Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

Another "Doom 3" mod suggestion

For those of you who don't remember or simply weren't around, I posted a suggestion about making a sort of "Doom 2" mod for the New Doom game when it's out.
Well guess what, I've got a new mod idea for the new Doom game.

As far as I know nobody has managed to do a Doom 64 mod for pc Doom, because of the complexity of some of Doom 64's maps. So how about making a Doom 64 mod for "Doom 3"?

It would be really cool! Doom64 is the best doom version out! But the monsters will be to detailed if they are going to look like theyr sprite cousins but ID Software will sue you if you do a DOOM64 mod

I haven't tried Doom 64 (I usually stay far away from consoles), but I find that the music sucks - just a bunch of ambient sounds thrown together so that it bears a slight resemblance to music.

It is possible that Doom 64's levels are cool, but I'll probably never know.

I don't care about creepiness in music if it doesn't have much melody to it - they could put ambient environmental sounds in the game to create creepiness instead.
I agree that Doom1's/Doom2's a bit too happy for today's standards but as listening music they're ok.

Hm, on another note: Why didn't they release a pc version of Doom 64?

Like most software companies these days, id seem to have adopted a real tight-ass copyright policy. They've shut down Quake mods based on Doom, even if those mods didn't use any Doom textures/sounds at all. I should know, I was part of Reborn before it was canned.

This basically means you can't do Doom 3 mods based on Doom, Doom II or any other id game without explicit permission of id.

Stupid copyright policies = Teh BAD

Apparently you guys don't look on any other sites BESDIES DW much.....
:P

I've already extracted all of da DOOM64 sounds, and am makin another sounds wad with updated BETTER ones Elby reextracted for me.....

Elbryan42 has already extracted da Doom64 music....

Elbryan42, Ghostpilot, and Kaiser are extractin da graphics and textures (Elby's sprites look perfect, while kaiser's textures look flawless, and ghostpilot's weapons and items look great)....

Lutarez and several other members have already made doom64 maps..

Ghostpilot has a doom64 mod on the IMMORAL CONDUCT page.....

I have a new palette for doom2 which allows for doom2, heretic, hexen and MANY doom64 graphics to be used WITHOUT any loss in color quality (except for doom64 ones... they lose a little to medium amount of quality due to converting an image from 1000's of colors, to between 10-20 colors)....

I ahve managed to adapt several monsters from Doom64 to doom2 with da new palette, and they look almost EXCATLY da same.....

And we are all workin on joining together and making a doom64 TC for DOOM2!

........... any questions?

P.S. don't bother warning me about how ID might shut it down.....

da_esco: How can you make a Doom 64 TC with the pc Doom engine? I remember having read that some of Doom 64's levels are way too complex for that.

About copyright: Yeah, now I think about it would make sense for id to shut a Doom 64 conversion down, since it would basically mean that you can download Doom 64 for free instead of buying the actual game.
This is why it kills me that they never released a pc version of Doom 64 - why the fuck didn't they do that? It should be possible with any post Quake1 tech.

Originally posted by dsm
This is why it kills me that they never released a pc version of Doom 64 - why the fuck didn't they do that? It should be possible with any post Quake1 tech.

Um, you answered your question with the question:

Doom 64

I rented Doom 64 out today and it doesn't look too complicated (well not enough to be able to port it over to the PC).

I would be glad to do something for this project...like make a map or something...

DSM: Hark, the intolerant freak speaketh! :P

Seriously though dawg.... it ain't hard at all. Da only things dat doom64 uses dat doom doesn't dat I can think of at da moment are:

ACS SCRIPTING: ZDOOM
Colored Lighting: ZDOOM
A new Weapon: Edge Scripting, Zdoom Doomscript (when released?)
New last Boss: SEE ABOVE
New IMP: Dehacked Patch(WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!)
Spectre: now fades invisible when players is sighted, and fades back in when killed. Not sure about how to do dis one, Edge scripting (?)
A few Room Over Rooms: Can use zdoom's INVISIBLE BRIDGE THING for most cases.
New "WARP IN" effect for spawned monsters: can just use spawn no fog for now (ZDOOM!)
A new Artifact: Once again, Edge Scripting, Zdoom Doomscript(?).

For da new artifact, monsters, and weapon, we could always find someone to edit da source port for these 3 or 4 things. Da rest of da stuff seems pretty simplistic to mah ass!

BAH! Right now, we is mostly focusing on gettin da graphics and textures.... we have da sounds and da music, so dat's da most important part left IMHO! As for adapting them to Doom... I may need to release my initial NEW PALETTE and then redo another one specifically for da Doom64 port.... it wouldn't be hard at all.

Like I said.... if it comes down to it, we could just get a programmer to edit da source port..... I'm sure there are a lot of peeps out there who could do dis!

By da way, da reason no body has done dis yet, is because of all the work involved.... gettin all da graphics, sounds, music, etc is a pain in da ass... TRUST ME! As for da maps.... I'm not too concerned with duplicatin them.... we could always just make all new original maps... I think it would be more interestin AND EASIER IMHO.

Mmnpsrsoskl: heh...... works for me! We could always use skilled mappers!

EDIT: I FORGOT SOMETHIN YA'LL! Doom64 apparently has some kinda special script so dat in certain areas different monsters WILL NOT FIGHT EACH OTHER! You can see it in Map28: the absolution (the final stage). No matter what you do in dis stage, the normal monsters (except Lost souls) will NOT fight each other!
But, if you get mother demon to appear with a lost soul still in da screen, she WILL attack it if it hits her, or vice versa! It's kinda neat to watch a monster shoot about 7 projectiles at another monster 1/4 it's size!

The Intolerant Freak thanketh the meister da_esco for his elaboration