Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

ZDaemon Switching Ports?

Nightfang, creator of the ZDaemon source port, has posted a thread on the forums with some news and a question. First, the news:

ZDaemon 1.0 is a complete re-write. New networe code, everything. Any part of the old csdoom will no longer exist in 1.0. Though, I've been thinking recently about changing to a new port or stay with the new ZDoom 1.23.

Nightfang would like to know if the new ZDaemon should continue to use ZDoom as a base, or instead move over to the more "pure" port of PrBoom. Post your thoughts in the comments, in the thread, or send them to Nightfang. Personally I would like to see it based on PrBoom, but what do I know.

pardon me for ideas of newness but how about a port that has support for external zip files as well as external wads... like quake3 with the pk3's... :D

Really it should be a mixture (eg. JDoom + ZDoom, PRBoom + Skulltag, Legacy + ZDoom + PRBoom) What i rekon is JDoom (With Chebpack) + Skulltag.

Check out my 1/2 Dun Mod @ doomith.cjb.net :D

A mixture? Some ports arent even the Doom engine anymore (eg. JDoom). Thats not gonna work...at all. Major compatibility issues there...

Most oldschoolers don't play the new wads. No doubt, it's hard to satisfy both the hardcore deathmatchers and the casual players. A PrBoom based client server Doom port would appeal to the oldschoolers that only play the older maps. They don't care about the new fatures. On the other hand, the average players don't give a damn about wallruns or correct weapon behaviour, they go for the good looking maps. The current ZDaemon version would still very well be playable on the 'net even if a PrBoom based version comes out (there's no need to shut down the master server or the current game servers). Besides that, there is still no stable ZDoom 1.23 AFAIK. An alternate game would not hurt anybody but give a chance to the oldschool players to play their game as they would like to.

I think PrBoom is pretty damn cool so I wouldn't mind seeing it switch, but then I only deathmatch very occasionally (cursed university firewall!)

Prboom would just feel so much more... solid.

Since it uses less features (no fog, slopes, etc) would the ping be improved, or is that just wishful thinking?

fuck that oldschoolers,fuck that old maps
doom must goto next...
If u wanna play oldschool goto LAN and play ORIGINAL FEATURED doom.exe 1.9

Originally posted by sharo
doom must goto next...

I sense a flamewar...

I think that zdoom 1.23 release is "fairly close" and vote that it be the base of at least one more zdaemon effort. I really appreciate the additional features of zdoom 1.23. Admitted that I don't know much about other ports, just used to play doom2.exe in the past. A few dm wads I really like (haha, mine) use zdoom features.

I wonder if Randy would ever accept coding a "Old School Mode" into Zdoom. That would please everyone, I think.

Or become a true DOOM god by making awesome online play for all the ports. That way no matter what game you play online with, they'll be using your stuff. Which by the way, rocks. I dunno, just an idea...

Or, in NightFang's case, make a small contribution to the port-of-choice he's gracing, and then proceed to ruin the experience for all.

To wit:

SmashDM: Fun for a while. Virus.
CSDoom: Fun for a while. Black CSDLauncher. (Hint: XDaemon = NightFang)
ZDaemon: Fun for a while. Then he wrote an auto-aim modification.

Zaldron: I've heard that Skulltag, which is of course based off of ZDoom, will have an old school mode in the next version (possibly even including HOMs and VPOs ;) ).

You're never going to get a decent 'old-school' mode with zdoom, zdoom's just fundamentally too far away from the doom base now. Personally i'd be all over a prboom version - and maybe, joy of joys, you could even port it to linux, then i could play the fricking thing in a non-broken operating system. shouldn't be too hard since prboom runs wonderfully on linux already and i can't see how networking code will be much different.

Originally posted by sharo
doom must goto next...

...right....

Well, how about that. Doom is going "next". It's called Doom 3. I don't know what you concider evolving, but it's something that EVERYONE should be a part of. So, if you don't mind, I say that Nightfang should both continue with the current Zdaemon, based off Zdoom, because Heretic and Hexen in a CS port is VERY important, their communities are starving and they are both very worthy games.. And I also think you should do one based off Prboom, because Zdoom is shitty for multiplayer doom. However, voting for both renders my opinion invalid, so I'm not voting.

Well zdeamon is great and all, if changing the port base, changes the gameplay and feel compleatly different then i dont like it, BWT will carny use this new rewriten code(the zdoom one) like he did with packet compression.

Originally posted by deathwarrior
name one major DM wad which has ZDoom features.

Boomtown

Originally posted by Waldon
Besides that, there is still no stable ZDoom 1.23 AFAIK.

• I made a comment about that in NightFang's thread; it should stay on 1.22 if it's on ZDoom
  • You know 1.23 is not final yet, right?
Pardon my newbieness, but...WTF is AFIAK short for?

"As Far As I know."

He was speculating, and not only that, his statement was true. Man, don't you feel like a jackass now?

What's the point of making a new ZDaemon version if the base is still ZDoom 1.22? I thought people wanted those slopes, etc. After a while, you just don't care about the eyecandy if you play DM regularly anyway (think about Q1/2/3), especially if it slows down the game.

The reason he wants 1.22 to be used is simply due to "beta prejudice", i.e. the notion that simply because something is a beta, it's unstable. v1.23 beta 33 is actually MORE stable than v1.22, which crashed several times on my system.

Okay, so v1.23 isn't "finished" yet, but then again, v1.22 isn't the "finished" version of ZDoom either (which we won't get until Randy gets bored or whatever). v1.23 beta 33 has everything v1.22 has, minus bugs, plus many more features (including much better DeHackEd support).

In theory, you could make a better DM level using ZDoom, because you could use scripts to get perfect control of every door and switch, down to the gametic and single unit, to make the deathmatch experience "perfect" ;)