Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

why is doom your favorite?

What makes DOOM so gosh darn better than every other DOS shooter for you?

I've been thinking about it, and I have played alot of DOS FPS games, but DOOM feels very different for others, and its mods play well.

Unlike wolf, which is great, but most of the wolf mods immitate doom (rather poorly) or just look weird.

DOOM has a retro feel to it, like an old awesome kung fu movie, or terminator or predator.

You feel powerful at times, and absolutely screwed in others.

Most games when you die, you go back to a check point. But no, in doom, you run out of ammo, you get surrounded in the dark with no health left. Bringing out tension.

Well thats why I like doom, its retro, scary, tense, hard, and just action packed and feels complete.

Y tu?

It is the most mod friendly game available with break-neck action mechanics that no other FPS has ever mimicked.

It's still fun to blast through with friends.

yellowmadness54 said:

Most DOS shooters are horribly unfun, in retrospect. (Of course, in my opinion, Doom 2 and Final Doom are horribly unfun as well.)

Also, id breathed enough life into the game with the -file parameter and by later open sourcing it. The gameplay, demonic theme, and other game elements are better than what's found in most games (IMO), but I wouldn't still be playing without the source port and modding communities as they exist today.

Im starting to see some of my comments disappear for some reason.

I know for a FACT I replied to technician's comment, saying "indeed it is and does"

is my internet acting up again?

Doom is addictive, has alot of replay value, the creepy atmosphere, fun to map for, and killing stuff never gets boring, the gore and the presence of hell. Love the textures, love the maps.

Just compare Doom to Wolfenstein and see what is different, all those things that Doom had is what made it my favourite. Doom completely blew Wolfenstein away.

-Monster infighting
-The simplistic gameplay
-The huge modding community
-Source ports

dutch devil said:

Doom is addictive, has alot of replay value, the creepy atmosphere, fun to map for, and killing stuff never gets boring, the gore and the presence of hell. Love the textures, love the maps.

Just compare Doom to Wolfenstein and see what is different, all those things that Doom had is what made it my favourite. Doom completely blew Wolfenstein away.

thats nice, but I wasn't comparing it to wolfenstein.

Well I was sort of, just comparing the two favs.

At times I've prefered wolf though. But I have to be in a nazi killin mood ;D

Oh yea, and developers who actually promoted and embraced third party modding, IIRC...unlike SOME (*coughActivisioncough*)

-A dev who actually gives a shit about the community (both Romero and Carmack have registered here)
-The shotgun actually behaves like a fucking shotgun
-The best community outside of CS and TES.
-Doom is the only game series to successfully balance suspense and atmospherics with breakneck slaughterfests. I've been playing games for 18 years, and I haven't seen any other game come close.
-Best soundtrack ever.

yellowmadness54 said:

To me, DOOM isn't just better than any other DOS shooter, it's better than every other shooter, period. It's better than any other game, period. DOOM is my absolute favorite of them all. I do fully admit that the modding community is a BIG part of that, though, but it wouldn't be that strong if DOOM weren't so good for modding. It's simple enough that most people can make a map if they study some help guides a bit, but flexible enough that you can bring most of your ideas to life if you really put effort into it.

That aside, I've always loved the atmosphere. Sometimes it's drenched with nonstop action, sometimes it's creepy and haunting, and sometimes it's even kind of pretty (Earth.wad, anyone?). It can be very immersive and realistic, abstract and warped, and sometimes something in between (sort of like E2 of the original DOOM, where human technology and Hell merged into something bizarre).

The weapon balance is pretty great, too, and most every weapon serves a specific purpose, unlike many modern shooters where you just have a few dozen automatic weapons that only have slightly different firing rates and damage.

And though it can be modded to be as such, typically, DOOM is lacking severely in cutscenes, dialogue, and scripted sequences, and that's GREAT. If I want an elaborate, character-driven story, I can read a book or watch a movie. I'm here to shoot stuff. The protagonist is silent and nameless, which lets you better immerse yourself into the role of the hero. And even better, without a lot of carefully scripted sequences, the gameplay is more flexible, resulting in levels that aren't strictly linear, as well as hidden, optional areas and even secret levels.

That's another thing I love about DOOM: secrets. It tantalizes with prizes seemingly out of reach, and fills you with wonder about how to go about getting to them. This results in a bit of puzzle solving, which gives DOOM almost an action-adventure flair, further widening its appeal.

And though people love to compare them, DOOM easily trumps Serious Sam and Painkiller. SS and PK are basically nothing but huge battles, over and over again, until the brain is desensitized to all the nonstop action and grows weary; they're more in line with Smash TV than DOOM. DOOM has large battles, but also medium and small battles, and even has rooms with no enemies at all; some of the rooms are big, some are just tiny hallways, and some are intricate structures filled with windows and platforms, instead of basically every room being an enormous arena. This is why games that are supposedly trying to "carry on the legacy of DOOM" fail miserably, since they don't understand the variety in the gameplay that the original had.

There's lots of reasons why DOOM is my favorite, and always will be.

Technician said:

It is the most mod friendly game available with break-neck action mechanics that no other FPS has ever mimicked.

I think you just summarised it all in one sentence.

