Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

I'm rather into wolfenstein now

There is an insane maze on this level. I don't remember there being such a crazy maze in the original. I also can't find the block of wood with the locked door... which is one of the few things I do remember from Wolf3d. I suppose it's possible it was on a different level, but I think it was on e3m7. I have found 5/6 secrets including

Spoiler

the secret exit

EDIT: somebody happened to just post a 100% video of E3M7 four days ago. What are the odds.... So I mis-remembered--there is no cube, just the wall you can't get passed. Still, I remember a cube you could walk around with a locked door on it--maybe another level?

EDIT: Uhhh.... why is Hitler so easy? He barely fires at all and his bunker crumbles way too easily. :sigh:

Orchid87 said:

I love both Wolf 3D and SoD, but I wish there was an automap.

Then you have to download and play the Wolf3D TC!

http://afadoomer.com/wolf3d/about.html

I figured out how to get sliding secret blocks in GZdoom, except there is one glaring bug. There is a 'you fail it' symbol in place of the secret blocks now, so that you can see right through the secret block into the secret area! Otherwise the secrets work as they should now (by the block sliding inward). Any idea how to fix this bug? I am using GZdoom version 1.5.0. I tried the latest version, but the 'you fail it' bug is still there.

I have played wolf 3d using the NewWolf source port, but whenever there is a level that ends with something besides an elevator switch, the game's scrip does not activate, and it is impossible to pass the level without cheating.

I'm not sure if this problem is unique to my computer, or what...

Also, as previously mentioned in this thread, areyep.com has some really, really good wolf mods. Spear Resurrection and Spear End of Destiny are both incredible. Both very difficult as well.

Hellbent said:

EDIT: Uhhh.... why is Hitler so easy?

Probably because he's Spiderdemon's precursor...

Gez said:

There is an optional addon for GZDoom which adds 3D model objects to the pushwalls, so that they can be pushed away instead of raising like Doom doors. But I don't really like it because with it you hear the pushwall sound twice -- once for the Doom-style door that's still there for ZDoom, and once for the model door.

That said, the latest version may feature polyobjects, taking advantage of the new pobj code in ZDoom. But there are other issues with it as well, so it's not perfect yet.

yes, it does. I don't hear the sound twice. But sometimes the secret doors don't behave correctly. For example, on E5M7, in the room where you get the yellow key, there is a secret door that pushes into a regular door! So in the game, the secret block only pushes in halfway, making it so I can't enter the two chambers on either side of the secret block (and on either side of the regular door that the secret block is trying to push into). I discovered the door by clipping. The door opens up into another room. Very strange! any ideas?

Figured it out. I opened the door from the other side and pushed the secret block the other way. I guess it wasn't meant to be pushable from the side I first pushed it. But the makers made a mistake.

In other news, the E5 secret level is very underwhelming. I kind of see the point of it, but it's ultimately kinda lame compared to regular levels and other secret levels. Getting to the secret level was kinda cool tho. E5 has lots of treasure in it (more than any other episode so far). It's very fond of crowns!

There was also a Wolfish game on the megadrive/Genesis called Zero Tolerance which was pretty fun, and had over 100 levels! It had a few more "advanced" effects, though, such as windows, "skies" (only on very few levels) walls you could "damage" and loads of weapons and gadgets including a torch and night-vision!

Given the hardware limitations of that console, though, the actual "play area" was very small, like a "visor". But there was also an on-screen automap.

UnendingRequiem said:

Anyone notice how the maps are all swastikas?

Some of them.. not that many. E6M3 is swastika city.

I'm getting damn good at the wolf. I blazed through the last level. I even beat par on the penultimate level. (But I skipped a key..)

The boss was sooo easy! I don't get it. He falls easier than the blue guy from E1. :( Or seemed to me. I was expecting a long drawn out battle of epic proportions. Spear of Destiny next.

Spear of Destiny's final boss is even easier, since you can dodge his projectiles pretty effortlessly. Death Knight puts up a decent fight, though.

I think the bosses in the Lost Episodes are also a lot more challenging, but I don't really care for the art style in those, so I haven't played them in a while.

I tried to play Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge, but the new textures are just headache-inducingly bad, and too much of the gameplay revolves around finding secret pushwalls in order to get anywhere. I'll just stick to Id's levels, thanks.

Mithran Denizen said:

Spear of Destiny's final boss is even easier, since you can dodge his projectiles pretty effortlessly. Death Knight puts up a decent fight, though.

I actually thought the Death Knight was pitifully easy as well. I got him in under a minute, but maybe the iPad version has weaker enemies. :P

I should probably rephrase what I said. I don't think it's so much the Death Knight himself that I found particularly tough (he's essentially just General Fettgesicht from Episode 6 with upgraded attacks), but rather the large number of mutants that roam around the level.

On the highest skill setting at least, there are a good number of them, and they always creep around unpredictably and make the fight a lot tougher (Since they make no activation sound, and react/fire so quickly). If you hide in the starting room and pick them off without luring the Boss in with you, it's not as bad, but I really prefer to sprint headfirst into the fights in Wolfenstein, as it's a lot more satisfying. :)

For the record, I still think the mutants in Wolf3D are some of the scariest FPS enemies ever, even today. I am petrified when I know I have to go through a maze of them. They're too fast, too quiet, and can kill you in a flash. Freak me right out.

Megamur said:

For the record, I still think the mutants in Wolf3D are some of the scariest FPS enemies ever, even today. I am petrified when I know I have to go through a maze of them. They're too fast, too quiet, and can kill you in a flash. Freak me right out.

I found them hilarious when I was a kid because they looked like they were dancing when they attacked.

The worst thing about them is that their attacks are instant. Even with the chaingun you can't be sure that they won't sneak in a shot or two between their painstates.

Doomhuntress said:

Castle Totenkopf SDL.
Play it.

Funnily enough i prefer the non SDL version of Castle Totenkopf.

Craigs said:

I found them hilarious when I was a kid because they looked like they were dancing when they attacked.