You do realize some ideas come from reality and not exclusively from other games, right?

I just noticed my thoughts on this are pretty much polar opposites of most of what everyone else is going to say. Cool, I guess.

First off, no that is not at all how you sprint with a gun. I'm not sure if you ever held a real gun, or tried running with it, but you keep it up straight or point it up while running. Pointing it down like that would be insanely uncomfertable and hard to get the gun back into place.

And also, motion sickness isn't some sort of disease, and plenty of games give it to people (IE wolfenstein, quake, ROTT, etc)
There aren't "meds" for it.

I'd really hate to see sprinting and iron sites. It wouldnt feel like doom at all.

And the darkness really doesn't need to return :(

yellowmadness54 said:

First off, no that is not at all how you sprint with a gun. I'm not sure if you ever held a real gun, or tried running with it, but you keep it up straight or point it up while running. Pointing it down like that would be insanely uncomfertable and hard to get the gun back into place.

And also, motion sickness isn't some sort of disease, and plenty of games give it to people (IE wolfenstein, quake, ROTT, etc)
There aren't "meds" for it.

I'd really hate to see sprinting and iron sites. It wouldnt feel like doom at all.

And the darkness really doesn't need to return :(

If I hadn't held a gun before, why would I bring up how it's done? Come on now.

And yes, there are medicines and treatments for motion sickness.

In case you haven't noticed, sprinting has been around in Doom since... Doom. It was in Doom 3 as well. Unless your idea of "feel like doom" is equal to "plays exactly the same as the original four IWADS to the T", I don't see how having a few modern features would ruin the experience.

There was plenty of darkness in the original IWADS and many PWADs for the classic games too. Only difference is Doom 3's was a fair bit more dynamic, and counter-able with the flashlight.

yellowmadness54 said:

Most likely because of steams rather bad community and constant bugs and it TAKES FOREVER to start up.

In that case why not just go out and buy the disc?

Marnetmar said:

In that case why not just go out and buy the disc?

From what I've seen, the disc just allows you to download the game via Steam in some way. I hear nothing good about Steam, so I would like to stay away from it. Just like I hear bad things about herpes.

PRIMEVAL said:

From what I've seen, the disc just allows you to download the game via Steam in some way. I hear nothing good about Steam, so I would like to stay away from it. Just like I hear bad things about herpes.

I mean actually going to a store, buying the game and installing it on your system.

Actually, Valve games and I think other games with Steamworks implemented into them require you to install Steam, even if you buy a retail version. Steam would be run whenever you play the game. I was ok with dealing with Steam for Valve games, but now if it becomes mandatory for many third party games available on Steam, that'll be annoying.

I don't know much about Steam, I've never used it, but it does seem like there's something wrong if a disc bought in a shop requires internet access to Steam to run.

I've used Steam for several years now, and in general, I rather like it. Being able to see what your friends are playing and being able to chat with them via the Steam client at any time is neat (heck, they can be in a game while you're not, and you can still chat). Though my favorite part is just being able to buy games and have them instantly; if they have something you want to play, a purchase and a few minutes of downloading later, and it's all yours. Steam also often has fantastic sale prices, too--the last 15 games I bought off there cost me a little over $52 US, all total.

Marnetmar said:

I mean actually going to a store, buying the game and installing it on your system.

As I said...the disc of the game just allows you to be able to download through Steam. For Civ V for example, you need to have Steam installed, need internet access, and actually DOWNLOAD the game (despite having the disc). Then, it needs internet access for first time playing. Sort of a hassle and rather stupid imo.

PRIMEVAL said:

I don't want it to be associated with Steam.

If they handle it like Battlefield Bad Company 2, it'll be perfectly fine. Offered on Steam, but doesn't remotely require it to be played.

Xeros612 said:

If they handle it like Battlefield Bad Company 2, it'll be perfectly fine. Offered on Steam, but doesn't remotely require it to be played.

I guess in that case, I can let it slide.

PRIMEVAL said:

As I said...the disc of the game just allows you to be able to download through Steam. For Civ V for example, you need to have Steam installed, need internet access, and actually DOWNLOAD the game (despite having the disc). Then, it needs internet access for first time playing. Sort of a hassle and rather stupid imo.

And that's only non Valve games. I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that if you have a Valve game running off Steam, you MUST have an internet connection to play it. If you don't, you aren't able to play the game. Another thing that I don't like about Steam is the fact that I can't give my brother a game because the CD key is a one time per use thing. He shouldn't have to go out and buy a whole other game when I have a perfectly good copy sitting right here.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

Another thing that I don't like about Steam is the fact that I can't give my brother a game because the CD key is a one time per use thing. He shouldn't have to go out and buy a whole other game when I have a perfectly good copy sitting right here.

That's why my 2 brothers and I all have the same Steam account for all the games we buy, but that eliminates any possibility of LAN or us playing multiplayer games together.

Doomhuntress said:

Eh, what?

Console gaming is generally looked down upon here in the Doom community. Especially of FPS console games.

phi108 said:

That's why my 2 brothers and I all have the same Steam account for all the games we buy, but that eliminates any possibility of LAN or us playing multiplayer games together.

That's actually not a bad idea, but like you said you can't use the LAN for multiplayer. We like trying to kill each other sometimes :P

imp1979 said:

I don't want it even MADE unless Trent Reznor is making ALL of the sounds(guns, demons, music, everything)

That would be FUCKING AWESOME. I really think Trent and Id need to work together more. I always thought it would be awesome if Id just hired him.