As for me, I love it because it's the perfect game. Not the perfect FPS, the perfect game. No other game comes really close to it's level of perfection.

What makes Doom so great?

Us.

I'm not just talking about the modding community, though it is a major part of it. We display such a passion for this old game the likes no other game could ask for or even dream of. Unlike other games that exist now only as conversation pieces (e.g. Hey I remember X that was a great game!). Case in point, one of my bosses at work asked for my X-Box Live account and I wrote it down and gave it to him. He looks at it and looks back at me and says "doomer4life?, you mean like that old first person shooter?". I respond with "Yeah, I still play it, one of, if not, my favorite game of all time." I proceeded to tell him that Doom still has an extensive modding community, custom levels, anything and everything. He was blown away, couldn't believe it.

In short: Doom is the absolute best example of a game that just simply will not go quietly into the good night. Doom is the greatest FPS, but it is us, our passion, and its lasting appeal that makes it truly legendary.

I am not having doom games on my pc but have played it lot of times with my friends in their pc and i felt very interesting, at the time we even got addicted to and we thought we have to give some break to it. Now we play only when we get time to. These games are so interesting that if anyone start playing, though we say we are out of time and have to stop but will be playing again and again.

When I was thirteen in 1993, I considered it the landmark game. I still don't see it's mark in gaming surpassed. Games have merely become different since. It's like trying to top Beethoven's 9th, and when Brahams tried it, it was more like Quake.

Because of its endless supply of 3rd party pwads and the kick ass music Bobby Prince compose for the game.

Modern "action" games either have mind-numbingly linear maps, or mind-numbingly slow action. Doom has neither.

I gave Serious Sam and Painkiller a shot because people say they're similar to Doom, but got bored because their maps are really linear in comparison. Kill stuff, move to next checkpoint, rinse, repeat. No wandering around large, complex levels, killing stuff when you please, or just NOT killing stuff because you don't feel like it.

Obviously, the basic game play keeps us here, but I'd imagine that 99.9% of doomers probably use a sourceport and 99.9% of sourceports make a few changes by default, to the gameplay (though most ports can turn these off if the player wishes):

1. Making scenery mobj's solid to projectiles (by making them taller than they were in the original game due to 3. below).
2. Melee attacks don't have infinite vertical distance.
3. Obj's don't have infinite height.
4. Splash damage no longer has infinite vertical distance.

Hence 99.9% of us doomers are probably playing a tweaked version of the original game, rather than the original game. This does give Doom today, a slight advantage over other Dos FPS.

Spleen said:

I gave Serious Sam and Painkiller a shot because people say they're similar to Doom, but got bored because their maps are really linear in comparison. Kill stuff, move to next checkpoint, rinse, repeat. No wandering around large, complex levels, killing stuff when you please, or just NOT killing stuff because you don't feel like it.

Hear, hear. People who consider SS and PK the "new DOOM" probably only have old, foggy recollections of what DOOM is really like.

Vermil said:

Hence 99.9% of us doomers are probably playing a tweaked version of the original game, rather than the original game. This does give Doom today, a slight advantage over other Dos FPS.

That places me firmly in the .1% range, then. I use DOSBox to play the original EXE's most of the time, alternating to Chocolate Doom when needed (for easy WAD merging and such). I only use source ports when they are absolutely required to run a map/mod. Heck, I'm using DOOM.EXE to play Base Ganymede right now. :)

What makes doom great

-A good mix between non linear and linear level design.
-Good monster design.
-Cool textures.
-Cool setting (hell)
-A bunch of other stuff.

Cuz' it's diverse and also great. At least I can challenge myself against those hellspawn and also see if I've improved since I'd started.

I just love mapping and moding more than playing it. Usually when I complete the game 7 times I may get bored because you keep playing the same gameplay, you memorize the enemy spots, you the know the traps, you know what is the next level, you know what music will play after this.

If this game still has the classic gameplay then I would leave it, but I'm just addicted for mapping, moding.... anything creative. It is super moding-friendly with the sourceport Zdoom, especially the scripting, and Doom Builder the greatest program gives you an extremely easy building levels. I'm sometimes lazy about making detail, but in Doom you can make it like in.... 7 minutes.

I like the game Serious Sam only because it has an Editor and also it brings you lots of variety, however it is boring to make detail in it and you need like 2 weeks to finish a level. Also in moding you need the knowledge of C++.

When I get bored of Doom it doesn't take long to bring back the mood. Also the Doomworld community is more popular and there is a lot of people who can give you feedback about your maps,mods...

All of this Plus, the game original is just like 12MB, with sourceports you don't worry about the size, it just about 40-60MB!

Downloading the megawads and playing it is just... fun.

yellowmadness54 said:
DOOM has a retro feel to it, like an old awesome kung fu movie, or terminator or predator.

Apart from an old school feel, I think its retro character also gives is a distinctive character. It creates its own type of (pixelated but appealing) world.

You feel powerful at times, and absolutely screwed in others.

Not only strategically, in that monsters that aren't necessarily very dangerous can be optionally made tough, but it's also attractive in that it makes one feel powerful. From what I read in an interview, Romero at least had that in mind when creating the game.