Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
colBoh

Transferring textures.

I know, I know, newbie question. I'd still like to find out.

I have a good handle on how to copy textures from, say, Plutonia or Ultimate Doom, into my custom Doom II WAD, and implementing them without the game looking all glitchy.

Now I'd like to know, is there a way to transfer whole textures at once that are made up of multiple patches? I have no idea on how to extract an entire texture, and move it to my WAD. I tried using "export", or copy/pasting, but it does so with entire texture files, and not individual textures. I have XWE and SLADE. A little assistance here?

I use SLumpEd to copy stuff between wads, just open both and once and drag. If I misread your post I apologize.

If they're a mix of patches I don't know if you can do that. If its a list of textures then it's possible w/ above.

I'm pretty sure XWE does not allowing "copying" texture definitions from one TEXTUREX to another. In fact, it's a bit complicated to do because patches in TEXTURE1/2 are stored as numbers, where the number is a patch in PNAMES. I'm not sure about Slade3, but my guess is no.

Now if you want to copy a TEXTURE1 and it's corresponding PNAMES to a different wad, then that is okay as long as you copy over all the patches (graphics) too. Of course this doesn't really get you anywhere...

So in short, you can copy the whole thing, but you can't tranfer single texture definitions. You have to manually re-add them to your TEXTURE1/PNAMES lump in your new wad.

Man, I really need to write an in-depth article explaining all this stuff, cause texture/patch related questions pop up here quite often.

Apart from manually editing texture lumps, the only way I've managed to transfer multi-patch texture definitions from one wad to another is by using DeuTex (which extracts and saves texture lumps as plain text) and a text editor to copy/paste individual textures. It's a bit more tedious than using a point'n'click editor but does the job.

GreyGhost said:

Apart from manually editing texture lumps, the only way I've managed to transfer multi-patch texture definitions from one wad to another is by using DeuTex (which extracts and saves texture lumps as plain text) and a text editor to copy/paste individual textures. It's a bit more tedious than using a point'n'click editor but does the job.

Copy/pasting a few dozen lines of text doesn't sound as tedious as reassembling textures by hand. Where can I download DeuTex?

Use slumped.

Vanilla compatibility : Open the iwad you want textures out of -> copy the patch you want -> paste to your custom wad -> right click and go to apply texture1(you may also have to apply pnames, im not sure). Also i believe slumped lets you go into the textures and move the patches around as well.

Zdoom based engine compatibility : Open the iwad you want textures out of -> copy the patch you want -> paste to your custom wad -> create a TX_START lump above the patch and a TX_END lump below it.

Alternatively you can go to Realm667.com and download the doom textures for doom 2 and include it in your custom wad(though you should probably give credit to the ripper) and you should be half done already.

AlysiumX said:

Use slumped.

Vanilla compatibility : Open the iwad you want textures out of -> copy the patch you want -> paste to your custom wad -> right click and go to apply texture1...

I think that he's asking how to copy entire textures (Not just patches) from one wad to another. There are lots of texture with multiple patches, and it can be a real pain the ass to have to remake the entire texture if the patches are in odd locations or in complicated layers.

Processingcontrol said:

I think that he's asking how to copy entire textures (Not just patches) from one wad to another. There are lots of texture with multiple patches, and it can be a real pain the ass to have to remake the entire texture if the patches are in odd locations or in complicated layers.

Yes, that's exactly it. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.
I suppose I could always copy/paste the texture properties into a single text document, then into my WAD. I was just wondering if there was a faster way.

oh.. hmm.. you might be able to take a screenshot from the texture lump and paste it into paint and save it as a 256 color bmp.. not sure if that will lessen the quality or not. If your using the zdoom based option, it wont matter cause those textures don't require it to be 256 colors.

Provided the texture preview is 1:1 that approach should work, though you'll loose the original palette. An alternative approach (probably just as tedious as editing the texture lump) is to assemble the textures in an image editor, that way the palette would be retained.

I've done the whole screenshot/paint thing to copy multi-patch textures, but it was really more trouble then it was worth. I find it faster to just copy the patches and arrange them appropriately. But maybe with a little more time put into it the screenshot method would work better.

I've yet to read this thread thoroughly and don't know if this is already said, but:

Why not try to assemble the required Patches yourself and build them in your own custom TEXTURE file? Just start a new Entry as TEXTURE2 and copy and paste whatever patches you want from another wad, this is quick and easy, and not only that but it allows you the customization option to create all kinds of other textures without you having to flood your wad with unnecessary patches that are only going to be used once or twice and take up massive amounts of space.

EmZee712 said:

I've yet to read this thread thoroughly and don't know if this is already said, but:

Why not try to assemble the required Patches yourself and build them in your own custom TEXTURE file? Just start a new Entry as TEXTURE2 and copy and paste whatever patches you want from another wad, this is quick and easy, and not only that but it allows you the customization option to create all kinds of other textures without you having to flood your wad with unnecessary patches that are only going to be used once or twice and take up massive amounts of space.

Is that possible with a <i>DOOM II</i> WAD? The TEXTURE2 idea doesn't sound much faster, but it sounds more convenient-- only one source to take patches from, rather than skim through all the patches you don't need for one patch.

Yes it's possible with Doom II and Final Doom. Since in the normal IWADs it's not even present, that gives you full freedom to make any texture you want without having to worry about copying the original textures first.

Well it is fast, depending on what texture you want. Doom contains lots of small patches which were formed together in their TEXTURE file, some even go up to 16 patches and it becomes too time consuming to program, but luckily not all textures are like this like the added on DooM2 patches.