Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

Egyptian man names daughter "Facebook"

If they don't speak English and words "face" and "book" don't mean anything to them, this is completely understandable. I guess the north american custom of giving people names that have no meaning whatsoever is just WAY better.

I doubt it.

"Mrs. Facebook, do you take so and so as your Husband?"

*Snickers from all around, breaks into laughing*

"DAD I FUCKING HATE YOU!"

*Grabs gun and starts firing away*

Clonehunter said:

I doubt it.

"Mrs. Facebook, do you take so and so as your Husband?"

Add friend request?

AndrewB said:
I guess the north american custom of giving people names that have no meaning whatsoever is just WAY better.

I'm reminded of the countless individuals who (often drunkenly) tattoo themselves at some backwater skin parlour while abroad in Asia, only to discover when they arrive back home that what it actually means is not so much akin to "virtue" as it is to whale excrement or sodden porridge.

I mean, at least you can change your name. Changing a tattoo is a tad more difficult. Unless, you know, you're a big fan of The Merchant of Venice.

The article says:
...to name his newborn daughter "Facebook" to honor the social networking site he feels is partly responsible for commanding change.

...said he did it "to express his joy at the achievements made by the January 25 youth," reported Al-Ahram, one of Egypt’s most popular newspapers.

Facebook became a hub for the free transfer of information throughout Egypt during the recent revolution, acting as a catalyst for political change.

The name has a meaning to him. I wonder what the mother wanted the name to be. Will Facebook (the person) become an icon to the society?

A goddess is born.

AndrewB said:

If they don't speak English and words "face" and "book" don't mean anything to them

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes the sounds coincidentally have a meaning too. I don't know about the Egyptian dialects of Arab, but I know a language in which "Facebook" sounds like "Buttgoat", which is really not a name you'd want to give to your daughter.

AndrewB said:

this is completely understandable. I guess the north american custom of giving people names that have no meaning whatsoever is just WAY better.

People have named their kids Reebook or Pepsi-Cola in North America, so...

AndrewB said:

I guess the Ghetto custom of giving people names that have no meaning whatsoever is just WAY better.

Fixed that for you, Shaneesha.

AndrewB said:

I guess the north american custom of giving people names that have no meaning whatsoever is just WAY better.

My name means "beloved of God". My parents were atheists.

*shrug*

Gez said:

I thought only nomads do this.

It's really not any sadder than those albanians that named their children "Bill" and "Hillary" in reference to Clinton.

They organized their revolution over Facebook, I think that's a pretty good pedigree for a name. Like the German couple from the 90s who called their daughter Yahoo (lol)

I feel that naming a human being in the honor of a website diminishes the person itself. Same about fathers naming their sons after themselves, earning the child the suffix of Junior. I don't like condescending names.

Gez said:

The stupidest names do come from AMerica you know. Reminds of some girl named L-A. That's pronounced 'Ladasha'.

I dunno. It kinda works with the Arabic phonology. Facebook Maqbool. Facebook Mubarak. Facebook Obama. Facebook Muhammed. Etc.