Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom-Child

lighting engines

Does anyone know of any resources for coding a lighting engine? I'm using OpenGL at the moment. My reasons include:

1) Fuck DirectX.
2) Fuck DirectX.
3) Fuck DirectX.

DC

Um, sorry, I don't know of any resources for OpenGL light engines, but why exactly is it that you need to know this? I think I recall you were doing a total DooM engine rewrite some time ago, what's happening with that?

in my opinion, trying to add lightning like what Quake 1 has is like turning Doom's engine into a completly different game. But I think that would be interesting though...but its easier to check out Quake 1's source code on lightning...

In fact... Implementing Quake-style lighting in DOOM would be an awesome thing. It's probably one of the few features that would NOT "kill the Doom feeling".

Imagine how much easier editing would be... just insert an object and you get lighting that would take you 15 minutes to build with sectors.

Originally posted by Fredrik
Imagine how much easier editing would be... just insert an object and you get lighting that would take you 15 minutes to build with sectors.

Welcome to 1995 :P

Heh, blame the source port authors.

Yes. Give us decent lighting and 3D Floors dammit.

Originally posted by Maonth

Yes. Give us decent lighting and 3D Floors dammit.

3D floors... bah. We have that already.

3D floors... bah. We have that already.

Not in ZDOOM...where it belongs.

Yes, but that lighting will also take you 15 minutes to calculate :) The Quake games use lightmaps, which are little greyscale images blended over the textures to simulate shadows. It would be cool to have in a Doom-engine game, but would require someone to go off and write a lightmap compiler program for Doom maps - which is a lot of hard work.

A single light wouldn't take 15 minutes to calculate... :P

I don't think build times would really bother anyone.

Vavoom has all the features mentioned here... too bad it's slower than me.

Heheh... Maonth and Ralphis agree on so many things...

You're like brothers!

fuck you :P

Originally posted by Nuno Correia
Vavoom has all the features mentioned here... too bad it's slower than me.

vavoom is slow BECAUSE it has all them features the doom engine weren't designed for....

If you're planning to process static shadows within those lightmaps first you need a better-than-sex GLNode compiler...

Originally posted by Maonth

fuck you :P

I meant that brothers always argue with each other and never get along.

Originally posted by SlayeR
I think I recall you were doing a total DooM engine rewrite some time ago, what's happening with that?

I've had to put that on the back burner for now while I work on a slightly less ambitious project that might make things a little more interesting. I'm writing a particle engine that will be used for building everything in a world. Buildings, players, everything. Of course, writing the particle engine is the first step.

DC