Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

RAGE Cave Troll ripped from LOTR?

If we start looking at similarities, I can identify the LOTR troll as a beefed-up ET, a ripoff of The Thing from the Fantastic Four and the list goes on and on. It's just a shapeless, towering brute, how much variety could the concept ever afford?

It's the eyes, mostly. TBH, I think it resembles the Shambler more than anything else, save for skin color.

Heh - RAGE's cave troll looks like it's spent the last week decomposing. It's also interesting to note that id don't consider a catastrophe that approaches global mass extinction proportions to be sufficient to rid the world of British soccer hooligans. :-)

The brow is completely different in its design. The cave troll has a lump, the rage mutant doesn't. The troll's eyes are in deeper sockets. The cave troll does not have a nose; if it has nostrils they're damn tiny and indistinguishable from the folds of its snout skin. The mutant does have a big gaping nosehole. The mouth shape is distinctly different, too; and the mutant seems to have two rows of teeth on its jaws, something the troll doesn't.

In other words: both have different designs and the only similarities are caused by the simple fact both are based on the "big dumb ogre brute" concept.

Danarchy said:

It's funny because it's true. Pic related.

All the travelling has been a big part both of "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" and it's a good reason why I love both series. And it's not like the action parts are in low quantity. There's always orcs/goblins to worry about.

printz said:

All the travelling has been a big part both of "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" and it's a good reason why I love both series. And it's not like the action parts are in low quantity. There's always orcs/goblins to worry about.

I actually loved all the "random encounters" and travelling in The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring. For some reason, the bullshit in Book 4 was really boring. Aside from the Oliphaunt, it was a lot of cataloging the flora and cooking taters. I usually stop reading about there.

Coopersville said:

Doom Cacodemon ripped from AD&D?

"The Beholder is among the most classic of all Dungeons & Dragons monsters, appearing in every edition of the game since 1975."

EDIT: pic removed