Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

ZDoomGL Progress Report

Over on the ZDoom forums Timmie has posted some screenshots of the latest version ZDoomGL in-progress. The new version will support ZDoom 1.23 (and is currently compatible with 1.23b33) and will use a newly rewritten engine. Timmie lists some additional new features in his post here.

Looks like my evil plot to hire Julian to post news once in a while as me has paid off.

Originally posted by Arioch
What "Arioch is Gay" top story? Did I miss something?

Nevermind me, I should've used a smiley or a j/k tag...

I'll reserve judgment until it's actually sitting in front of me, kthnx.

Just like I've been doing with every new version of Legacy and ZDoom.

Originally posted by AndrewB
Too bad it won't be the least bit stable. (Just a bit of defensive pessimism.)

I've been testing timmie's Zdoomgl on my system and so far stability hasn't been an issue. The limiting factor will be the zdoom base.

Holy smokes! I made news!

Just to clarify: it's not a completely rewritten engine, just certain parts of it are being rewritten. It's still using code from the old ZDoomGL, but there's a lot of new stuff in there.

Originally posted by AndrewB
Too bad it won't be the least bit stable. (Just a bit of defensive pessimism.)

Actually, it seems pretty good so far... There's a few problems I'm still trying to track down (map05 in tntd2kh1 crashes it and my tester reports that it occasionally crashes when you use the console), but it seems to be fairly solid... It's not bad, considering it's still very much an alpha version. If you want to test it (just to see how it compares to the old vesion), feel free to drop me a line...

Originally posted by fen boi

I've been testing timmie's Zdoomgl on my system and so far stability hasn't been an issue. The limiting factor will be the zdoom base.

Woohoo! Vote of confidence!

s[now, back to teh shack for you!]s

It never gave me any problems... it has always worked fine for me, I just hope the new one isn't buggy when it is upgraded, it usually becomes better anyhow. I can't complain.

The old versions of ZDoomGL seemed to be most unstable on systems with Voodoo cards.

Does this mean ZDoomGL will finally have Heretic/HeXen support?
/me crosses fingers

Originally posted by DooMBoy
Does this mean ZDoomGL will finally have Heretic/HeXen support?
/me crosses fingers

Probably. Though you could use JHexen and JHeretic...

Originally posted by pritch
is it just me or does zcajun not work with 33beta?

the zcajun directory isn't created (can't find bots.cfg when the addbot command is used), just copy from an older version like 1.22. Seems to work ok.

thanks, I meant zcajun.exe. I still get problems with added bots in 33beta from within zdoom which slow the fps rate to about .4, which is only why I asked. Mm, I still stick to v1.22, but I keep my .ini in hope!

ZCajun.exe is a seperate port; just like, say, Skulltag or ZDaemon, you don't run it with ZDoom or visa versa.

The bots are built into ZDoom, just use the appopriate console commands.