Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coopersville

Serious Sam 3 Announced

I see it as well, although personally I would call it a bit more than an homage. :D

The article writer does not have any affinity with the understated:

Turns out it’s a prequel, shares the Egyptian setting of Serious Sam: The First Encounter and will feature up to 16 player co-op. 16! That said, the press release still doesn’t explain what BFE actually stands for. Big F**king Enemies? Battlefield Earth? I like the commenter over at PC Gamer who suggests “Budget FPS Entry”. Words and pictures follow…

Gee, it's a prequel? So it happens Before First Encounter? Yeah, no way to guess what BFE might mean.

And yes, it's totally a Mancubus homage.

I just read the comments in the linked article. Some people have come with interesting possibilities, mostly about boob jobs.

Looks fucking AMAZING. Here's hoping they learned from their Serious Sam HD mistakes and reimplemented the crazy altered gravity and similar quirks the originals had.

“Holy crap, I am going to make a boatload of cash of this game,” said Fork Parker, chief financial officer at Devolver Digital, the Serious Sam 3: BFE publisher. “I mean that’s what this is all about, right? If this thing comes out in the summer my wife is totally getting the tit job she’s been asking for.”

Serious Sam 3 will bring the boom to PC and game consoles this summer.

When asked for further comment, Fork replied, “Bam. Tit job.”

Hmm, your link gives me 500/502 gateway errors or something, but I found it via Google.

It looks amazing, it's a bit strange that Serious Sam looks 'serious' in those screenshots though, rather than cartoony. The Mancubus monster is probably a remake of those fat rocket launching things from the Second Encounter.

Also, it better have beheaded kamikazis.

hmmm... The press release says that it'll be released for consoles too (!!!)... I'd like to see how the 360 can handle a horde of Kamikazi and skeleton dudes with those graphics.

I hope your serious bombs don't get taken off you when you die like in Serious Sam 2, also not losing half your ammo would be a plus

First thing I thought when I saw that news post:
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..."

Technician said:

I couldn't stand the second game.

Not many people do. Personally the thing that annoyed me about it was that they tried to make it too damn silly, what with shit like the foot ball player orcs and the obnoxious civilians. The original enemies for serious sam had just the right level of sillyness and seriousness.

Very happy to see it's actually happening. I don't think Serious Sam 2 can hold a candle to FE and SE but I still enjoyed it more than most FPS games on the market these days.

Captain Toenail said:

Hmm, your link gives me 500/502 gateway errors or something, but I found it via Google.

It looks amazing, it's a bit strange that Serious Sam looks 'serious' in those screenshots though, rather than cartoony. The Mancubus monster is probably a remake of those fat rocket launching things from the Second Encounter.

Also, it better have beheaded kamikazis.

Serious Sam always looked serious. It was really only the xbox 1 port of TFE/TSE that had a cartoony look to it. EDIT: Maybe SS2 was as well, but I never really even saw anything of it.

hervoheebo said:

hmmm... The press release says that it'll be released for consoles too (!!!)... I'd like to see how the 360 can handle a horde of Kamikazi and skeleton dudes with those graphics.

The 360 handled the "HD" remakes of TFE/TSE well enough, and that was certainly a pretty good engine. Of course, dropping to DX9 and lowering quality of models, textures, effects, etc.

Even the HD updates were fairly dated, graphically. But far in advance of the originals, of course.

I Didn't get into Serious Sam 2, it missed a lot of the quality the first 2 chapters had. This new one looks pretty slick, I hope they recapture what made the first ones great.

Captain Toenail said:

The Mancubus monster is probably a remake of those fat rocket launching things from the Second Encounter.

What fat rocket launching things? The only thing that I recall that fired rockets from SS is the large Biomechanoids.. which look nothing like that.

I'm quite looking forward to this. SS2 was a bit of a disappointment, but I really enjoyed the HD versions of the first and second encounters despite the lack of the wacky physics in SE (hardly enough to break the purchase for me though seeing as it's not exactly a backbone part of the main gameplay). Sam is just a lot of fun to play. :)

AirRaid said:

What fat rocket launching things? The only thing that I recall that fired rockets from SS is the large Biomechanoids.. which look nothing like that.

They didn't look quite like the SS3 monsters here, but they were about the same height as the player and wielded two blue guns that fired a rocket at you and to your right iirc.

I always thought Zumb'uls were a reference to the Mancubus anyway, especially considering how one of the design goals of Serious Sam was to bring back Doom-like gameplay to modern FPS.

Also, even though Serious Sam's graphics in the original and HD remakes have been rather uncartoony, I also figured the general nonsensical world and monster design was always part of the joke of "Serious" Sam... and then of course you have the ads. Croteam quite obviously defies the typical serious FPS games (mostly gray/brown military games nowadays) with their own series.

And that's a damn good thing.

I never really connected those Zumb'ul things to the Mancubus. There were other comparisons that sprang to mind though. The Gnaar things looked pretty close to pinky demons.