Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnTuttle

Taking Advantage of OpenGL in gzdoom

Hello,

I've been curious for awhile now just how to use some of the features available for using OpenGL with Doom Builder 2. The dynamic lighting is was brought my attention to it. I have gzdoom but I don't know what else I should have or where to download it. I've been to the OpenGL website but I don't see anything Doom related, just information on OpenGL. Is there a place I can go to download whatever it is I need to use opengl with doom builder 2? Thank you for any help. -John.

JohnTuttle said:

Is there a place I can go to download whatever it is I need to use opengl with doom builder 2?

Some of the OpenGL features supported by GZDooM must be integrated into your mod, either through a map editor (such as DB2) or a resource editor (such as DeepSea, XWE, SLADE, or SlumpEd).

Some features that you can incorporate in a map editor include:

1. Dynamic lights
2. 3D structures, including sloped 3D constructs
3. Deep/swimmable liquids, including liquid columns that can be viewed from the outside.

None of these items is "downloadable" for use in DB2; rather, DB2 natively supports these features.

Some features that you can incorporate via a resource editor include:

1. Brightmaps
2. Glowing flats
3. Skyboxes
4. High resolution graphics in true color
5. Models
6. Shaders for sprites

Aside from glowing flats & shaders, all other items above require the creation of custom resources (many of which are freely available for download). Glowing flats & shaders can be defined via GLDEFS.

Note that GZDooM comes with a file named brightmaps.pk3. This provides brightmaps for sprites but not for textures & flats.

Thank you for the replay ReX. My apologies for not posting again sooner, even though I had read the post. I haven't had much time to do Doom Building recently, because of work and, I moved! I had no clue you had to load the pk3 file as a resource, I guess I just assumed it was already using it or something. I will load this as a resource and with it I should have access to some new lighting features! How would I place dynamic lights though? I was browsing a random doom page (http://zdoom.org/wiki/Standard_editor_numbers) and it lead me to believe (or maybe assume) that I could place various types of dynamic lights as actorThings. One other question. I would like to implement some hi res textures but am not %100 sure on how to do so. I don't think I would need a walk through persay.. Pretty much, since this project is planned to have quality, I want to do everything correctly. I have no idea about importing hi res textures. I know that using XWE to import them as patches is a fail. I understand as far as, I need to get them in somehow as textures/flats and write a lump file.. and yeah. The zDoom wiki is a good resource but I seem to struggle sometimes finding a good detailed 'tutorial'. Again, thanks for the reply, the answer was so simple lol. Any more advice would be most appreciated, thanks!

JohnTuttle said:

How would I place dynamic lights though?

To place a dynamic light, first pick the type of light you wish to use. In your map editor (assuming it's configured for GZDooM) simply use the menu to select the appropriate dynamic light thing, and insert it in your map. If your editor is not suitably configured then you should insert any thing, then edit its properties to give it the appropriate thing number. For example, a simple point light has a thing number of 9800 and PointLightFlicker has a thing number of 9802. (Note that this is not the same as thing ID.)

I would like to implement some hi res textures but am not %100 sure on how to do so.... I know that using XWE to import them as patches is a fail. I understand as far as, I need to get them in somehow as textures/flats and write a lump file..

Hi-res textures are supported by some DooM source ports, but how they are handled depends on the port. In (G)ZDooM, for example, you can insert your hi-res textures into your mod (directly into a wad or into a folder in a pk3 format mod), then define the textures using a TEXTURES lump. If you're inserting hi-res textures that will replace stock DooM textures, put them between HI_START/HI_END markers (for a wad) or in a /Hires/ folder (for a pk3).

... I seem to struggle sometimes finding a good detailed 'tutorial'.

There are several tutorials specifically for GZDooM at this site.